Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Outooks: Winter 2008/2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The gate could open.

We might get 'The One':eek:

Rtavn1441.png

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

GFS 12Z Parallel Run:

This run was exceptional in terms of cold, which is showed beginning for Ireland at the T+ 168 timeframe. This potent cold continued out to T+300 for Ireland. In the more reliable timeframe, up to T+180, this run was very very good.

For this operational run, 18Z, I want to show some charts from the higher resolution, more reliable timeframe as well as FI:

At T+135 Hours from now, we have cold to potently cold air about 300 - 400 miles to our east.

h850t850eu.png

T+ 150.
    At this point we have very high pressure over Greenland, with potently cold air again to our East. Ireland would also be entering a northeasterly airflow at this point of the run verified.

h850t850eu.png

T+159

A bitter northeasterly airflow is now approaching Ireland.

h850t850eu.png

T+168 - A snow risk now approaches Ireland from the Northeast, with upper 850hPA temps of -5 approaching the east coast.

h850t850eu.png

AT T+180, Upper temps are between -5 and -7 over Ireland, with a potently cold northeasterly flow

h850t850eu.png

If things continue to trend this way, then we are potentially on course for a wintry outbreak possibly beginning between the 3rd and 5th of January. If things continue like this, the incursion could be from a point north of east.

I will post FI charts shortly. But this is an excellent run out to T+180. Excellent news. But Extreme caution is advised at this point, nothing is certain as of yet.

SA.

And here is the chart for Sunday 5th of January, with upper temps of -10 in the east of Ireland, and a substantial snow risk.

I must say, that something is possibly brewing in terms of potent cold.

However, this chart is still 204 Hours out from now, so please, extreme caution advised.

h850t850eu.png

Substantial snow risk to all areas if this came off, but its still FI @ T+252

h850t850eu.png

The cold continues almost for the whole run way out into FI, here is T+372:

h850t850eu.png

For tonight's GFS 18Z run, the charts say it all, from about +165 to T+384. However, its still far too early to get too excited, just yet anway.

Regards to all,
    SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Best run ever.

Could we be on the verge?

A good while to go yet, but its looking good :D

Best run ever.

Could we be on the verge?

A good while to go yet, but its looking good :D

Its hard not to get excited WC, because the building blocks and some of the potent cold have entered the high resolution, more reliable timeframe on the last two GFS operational runs.

As ever, extreme caution advised, but this could potentially be a top classic IMHO. Its still too early to be any way certain though.

Regards,
    SA. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Great ,I feel like not visitng this page now till the 5th of January :P

Pangea wrote: »
    Great ,I feel like not visitng this page now till the 5th of January :P

:D It would be great if we could just bank the model outputs as they are now for the 3rd to the 5th onwards.

The main point from tonight's output is that all the building blocks shore up and potent cold arrives in the somewhat more reliable timeframe.

However, this needs to make it past T+72, even T+48 before being certain.

Very very encouraging is one thing I can say with absolute certainty tonight.

Note that GFS Operational may still be a bit too quick with the intro of the cold, maybe by 24 hours or so, however the trend is there for a very cold outbreak, but nothing is certain yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

WOW:eek: The greatest run i have EVER seen althought a lot of the good stuff is in FI. But still its a amazing run.However - We will all be let down- no doubt about that -:its always the way.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

MUSEIST wrote: »
    WOW:eek: The greatest run i have EVER seen althought a lot of the good stuff is in FI. But still its a amazing run.However - We will all be let down- no doubt about that -:its always the way.:p

I hate to admit it but you are probably right. But then again, we haven't had a significant snow event for over 20 years now (87 being the last that I can recall in Dublin). The law of averages needs to put this right.

shamwari wrote: »
    I hate to admit it but you are probably right. But then again, we haven't had a significant snow event for over 20 years now (87 being the last that I can recall in Dublin). The law of averages needs to put this right.

In my memory we had significant snow in christmas 1995 and then in 2000 ;)
    12 inches of snow here in donegal in 2000

• Advertisement

Well out to T+276 or the 8th of January there is STUNNING ensemble agreement for a colder outbreak, with the ensemble mean 850hPA temps approaching and reaching - 8 for Dublin on the 5th.

This is significant IMO.

Once again, the very sharp cooling drop is in evidence from the 3rd to the 5th of January.

Nothing is certain right now, but what I will say is that if we get 48 hours of more of these outputs, then it could potentially be :D:D.

However, still extreme caution needed as of yet.

GFS 18Z Ensembles

I think the chart below says it all, GFS Operational was not really a cold outlier, so the winter wonderland charts on this run had support.

A clear drop in upper 850hPA temperatures between the 3rd and the 5th.
    Many ensembles trend towards -12 and -13.

The main onset of this cold is still 170 - 180 hours out, so it could all change yet, but certainly a very nice set of ensembles to say the least.

t850Dublin.png

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Well out to T+276 or the 8th of January there is STUNNING ensemble agreement for a colder outbreak, with the ensemble mean 850hPA temps approaching and reaching - 8 for Dublin on the 5th.

This is significant IMO.

Once again, the very sharp cooling drop is in evidence from the 3rd to the 5th of January.

Nothing is certain right now, but what I will say is that if we get 48 hours of more of these outputs, then it could potentially be :D:D.

-8?
    so its gona be -8, or is that the something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

In my memory we had significant snow in christmas 1995 and then in 2000 ;)
    12 inches of snow here in donegal in 2000

IIRC, we had no snow in Dublin in 95 or '00. We had some snow in March 01 but thats about it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Snowaddict, I am now getting very excited!

However, I will not tell any family or friends until a more reliable time frame is within our grasp!

However, going on what the seasoned members of this board are saying, there is a decent chance we are in for a real good cold spell

Will check back tomorrow with excitment and hope the up to date runs bear out our hopes

Till tomorrow, good night to all!
    SnowFan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Oh my God, these runs are unbearably delicious, I am trying to reach out and touch them, but they always just seem to just out of my grasp

This model watching crack is not for the weak of heart. :D

PS. Excellent summaries once again SA. :)

Sorry guys, one more post before I go to bed!

The BBC have now reduced the Dublin temperature from +7oC to +3oC for this Thursday....with a low of -2oC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0031

Their models might be bearing out what you guys are seeing on the charts?

Snowfan

-8?
    so its gona be -8, or is that the something else

Hey Pangea, I've updated my post above.
    This is the average upper 850hPA temp value, its not for the surface or the 2 metre temperatures. Here are the 2m temps for the 18Z run..

I've also updated my post above. Regards, SA. :)

t2mDublin.png

Hey Pangea, I've updated my post above.
    This is the average upper 850hPA temp value, its not for the surface or the 2 metre temperatures. Here are the 2m temps for the 18Z run..

I've also updated my post above. Regards, SA. :)
    ok thanks ,but what tempertures are the ones that u see on the weather forecast on tv, ground tempertures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

This is significant IMO.

GFS 18Z Ensembles

I think the chart below says it all, GFS Operational was not really a cold outlier, so the winter wonderland charts on this run had support.

A clear drop in upper 850hPA temperatures between the 3rd and the 5th.
    Many ensembles trend towards -12 and -13.

The main onset of this cold is still 170 - 180 hours out, so it could all change yet, but certainly a very nice set of ensembles to say the least.

t850Dublin.png

Fantastic support there- most models are now predicting cold.
    However remember the 23rd when we had fantastic charts but following days were awful- this could turn out the sam (hope not) but BEWARE.

ok thanks ,but what tempertures are the ones that u see on the weather forecast on tv, ground tempertures?

The TV one's are usually the surface level temps.

Regards,

• Advertisement

Finally, I have seen it stated on TWO in the last few minutes that Francis Wilson, the well respected UK Weather Forecaster has stated on Sky News Weather tonight that the end of next week looks like becoming extremely cold.

I don't know if this is correct, but if this is the case, then something is brewing IMO for a veteran forecaster to make a statement like that.

Regards,

Hi SA,

By "TWO" do you mean BBC Two?

If so did Francis give any extra info?

Snowfan

snowfan wrote: »
    Hi SA,

By "TWO" do you mean BBC Two?

If so did Francis give any extra info?

Snowfan

Nope TWO or the The Weather Outlook is another UK Weather Forum.

Not that I know of as yet, but if he did state this, its very encouraging.

Tonight, we stand at the brink of a potential wintry outbreak to be honest.

However, it may not come to fruition, but the signs are there (Although these are still largely in FI). Treat every output with caution over the next few days, always check the ensemble mean after every run, because these will show the way things are trending.

Regards to all,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hmmm, if the models have been talked about having a certain inadequacy about them recently aparently on here and across other fora, what makes it certain that these are full on. These could quite reverse by this time tomorrow yet again.

Also the reliable timeframe. A forecast is considered to be 15% accurate at 5 days out thats upto T+120hrs (increasing to 73% for T+24hrs). As a forecast is usually based on model outputs (ECMWF and backed up by HIRLAM) this same rule applies anything therafter be taken very lightly.
    I would not be stocking up on Winter supplies just yet and telling the families to emigrate to warmer climes.

Although it does look nice and i would like a bit of that but waaaay out of reach and is not knocking on the door by any stretch. I like this thread and good read but take note as SA says, caution needs to be taken in viewing these models as they are not reliable just yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

However, it may not come to fruition, Treat every output with caution over the next few days, always check the ensemble mean after every run, because these will show the way things are trending.

Regards to all,

That is right SA, nothing weatherwise can be deemed even 75% certain until it is shown within the 72hr timeframe. These charts are painful to say the least because they are so far away. However, trends have been known to show up even at 374hrs, but no doubt much modification will occur IF this trend was to contiune.

But all the same, model runs today quite spectacular. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Been lurking on TWO this evening ,

Their 'Model Output Discussion' has hit 18 pages in 6 hrs , phew ,

Something big is brewing.....:D

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Been lurking on TWO this evening ,

Their 'Model Output Discussion' has hit 18 pages in 6 hrs , phew ,

Something big is brewing.....:D

Yup , anyways all anyone needs to do is just look outside and see that we are very much in a cold snap, theres ice everywhere here in donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Yup , anyways all anyone needs to do is just look outside and see that we are very much in a cold snap, theres ice everywhere here in donegal.

Theres ''Ice'' in Kerry too mate ........

But this may only be the tip ''Iceberg''........

The real ''Icing'' on the cake may be just around the corner ........

(refering to the Model Outlook Discussion of course :rolleyes:)

:D:D:D.

I wont be able to post much today, so just this brief post regarding 00Z ensembles. They are still very very good, with GFS operational being a mild outlier at the end of the run for deep FI.

t850Dublin.png

However, there are also some milder solutions in there so extreme caution is still urged at this point. A lot of this potential colder evolution is still in FI, so give it another few days and see how it pans out.

EDIT: ECMWF is a stunner this morning. By T+120, almost all of the building blocks come into place.

ECM1-120.GIF?28-12

T+144, A northeasterly flow is approaching the UK.

Now, after this we are really looking at the unreliable, so great caution needed, but the following are the best set of ECMWF charts I have ever seen for cold potential.

T+168, a northeasterly flow approaches Ireland, Sunday 4th - 1am

ECM1-168.GIF?28-12

T+192, increasingly cold northeasterly flow

Then the final two charts are somewhat impressive to say the least: :cool:

ECM1-216.GIF?28-12

ECM1-240.GIF?28-12

I certainly hopes it works out for the best and will post again when I get the chance, but a word of caution once again, The majority of these charts are still in the unreliable timeframe, even when they reach the reliable you would have to be up to T+72 or T+48 with this type of setup to have any certainties

Shortwaves could play havoc with any cold potential in this setup, however things are looking quite good this morning.

Finally, the latest height anomoly charts show clearly the potential that is there, but it will be a tedious setup in tapping into that very cold air successfully. At the moment, the potential is there.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=73929

Regards to all,

• Advertisement

This is a quote from the uk met office weather wesbite
    "How long will the cold weather last? Find out next week"

Potential indeed.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement