Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi coming to Cavan

Options
  • 04-12-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I read in the Celt Aldi are coming to Cavan where the old Homemakers was.....
    yee haaa:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'd say with the recession, Elliots are wishing they had never made that move out to the Kilmore.

Cavan must be one of the first towns to have an Aldi as well as Lidl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Lots more competitive fun. It's a pity they're not in the town centre. Still, they're nearer than Lidl. I've heard that Aldi and Lidl HATE each other**. There's no German love lost between them at all.

** at the corporate level. Kind of like Ryanair and Aer Lingus or Coca Cola and Pepsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'd say with the recession, Elliots are wishing they had never made that move out to the Kilmore.

I hear Homemakers is doing very well out in the new schpot?! I was in it last week during lunch hour and the car park was packed!!?!

Letterkenny has an Aldi and Lidl for the past 7 years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Nope Ashbourne has an aldi and a lidl this three years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frangleberry

Drogheda has already got both Aldi and Lidl for the last 2/3 years.Its now getting a second Aldi I thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Farls wrote: »
    I hear Homemakers is doing very well out in the new schpot?! I was in it last week during lunch hour and the car park was packed!!?!

Letterkenny has an Aldi and Lidl for the past 7 years :eek:

Huh? you must be kidding-yeah, the car park may have been full,,,full with cars belonging to commuters gone off to work elsewhere....you should actually go inside the store and you will see how busy it is (or not) and dont worry you wont be knocked down in the rush or have to stand in a queue.
    Dont get me wrong, I think it is a credit to them, but as far as I can see there is no business going on there, and I agree that they are probably regretting the move..

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    Lots more competitive fun. It's a pity they're not in the town centre. Still, they're nearer than Lidl. I've heard that Aldi and Lidl HATE each other**. There's no German love lost between them at all.

** at the corporate level. Kind of like Ryanair and Aer Lingus or Coca Cola and Pepsi.

You are correct- there are a lot of towns in Germany where Lidl and Aldi actually have shops next door to each other, and if a Lidl opens up in a German town then an Aldi will open as soon and as close as possible and vice versa,,,
    is'nt competition wonderful? FOR US:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Almost every suburb in Dublin has both!
    muincav wrote: »
    Huh? you must be kidding-yeah, the car park may have been full,,,full with cars belonging to commuters gone off to work elsewhere....you should actually go inside the store and you will see how busy it is (or not) and dont worry you wont be knocked down in the rush or have to stand in a queue.
    Dont get me wrong, I think it is a credit to them, but as far as I can see there is no business going on there, and I agree that they are probably regretting the move..

I think its a great shop. The kitchen place is a bit of a joke. Got a quote in June and then again in November for there supposed best sale price ever, not to be beat or ever repeated etc etc.... Nov price was 1500 more than the one in June!!!

Apart from that the service is very good. I can see the point about the commuters, nice car park :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭celt262

newtlover wrote: »
    cavan people are too mean to shop in aldi

Now that makes no sence .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

celt262 wrote: »

It has been dealt with so don't let it interrupt the discussion, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

newtlover wrote: »
    cavan people are too mean to shop in aldi

"____________________________________________"

I am temporarily rendered speechless by the stunning originality of this joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

celt262 wrote: »

Bad spelling made baby jesus cry!!!

Farls wrote: »
    Bad spelling made baby jesus cry!!!

Sorry i didn't know the spelling police were on duty today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Did someone mention an Aldi coming to Cavan?

Did someone mention an Aldi coming to Cavan?

You are just recovering from Christmas and New year are'nt you???..lol...:P

Work just starting on this now.

gblh21 wrote: »
    I don't think work has started on the new Aldi (it's near supervalue, right???)

Don't think they'll be open til next year.:pac:

It's where the old Homemakers was. The old building there have been demolished and last time i went past they were digging foundations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Its a wonder none of them went to Bailieborough to compete with the new Tesco's over there

Hi all,
    just noticed on the "ALDI" website that their Cavan store is due to open on the 15th of October and the kells store on 24th of September...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

brilliant.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

Anyone know has the jobs been filled yet?? Have been looking out for advertisements regarding recruiting for it, but nothing in the Celt or anything?????:confused:

nia121 wrote: »
    Anyone know has the jobs been filled yet?? Have been looking out for advertisements regarding recruiting for it, but nothing in the Celt or anything?????:confused:

Havent seen anything in the papers myself. Id advise you to look at their website www.aldi.ie and see if you have any luck applying that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    I've heard that Aldi and Lidl HATE each other**.

not sure if its true but i remember someone telling me once that aldi and lidl are owned by 2 brothers, they started off as one company but they fell out and split, one is aldi and the other brother...lidl..., dunno if theres any truth to it, just remember hearing that somewhere a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I think they are two brothers

manutd wrote: »
    I think they are two brothers

It's a common misconception, but Lidl and Aldi are actually unrelated. The two brothers you mention were responsible for setting up the Aldi chain.
    I think you are thinking of the 2 brother who set up ADIDAS and PUMA.
    Google is a wonderful tool....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

nia121 wrote: »

I know there have been job interviews already but if you're interested apply via their website or just bring your CV to the store. I've heard they offer part -time jobs though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

TBH there not gonna employ many people.. no shelf stackers required, thats why stuff is so cheap, thats why they are successful, corect me if wong, but i doubt there would be more than ten people employed by them!

Advertisement