Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to choose an orthodontist?

• 04-12-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Well I've put it off for years and have decided to get braces. (I'm 26yrs old).

How do I choose an ortho?

By recommendation, Price or Convenience? Or are they all roughly the same - pricewise etc.?

Also, (I asked this in another thread) is it true you won't be able to claim tax back on any treatment from 2009?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

hi larianne,

I got braces 2 months ago.am in early 30s

Basically i would recommend to go to a dentist you know & trust.
    they will recommend 2 maybe 3 orthodontists.
    then I would post a message here asking does anyone know he/she etc..

If you get braces this year you can claim back 40% tax on med 2...next year only allowed to clain `20% I believe

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Price can vary dramatically from one place to another, so if price is a consideration for you, definitely do some looking around.

I'm currently 10 months into my treatment, which I'm having done in Newry. I've got clear (not ceramic, but actually clear) brackets on top, metal on the bottom. They're really pretty invisible, truth be told. You can't see them in pictures unless they're close up. For the braces, all my visits, a bonded and removable retainer on finish, and aftercare, it's costing a total of €3100. One of my primary reasons for seeking treatment in Newry initially was down to cost - I simply don't believe that I would get the same treatment, same braces, etc, in Dublin for anywhere near the same cost.

The reason I chose my specific ortho in Newry was because I liked how clean and modern his practice was, I liked that he could provide me with all ancillary services (e.g. x-rays) on site, and I liked his approach to dealing with me at my initial consult with him (which cost £70, including consult, xrays, and dental molds). I did a lot of research online prior to making the decision, and so when I mentioned this, he made sure to include the various names and dental terms so I could do more. He's also happy to explain what he's doing and why he's doing it. He also lets me pick coloured ligs for my bottom teeth (which are cool!), again, for no extra charge. If you can make the trip to Newry, I can give you his contact details (if you'd like).

I would look for a recommendation if you have any doubts about a particular ortho or clinic. I would also go for initial consults before signing anything away. If you visit, and you don't like the ortho, don't like the surgery, or have other concerns, seek a second opinion. You'll be committing yourself to this for quite some time, so make sure you're happy.

You can still claim tax back, it's just the rates they've changed. Up until the end of 2008 (e.g. all expenses during that period) you can claim at the highest tax rate that you pay. So if you pay tax at 41%, you can claim expenses back at 41%. From 2009 onwards, you may only claim 20% back, no matter what rate of tax you pay.

If you've got any questions, feel free to message or email me. I've got some good links, and will give whatever advice I can. Hope that helps.

Advertisement