Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just bricked my iPhone 3G - now what?

• 04-12-2008 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi,

I dropped my iPhone 3G today - dropped it hard by accident. It looks to be an LCD problem as it's got the dreaded "white screen of death" - I've no interface at all to work off. I was still able to ring the device (before I cold booted it) and I know the operating system is still working as I can plug it in to iTunes and get a backup of data off it. (plus the bloody alarm went off earlier and I had to guess how to switch it off by mucking around to mimick what one would normally see on the screen.)

I've got the o2 insurance on the phone. I went into the Dundrum store this evening and they suggested I get into an o2 store tomorrow during the day and that they would be able to get a replacement sorted pretty quickly as I have insurance. They said it would need to be during the day so they could ring the insurance crowd. The store attendant seemed to suggest that the phone is well and truly bricked and that I will need a new handset.

Does anyone know from what I've described if that is the case (the phone is obviously still alive in some way given that I can interface with it via iTunes - i just can't use it at all!). Should I just bite the bullet and get a new one instead of going through a repair process.

Any advice as to what I should do is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

ct_roy wrote: »
    Should I just bite the bullet and get a new one instead of going through a repair process.
    Yes. Get a new one.

It's expensive to be repaired, and either way whether you are paying the repair or the insurance, when a phone drops and the screen breaks, especially the iPhone, you dont know what else might be going on the blink.

Just pay the €35 and get your new phone.
    Your as well off.
    My opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

cheers Bob,

think I will defo go with new option. Been reading some other threads and the whole repair route looks to be a mess with all o2/apple products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

ct_roy wrote: »
    cheers Bob,

think I will defo go with new option. Been reading some other threads and the whole repair route looks to be a mess with all o2/apple products.

Your welcome. Yes, because o2 send them to a company that sends them to apple, and then back to the company, then back to o2 and then back to the customer.

And then, on top of that, the iphone's are an utter bítch to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Your welcome. Yes, because o2 send them to a company that sends them to apple, and then back to the company, then back to o2 and then back to the customer.

And then, on top of that, the iphone's are an utter bítch to repair.

Yeah, I work in Carphone and we have to send them to england to be repaired, any other phone goes to MPRC in Sandyford

Advertisement