Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible BA Quantas merger.

Options
  • 04-12-2008 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Is this a good thing? It looks like the way things could be going, eventually just having a hand full of large carriers on major trans continental routes. O' Leary himself predicted that just four Airlines would eventually operate in Europe: Ryanair, BA, Lufthansa, Air France/KLM. BA was in talk with Iberia just last August.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7760851.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Everybody's trying to jump into the pockets of their friends. Lufthansa got swiss last year, and are taking the controlling stake in austrian.

Personally i dont think BA and Qantas will get together, i mean lufthansa is taking smaller feeder airlines that make it easier to get on longhaul flights with them, Qantas and BA are two premium airlines that will trip over each other.

Europe is safe, i think there will only be the one airline left in america at the end of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

BA and Qantas have been working together for the last 10 years. Other airlines would use a different term! BA used to fly to all cities in Auz but now Sydney only. The agreement was quite simple! The less seats there are for sale, the more we can charge for them.

The BBC report will more than lightly say the only thing stopping the merger is the Australian government. We in BA were told this a week ago. We were also told if things stay as they are BA will be gone in 12 months. Two 747-400's have been decommissioned. The buying of B777-300's is still on. The aircraft are full at the moment but quite a lot of seats sold at (Too many for BA's liking) economy seat rates. All BA need to do is half fill business class on a 747-400 at business rates, and it is in profit. Fill the 20 seats on the upper deck to JFK and it's £60,000 please. BA are still making profit as other airlines but it is way, way down on last years figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Isn't Quantas fleet quite old now? I flew out with them on 747 400's with them in the mid 90's and believe most of them are still about, are they still using that old 707 :D

They also had an agreement with Air NZ. sharing the cross channel to Aukland route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I have had an internal email and a share holders letter confirming that this merger is on going.

We have suggested a name for the new airline. We think it should be called British and Qantas Airways or B&Q for short :D

Edit! Better not forget American Airlines and the Spanish.....................

British American Spanish Trans Australian Region Downunder Services......

Advertisement