Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

K-1 Dynamite!! 2008 - New Year's Eve Show

Options
  • 04-12-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

The card is beginning to take shape for this event, here's what's set so far:

MMA Rules:

DREAM Lightweight Title fight: Joachim Hansen (c) vs JZ Calvancante
    Eddie Alvarez vs Shinya Aoki
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs Kiyoshi Tamura
    Cro Cop vs Alistair Overeem

K-1 Rules:

Gegard Mousasi vs Musashi
    Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Kozo Takeda

There's also a K-1 Under-18 tournament with four fighters

The first three fights that I listed all really interest me, especially the Sakuraba/Tamura fight. Even though you could say that the fight is ten years too late, if they could make some sort of preview show based around that fight it would be so compelling. Sakuraba finally getting his hands on Tamura. I just hope that he can get the win now :pac:

Mousasi has been doing so well in MMA lately, you'd wonder why he wants to give K-1 a go. I guess he just wants to fight

There are some reports saying that Cro Cop won't be fit for the show and that Sergei Kharitonov will be Overeem's opponent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Kharitonov will murder Overeem if he gets his hands on him.
    As for Saku, when he was healthy and had the speed to take anyone down with a single leg he was unbeatable. I am worried he will lose though, all true fans know Tamura ducked him like a coward and is only fighting him now as Saku's battered body is vulnerable. I hope Saku wins by submission in rd 1.

Kharitonov will murder Overeem if he gets his hands on him.

Given that they fought twice, with Overeem murdering him once and Kharitonov KO'ing him after they both seemed to gas, I would say that the evidence thus far would suggest an even enough fight.

From what I've heard Mirko definitely won't be fighting on NYE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Poor Cro Cop. He just never found his legs after Pride.

No unfortunately he found Gonzaga's leg and never seemed to get over it. He looks a shell of the OWGP Champ of 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I heard a rumour on sherdog that crocop will only fight overeem if it's X- arm rules.

• Advertisement

Given that they fought twice, with Overeem murdering him once and Kharitonov KO'ing him after they both seemed to gas, I would say that the evidence thus far would suggest an even enough fight.

From what I've heard Mirko definitely won't be fighting on NYE.

You are right, I just love Kharitonov, he is my second favourite HW after Fedor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

A few notes on the show from today's Wrestling Observer:

The Musashi vs Mousasi fight is being marketed around both guys names being pronounced the same way in Japanese and the loser will have to give up their name :pac:

The FEG president, Sadaharu Tanigawa (their equivalent of Dana White), said that Cro Cop vs Overeem won't be happening, but they want it on a 2009 DREAM show. He said that they haven't agreed a deal with Satoshi Ishii (the judo gold medalist and potential saviour of Japanese MMA) yet but the word is that they are trying to get him on the show for at least an interview

A match that they attempted to book was Cro Cop vs Asashoryu, a 330lb sumo wrestler. Didn't work out for whatever reason, presumably Cro Cop not being ready. They also tried to book Masato (K-1 fighter) vs Kawajiri as a "battle of heartthrobs" under K-1 rules, but Masato wasn't ready after his recent World Grand Prix victory

The show isn't likely to do very well in the ratings as there are no major draws on the card. The tv station that it's airing on, TBS, is also airing a boxing show before the K-1 show and if the boxing does better then TBS could end up investing more heavily in that rather than MMA/kickboxing next year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dragan wrote: »
    Poor Cro Cop. He just never found his legs after Pride.

He should have looked on the other side of his ankle. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Some great fights and some big contraversy in the final of last nights K1 WGP, did anyone else catch it?

Killme00 wrote: »
    Some great fights and some big contraversy in the final of last nights K1 WGP, did anyone else catch it?

I've only watched the first few fights. The spinning heel kick followed by the flying kick that Badr Hari hit Peter Aerts with was a thing of beauty :)

EDIT: Five minutes in:

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »

I did. Badr Hari went from hero to zero quite quickly. He pulled out some of the best standup fighting Ive ever seen only to make a total balls of it in the Final. He deserved the DQ and that means he gets no payment at all for his nights work.

Foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Has Alveraz and Aoki been confirmed yet?? i thought it was still only talk at this point??

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Has Alveraz and Aoki been confirmed yet?? i thought it was still only talk at this point??

It was reported as official but then Alvarez's manager said that it's not a done deal yet. My money would be on it happening

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13449/alvarez-vs-aoki-hunt-vs-lebanner-added-to-dec-31-dynamite-card.mma

Alvarez vs Aoki is now official

And Mark Hunt vs Jerome Le Banner has been added, under MMA rules. Interesting fight. By my count Le Banner has a 3-1 record against Hunt in kickboxing matches. I'd favour Hunt under MMA rules, but I don't know if Hunt will try to take advantage of that or if he'll just try to keep it standing

I like Alvarez and Aoki but Alvarez is going to smash Aoki in the first round IMO.

I like Alvarez and Aoki but Alvarez is going to smash Aoki in the first round IMO.

The moment it hits the ground Aoki has it won I think

Advertisement