Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All human beings are Homo sapiens. What does it mean for science? Need help please

Options
  • 04-12-2008 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello amigos,
    i am supposed to write a paper about the topic "There are good reasons to assume that all human beings are exemplars of the natural species Homo sapiens. What does that mean for International Business Studies as a science?"

Could you give me a little advice or share your thoughts because i have pretty much no idea with what conclusion or arguments i should come up with :(
    Kind Regards
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's an extremely strangely phrased question. I presume the lecturer is using the word exemplar in the sense of "a typical or standard specimen". Based on the Business Studies reference I assume the lecturer is looking for you to use arguments along the lines of "Sex sells; all human beings display the typical reactions towards beautiful and arousing imagery" etc.

You'd really have to put it in the context of your lectures/notes though...they have to set the scene with something like this.

Also, don't use font tags :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MostWanted88

oh sry these font tags werent on purpose :)
    yea i know the question is somehow formulated quite wierd. damn lecturer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Weird? Try badly. I don't actually know what your lecturer is looking for, but from the "Business as a science" part, I assume he doesn't have the foggiest idea what science is.

All humans are homo's- Homo is our genus. There were 7 different species of humans, but only homo-sapiens (us) have survived to the present day. In scientific terms, the average human from New York or London or Tokyo or Bombay is no different physiologically or phycologically from the average man from deepest darkest Africa or from the tribes in the Amazon basin, or the Aborginals in Australia; only our culture is different. If you took babies from each part of the world and brought them up the same way, they'd be no different from one another (on average- obviously individuals differ greatly).

Humans and bananas share over 60% of our DNA, humans and chimps over 97%, and with other humans, we share over 99.97% of our DNA. The differences are extremely superficial.

What course are you actually doing? This is the philosophy forum, and yet the question references both science and business as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Business actually contains philosophy. Philosophy is a science in its own right.

Maybe the lecturer wanted to assess whether traditional business strategies would work for every human being out there? All people and cultures are different, some ethnic groups are more stuck up than other ones, etc. Maybe he/she wants to develop a universal "business theory of everything" that would work for any ethnic group out there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MostWanted88

Im taking the course Philosophy of science as a part of my bachelor studies. Thanks for the inspiring ideas. Already thought of implementing Darwinism, good idea?

Philosophy is a science in its own right.

No it isn't. Science is based on material, testable, reproducible, evidence-based research. Philosophy is not.

lol
    Im taking the course Philosophy of science as a part of my bachelor studies. Thanks for the inspiring ideas. Already thought of implementing Darwinism, good idea?

Implementing how? And do you properly understand evolution to avoid making yourself look foolish to your lecturer?

Have you tried asking other people in your class what they make of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

maths is a branch of philosophy and is often called "blind science." :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

maths is a branch of philosophy and is often called "blind science." :P

No, only aspects of Maths such as 'Logic' are a part of Philosophy. There's a whole lot more of Maths that has nothing to do with Philosophy :p

International Business Studies is also not a science but there is a trend to call anything that has strategies, logic and analysis, a science. It's stupid but that's the way it is, we have to deal with it.

All Human beings are Homo Sapiens - True (There's Logic for ya :p)
    What does it mean for IBS as a science.

In theory, It means that any IBS theory or strategy can be applied to all human beings.
    Is this regardless of culture, geographic location, gender?
    No.
    Culture, demographs (age, gender, location, religion) are all factors that need to be considered separately when attempting to determine the potential success of failure of any business strategy.

You need to look at campaigns and brands that have both succeeded globally (e.g. Coca-Cola) and brands that succeeded in one region/country but failed in another (see this due to differences in culture, language, gender etc.

That's my take on it but I'm not the one sitting your course and attending lectures...perhaps call to your lecturers office or talk to a tutor and ask for more information...

• Advertisement

you're no fun

you're no fun

Because it's fun to make nonsensical statements which expose one's ignorance of the topic?

pfft no, to spread misinformation

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on a tangent you could inquire as to whether neandaerthals could interbreed with cro-magnan or whatever. if there is evidence of interbreeding then they are the same species

you could also look at the trend of attractive women marrying millionares and how taller people get promoted more and whether this will lead to a new species later on who are tall attractive and rich and can no longer breed with the plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

lol
    Ouooo weeeee!!

If philosphy was science, there just would be no philosphy. God my head hurts now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Hello amigos,
    i am supposed to write a paper about the topic "There are good reasons to assume that all human beings are exemplars of the natural species Homo sapiens. What does that mean for International Business Studies as a science?"

Could you give me a little advice or share your thoughts because i have pretty much no idea with what conclusion or arguments i should come up with :(
    Kind Regards

What does it mean for science.

Is to find out why we are, what we came from, what we do as a species. Are there any missing links etc etc.

Science is basically meaning in this context. Verifying what exactly is homo sapiens. The question been asked, is simply stating science is to verify and study the subject with facts and proof.

If This make sense.

To me, homo sapiens is the biggest missing link we have. We are technically a hybrid or we come from something that we just dont know yet.

But I'l be bold, some do know they just won't tell you.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement