Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for sone good turtles.

Options
  • 04-12-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

1st time poster
    Alright Im looking to get some good turtles. Anyone know any place good? And are there private breeders in Ireland? Right so I want a new turtle but all the petshops have the same ones. If I want a different type of turtle do I order in or what? Like the name of the places petshops get their turtles from or sometin.
    Any help
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holyshow

Try Wackers in Parnell st. Ask for Gav, and about Musk turtles. They stay relatively small in comparison to any of the sliders. As far as i know they don't sell any of the larger species anymore as they are in most cases impossible to care for in the long run.

As far as i know there are no private breeders in Ireland and all of them are imported from wholesalers in the UK or mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Reptile Haven is your best bet for turtles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holyshow

Demonique wrote: »
    Reptile Haven is your best bet for turtles

not really. as much as ben is a legend in all things reptiles, he doesn't seem to be as in to turtles as much as some other people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

I really like Wackers selection of animals and everything, they always tend to have interesting stuff in, but really, in my experience they have no idea how to look after them. I would recommend Reptile Haven.

I had a friend go in there and purchase a hermit crab. She asked what would be needed for care and if a solitary hermit crab was fine. They told her to feed it fruit, that it needed gravel as a substrate and a water bowl.

Maybe this was just a once off, but I'd always be wary of them a little.

But after saying all that, I still do love going in there to see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi Flap,

Just a few questions first.
    Are you new to keeping turts or are you experienced?
    I ask this as they get extremely expensive to keep as they get bigger.
    You need larger tanks as the rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water per inch of turt.
    YBS turts gow between 8 and 13 inches. The females grow larger and unfortunately they can't be sexed untill there about 1-2 years old.
    Also you need good filtration, heating UV and basking lights.
    Maps are not beginner turtles. I'm looking into getting one at the moment as I kept a YBS for 5 years (grew to about 7 inches!) and I'm still unsure as to whether i'm experienced enough!!
    The main thing though is equipment!!
    The best thing to do though if you are dead set on a particular breed is to phone about the pet shops and ask as to whether they can order in the specific turtle for you.

Theres a pet shop in Cork who was willing to do that for me so it is possible.

Good luck

Jen

• Advertisement
Advertisement