Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do moderators have to post in forums they moderate in?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

This isn't a criticism or any mod, forum or anything, just a genuine question. I was browsing through some of the forums and one forum stood out because there seemed to be a substantial lack of moderators posting on the forum at all.

I browsed through the topics covering the first few pages and turns out that there has been a combined total of 2 posts from the 4 moderators of the DCU forum since the end of September. In a very quiet forum this may be understandable, but I'm not sure this is the case with this particular forum, as its definitely one of the buser college forums on the site.

Like I said, this isn't a post attacking the DCU mods by any means, it was just that forum that stood out for me, and for all I know, there may be other forums like it. But is it generally expected of a mod to be a regular poster in the forum they moderate? Is there more to being a mod then just banning people that need to be banned? Or is it technically possible for a forum to have zero moderators post in the forum at all?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just because a mod doesn't post doesn't mean they aren't watching and reading.

Complaints are often made about mods who are too 'into' the forums they moderate and that it clouds their judgement. Proof of that can be found in a heap of feedback threads.

It's a catch 22 really. If mods are too active they are accused of being clouded. If they don't post then people question them being a mod for that reason.

Personally speaking though I wouldn't mod a forum I had no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not sure Ive ever seen one of the anime mods ever post in there. truth be told that forum runs itself reasonably well bar the odd need to report an ad-bot or something. That or Art_Wolf is a mother****ing ninja.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Mods are required to clean up a mess and keep the forum neat and tidy.
    They are not required to post in the forum the moderate.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Overheal wrote: »
    Im not sure Ive ever seen one of the anime mods ever post in there. truth be told that forum runs itself reasonably well bar the odd need to report an ad-bot or something. That or Art_Wolf is a mother****ing ninja.
    Art_Wolf is a ninja, he doesn't post much anywhere on forums, but he reads a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Depends on the mod and it depends on the forum I reckon. Some mods prefer to take a backseat and watch quietly until something needs to be dealt with, others prefer to be a constant presence in the forum. I do both, depending on the forum. I'm a regular poster in the nocturnal forum because it suits the forum and the way it is modded. In the other forums I mod I'm not a regular poster and just read threads unless something needs dealing with since it suits those forums better for me to do so imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Nope we aren't required to post in the forums we mod.

I mod the Waterford forum but never post unless necessary. I read it all the time though.

As Xavi said, there are complaints when a mod is too active in their forum and questions when they aren't so active in there. Sometimes it's better to have impartial mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I presume we Mods who dont post in their forums or meet their ban quota do not get the Christmas Bonus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CuLT wrote: »
    Art_Wolf is a mother****ing ninja, he doesn't post much anywhere on forums, but he reads a lot.
    fyp

Advertisement