Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAVING CERT MUSIC

Options
  • 03-12-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey! Im thinking about taking up music for the leaving cert. I'm in 6th year now..im not able to read music well but im fairly confident i'd get good marks in playing the guitar for my practical..is it too late to take up music? Plz help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Baybay

Don't forget that there's theory involved too but if you feel you can do it and have the time to devote to the catch up, then give it a go.

I don't know that I'd drop one of your existing subjects for it though.

I suggest that you talk to someone, maybe in your school, who is already doing music as an extra subject to see how feasible they feel it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I apologise for the long post in advance.

Well the practical is early on, in March usually I think? Can't remember. So if you think you can do well in the practical that's a good thing at least. You'll need to do 6 pieces if you're doing higher level and some sight reading or clapping back also.

Sample sight reading tests and the clapping back things are available here but they won't be much use to you if you can't read music at all.

Also be aware that the practical is only worth maximum 50% of your grade. There's also a composition paper and a listening paper both worth 25% each. Past papers of these are here.You really would have to learn to read music tbh and familiarise yourself with the set works and irish music quickly enough to get on with these.

I reckon your biggest obstacle would be the composition paper. You do two questions which both involve having to read, understand and write written music. There's some reading of music involved in the listening but not as much, although you would need to familiarise yourself with musical terms.

Sorry for the long post. Basically if you have a good head on ya and a bit of determination and a decent memory you could probably do well. If it's the Bohemian Rhapsody/Romeo and Juliet/Jesu der du meine Seele course then I could probably give you some notes from my leaving.

Sorry, whole lot of messy waffle up there. If you want any more help you can pm me if you like. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Heya! it's definately not too late to take up music!
    If you can't write music then don't be expecting to get an A1 but the practical is easy to get full marks in (coming from someone who got 99% in it!) even if you do make some small mistakes.
    You would also be able to pick up a few marks on the listening paper (25%) without putting too much work in as there are lots of multiple choice/questions that ask you just to describe pieces etc.
    If you were to take it up now i'd focus on the composition paper just to manage to get something down, which would give you a fair share of the remaining 25%. Even just by recognising the key you'll pass this paper!
    Music is very hard to get an A1 in but likewise is very hard to fail so go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I'd be doubtful if it were me tbh, learning to read music confidently is something that takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Hey! Im thinking about taking up music for the leaving cert. I'm in 6th year now..im not able to read music well but im fairly confident i'd get good marks in playing the guitar for my practical..is it too late to take up music? Plz help! :)

Laura?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd be hesitant about recommending Music to someone who can't read music... As someone said above, the composition paper is all entirely that stuff, not only do you have to be able to read music, you need a good knowledge of music theory (grade 4 or 5 with the ABRSM I'd hazard... well that'd be if you want a high mark I suppose).
    Learning the set works doesn't EXACTLY require you to be able to read music, but being able to follow the score is rather helpful... god I spent a good hour with a girl from my music class who wasn't the best at reading music, listening to the set works and following the score with my finger so she could see what was going on.

But yeah, if you feel you can learn to read music quickly enough I suppose it wouldn't be too hard... I have no idea how long it takes to learn so I can't really comment about that!

Advertisement