Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Outooks: Winter 2008/2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/12/28/bitterly-cold-weather-forecast-for-new-year-115875-21000942/

The Sunday Mirror think the big freeze is coming. Night time temps next week of -6.

Story also on page 8 in the paper.

Im not really a fan of these news papers because imo i think they would print any aul bull sh1t but when your stuck in work with noting to do, you would do anything to pass the time. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Damo9090 wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/12/28/bitterly-cold-weather-forecast-for-new-year-115875-21000942/

The Sunday Mirror think the big freeze is coming. Night time temps next week of -6.

Such a load of c**k! :D These tabloid journos don't have a clue what they are writing about.* -6c nothing exceptional there?

Look at current temps in Scotland (http://www.xcweather.co.uk/) at 11am - Aviemore -10c : Loch Glascarnoch -8c : Altnaharra -6c - if the papers got hold of this info they be predicting the onset of the next ice age!

*BTW I do think we will have a cold couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Pangea wrote: »

They seem to be pretty certain of this cold snap even giving the second week in January a metion which is way out in FI.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Damo9090 wrote: »

I hate those rag papers, I remember 2 winters ago around mid November they predicted a UK-wide freeze up with temperatures going below -10C.... of course it didnt happen and we all had an entire winter of mild wet muck. They say this thing at least once almost every winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I found the following analysis on UKWeatherworld earlier. The lads over there are every bit as cautious about this as we are here, but nonetheless, their views make interesting reading:
    Evolution to T+168
    ECM shows trough disruption over the mid-Atlantic on day 6, which has the effect of weakening our high. Winds are easterlies for the Midlands southwards, with SE'lies or southerlies further north and west. By day 7 the high continues to decline, with westerlies for many as a result.
    Day 6 with GFS shows high pressure to the west and NNW'lies over the UK. By day 7 the high moves westwards as an upper trough extends SE'wards to the NE/ A trough covers the North Sea and cold northerlies and NW'lies are the result over the UK.

Looking further afield
    Further trough disruption occurs on day 8 with ECM, leading to the effect that our high gets pulled NW'wards. Cool northerlies and NNW'lies thus move over the UK, followed by stronger and colder nortehrlies on day 9 as low pressure deepens over the German Bight. By day 10 pressure builds strongly over the Denmark Strait, with a ridge over Northern Ireland and a mixture of northerlies and NW'lies for the UK.
    On day 8 with GFS a weak ridge covers the UK, bringing light but very cold ENE'lies and NE'lies. On day 9 much of the UK lies under a cold col, but strengthening easterlies bring heavy snow to the south of England. The snow spreads across much of the UK on day 10, driven on by a moderate NE'ly wind from a low over France.

Ensemble analysis (http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/graphe_ens3.php?x=306&ext=1&y=141&run=18&ville=Londres)
    The ensembles show temperatures aloft not far from average for the next five days or so, although it's likely to remain on the cold side at the surface. Thereafter a marked change to a colder, wetter type of weather is indicated, which could be prolonged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

shamwari wrote: »
    I found the following analysis on UKWeatherworld earlier. The lads over there are every bit as cautious about this as we are here, but nonetheless, their views make interesting reading:
    Evolution to T+168
    ECM shows trough disruption over the mid-Atlantic on day 6, which has the effect of weakening our high. Winds are easterlies for the Midlands southwards, with SE'lies or southerlies further north and west. By day 7 the high continues to decline, with westerlies for many as a result.
    Day 6 with GFS shows high pressure to the west and NNW'lies over the UK. By day 7 the high moves westwards as an upper trough extends SE'wards to the NE/ A trough covers the North Sea and cold northerlies and NW'lies are the result over the UK.

Looking further afield
    Further trough disruption occurs on day 8 with ECM, leading to the effect that our high gets pulled NW'wards. Cool northerlies and NNW'lies thus move over the UK, followed by stronger and colder nortehrlies on day 9 as low pressure deepens over the German Bight. By day 10 pressure builds strongly over the Denmark Strait, with a ridge over Northern Ireland and a mixture of northerlies and NW'lies for the UK.
    On day 8 with GFS a weak ridge covers the UK, bringing light but very cold ENE'lies and NE'lies. On day 9 much of the UK lies under a cold col, but strengthening easterlies bring heavy snow to the south of England. The snow spreads across much of the UK on day 10, driven on by a moderate NE'ly wind from a low over France.

Ensemble analysis (http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/graphe_ens3.php?x=306&ext=1&y=141&run=18&ville=Londres)
    The ensembles show temperatures aloft not far from average for the next five days or so, although it's likely to remain on the cold side at the surface. Thereafter a marked change to a colder, wetter type of weather is indicated, which could be prolonged.
    Nice
    By colder and wetter does he mean snow ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some nice charts out now (GFS and ECM).

The really good stuff keeps getting pushed back into FI though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECMWF continuing the theme of a substantial pressure build to the north in the latest run.

Even at 144hrs, developments taking place.

ecm500.144.png

Nothing progged at this time range can be deemed as certain, but encouraging that theme is continuing and is also a little closer. I haven't looked at the GFS runs to be honest, but no doubt they a showing much the same scenario.

Nail biting times ahead. :o

EDIT:

ECMWF 144hrs 850's:

081228_1200_144.png

Nail already chewed down to stump...

Please God, make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Thats a nice looking chart and if things play out this way, oh boy we will be in the midst of some winter weather we haven't seen for quite some time:D

Was just looking at this chart and although its 5 days away-F1:( this ECM at 850hPa looks really good. The LP that we can't see on this image just over Scadi would be great if it could some how make its way east due the the HP over Europe. That would hopefully bring a good case of snow fall:).Guess we shall just have to wait and see how this cold spell will play out. But I have to say, things are looking up compared to last winter when all we kept getting was a mild SW airflow. And then when we eventually got a easterly airflow in Febuary, we were on our way into spring so the cold air wasn't as severe. Plus the fact the HP didn't last very long:mad:

081228_1200_132.png

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/HP/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Ok guys, don't get too excited - it looks like Joe Bastardi over at Accuweather.com is really predicting a cold and I mean cold blast for Europe - he is calling this the "nastiest in recent memory" for Europe as a whole....

SUNDAY DEC 28 8 AM

YOU WANT IT, YOUR GOING TO GET IT.

The cold that has been a mainstay of the southern european pattern the past couple of weeks is not the cold I am talking about that IS COMING The major block over Scandinavia will back west the next couple of weeks and true arctic air masses will spread south into central Europe then back west with time. The 2-3 week period that comes in the wake of the warmth that is occuring now because of the block over the north, will more than justify the idea that one heck of cold period is coming up in January. In the end my mistake will be that apparently I did not make clear the idea that this was a forecast from a couple of weeks out to let you know, as apparently it was , in many minds, supposed to start instantly from the date of post over a week ago. But I will watch the continents weather and see how it turns out. In the end we got off to the fast start centered on November and early December, and we will find that that when we total things up, give or take a week, the first half of winter had the wildest weather not the second half, which should grow tranquil with the hope of an early spring for most of the continent. However what is coming in front of us for the continent as a whole, should be the nastiest in recent memory - Joe Bastardi

That is true Danno; I did think to myself that Joe was talking about the mainland of Europe rather than Britain & Ireland. However he does mention Europe as a "whole"

Also, just seen the RTE weather after the 9 O'Clock news - the forecaster predicted that it will get even colder by the end of this week....so maybe the models coming out will actually kick in after all ?

Snowfan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Needless to say that from tomorrow's data onwards we should be getting a clearer picture of the scenario as the data input will be restored to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

gfsx_500p_9panel_eur.gif

Sorry about last post. These are the models that are very interesting for snow in a week or so, I know it's a way off but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The link is http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/9panel/gfsx_500p_9panel.html

I'm not sure how relevant this is - the charts seem to be USA..:confused:

shamwari wrote: »
    The link is http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/9panel/gfsx_500p_9panel.html

I'm not sure how relevant this is - the charts seem to be USA..:confused:
    Sorry about that I put in wrong link. I've posted the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yup, Tomorrows 12z and 18z will begin to process the extra data that has been absent for the holiday period.

The signs from tonight is for a weather front on Saturday over Ireland to be clashing with the cold air... the cold air wins, but whether or not it could fall as snow is unknown at this time to be sure. More runs this week will reveal more.

Another focus should be on Tomorrow night and Early Tuesday in the west. Low dewpoints and some light frontal precip in off the Atlantic up against a stiff ESE wind could provide some inland areas west of the Shannon with a dusting - probably will be just sleety rain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:( The max/min temp charts on wetterzentral make grim viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just had a look at the 00z GFS. This is not a great run but there is still a snow event forecast for Sunday night. Ah - why are these events always 7 days away?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I have deleted several posts due to been off topic. This is the third time this has been mentioned now in this thread. Keep on topic and discuss what the models are showing. This is not a forecast thread as there is still nothing set in stone and everything still outside reliable timeframe.

• Advertisement

gfsx_500p_9panel_eur.gif
    These are the latest models.

Snowbie wrote: »
    I have deleted several posts due to been off topic. This is the third time this has been mentioned now in this thread. Keep on topic and discuss what the models are showing. This is not a forecast thread as there is still nothing set in stone and everything still outside reliable timeframe.

Thats a fair point Snowbie - I am guilty of going off topic...sorry :cool:
    Anyway, will try to keep on topic going forward..I don't have as much expertise as you guys but once again thanks for sharing your knowledge and up to date models....very interesting and I think I am hooked on this board now ! :)

Snowfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

mike65 wrote: »
    :( The max/min temp charts on wetterzentral make grim viewing.

None of this in a reliable time frame, if any thing its going to be always 7 days out or 10 days out. We need a huge upgrade to bring this forward. I,d want to see over the next 6 runs a huge upgrade regarding what happens this friday, If everything shifts west by a couple of hundred miles, we,re in the money.

At the moment we are under a south east airflow more a less, 850,s around zero. You just have to look out your window to see the cold and frost. We are in a cold period now up to the next 3 days, thats as far as im calling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A fine set of GFS Ensembles

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All eyes on that channel low modelled on for next Monday night, slight changes in position of that will make massive changes to our weather here, one to watch in upcoming runs I think.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ye are all being fierce quiet lads! :pac: How are the model looking today thus far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Ye are all being fierce quiet lads! :pac: How are the model looking today thus far?

HA

Not good:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well the 12z is bad, looks like the atlantic will take over:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Not good sums it. So the models are back on track as from today and the people on their christmas holiday controlling the GFS is over? Well then oh dear.

According to the GFS 12Z, not even cold let alone very cold air comes over us or UK. The stubborn HP cell is stuck over us with no retro to Iceland or GL and the Atlantic undercuts this and breaks through into the 1st week of January.

Awaiting the ECM to roll out, but if this too keeps the GFS theme well it will not look good that it's just at reliable timeframe.

• Advertisement

ecmwf_500p_4panel_eur.gif

Here are the latest models.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement