Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro - Contention taken to a whole new level

Options
  • 03-12-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

I've been (im)patiently waiting for this new-thread page to load for the past 5 minutes (no exaggeration), after a previous 3-4 minute wait to get into the broadband forum.

It took about 3 minutes for a < 140 character message to get posted to twitter

Another forum I frequent has been loading for about 8 minutes now in total (following 2 or 3 re-tries at loading the pages)

WHAT THE HELL IS DIGIWEB DOING?

I used to be an incredibly happy customer of Digiweb's. I recommended the Metro service (in Dublin) to countless people over the course of my contract.
    However, I can no longer remember the last time I recommended the service to anyone, and would genuinely feel guilty if I were to suggest that an enemy sign up to it.

Who knows how long it will take to post this message, but please people, if you're having problems, speak up! Make sure they hear you and that they hear about how unhappy you are! I cannot be the only person in this situation (going by the other, recent thread regarding the Metro price increases).

Ugh, I'm so incredibly frustrated by this sub-par connection. How ANYONE could offer such a 'service' is beyond me.

</rant>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Uhm....

Have you called Digiweb and brought this up with them...?
    My service with Digiweb is fantastic. Can't ever complain with the quality of service I get from them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I had exactly the same, I ended up rebooting the digiweb modem and it failed to get an ip.

I was out for about an hour although it had been getting worse and worse thoughout this evening, it came back fully at about 9:15pm. I beleive it was more a problem than contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

bmcgrath wrote: »
    Uhm....

Have you called Digiweb and brought this up with them...?
    My service with Digiweb is fantastic. Can't ever complain with the quality of service I get from them :pac:

You do realise the time, right? Do you know of *any* support lines that are open at 10pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Adey2002 wrote: »
    I had exactly the same, I ended up rebooting the digiweb modem and it failed to get an ip.

I was out for about an hour although it had been getting worse and worse thoughout this evening, it came back fully at about 9:15pm. I beleive it was more a problem than contention.
    OMFG
    I suffer from very bad contention which gets worse and worse from 2pm onwards BUT tonight up untill approx 9.15pm i was getting just short of my 8megs.First time in months i've had it so good was a shame to see in go bad to its usual cr@p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Probably some klutz causing interference on 3 Rock ( again) . That site is a feckin zoo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

More likely to be interference than contention, I'd guess. Tallaght has been fine all evening anyway.

cgarvey wrote: »
    More likely to be interference than contention, I'd guess. Tallaght has been fine all evening anyway.

Quite possibly - I was incredibly frustrated about the whole thing last night (latest in a long line of Metro issues for me) so I pretty much lost the rag.

Anyway, it was still in a terrible state this morning (modem rebooted, but not the antennae) so I said I'd call at 8am to find out if anything was going on. According to support, there are/were no issues with the 3 rock station, and all of the levels on my modem appear to be within acceptable ranges.

*shrug*

Not much I can do unless I'm infront of the box when it happens again, and the hours are between 8am and 8pm
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

zoro wrote: »
    According to support, there are/were no issues with the 3 rock station,

That's alright then. We must have all just imagined the problem.

Well its pretty much the stock response I've received from Metro for the past 8 months - There's nothing wrong with our system.
    Whether there is or not is beside the point though. If this is actually a hardware issue on their side then something isn't picking it up, and needs sorting out.

*1* person telling them there was something not right won't get it fixed though, so pick up your phone and start explaining what you experienced. Otherwise it may well end up being an issue with my hardware, and not the 3 rock station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thats in the terms ans conditions."you must believe support as there is nothing wrong.....your feeling sleepy":p

Its just typical of Digiweb,if the guy on the end of the phone see's your signal/stats are all fine it not possible that there could be a problem and they just fob you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Call every day. Email every day. Keep badgering them for whatever you can get from them, engineer callout etc...

Lord knows they badger me enough with "You may have noticed your connection speed has slowed, thats because you're over your cap. Would you like to purchase a further 10GB for just €5.99 per month?"

Raise your bloody caps and stop trying to screw people for more bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its not stats its sector contention. I had exactly the same problem in Limerick, I was moved off one sector onto another and went from 22.5 kb speed tests with 200 ping on a 10mb package to 9.6mb with 19 ping.

They have a severe overcrowding issue in some parts ala Irish Broadband a few years back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If its stated in there terms and you've gone over the stated cap and they say they'll get you with a FUP then there not doing anything wrong and your not helping anyone by bitching to there support

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

hi ive justed started on digiweb metro extra today i have yet to see it above 2.2 now thats far short of 12mb could this be a problem or contention sorry id this is off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've had no problems what so ever with the connection over the last 10months.

I had asked which mast I'm on, he was reluctant to tell me but I got a yes when asked if I was on the 3rock mast.

Maybe i'm lucky? It wouldn't be that the antenna box has been misaligned over the period of time you've been with them? Only time i noticed drop in speed/ping is when weather gets bad, which is to be expected I think.

I'm with zoro on that if your having problems you should make yourself be heard!

Advertisement