Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330d

Options
  • 04-12-2008 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have any opinions on the car ? Anything I should know about.

What sort of mileage are people here getting. Parkers are giving it in and around the 35 to 40 mpg mark.

How likely am I as a 26 year with 5 years no claims to be able to even get insurance on this car ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

What sort of mileage are people here getting. Parkers are giving it in and around the 35 to 40 mpg mark.

How likely am I as a 26 year with 5 years no claims to be able to even get insurance on this car ?

I've a 330 Clubsport, its a magnificent car, buy one. The diesel is also absolutely superb.

I'm getting about 24mpg, but its so worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

A lot of reviews dubbed the 330d the best 3-series to drive. Funny thing is that it doesn't get better mpg than the 530d. People around here with the 530d say that the manual gets better mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Beautiful engine, maybe one of the best and smoothest diesels ever made. Prone to a bit of injector failure tho.
    I've a 535d with twin turbo's and get approx 30mpg on a decent run. You could possibly get 33mpg.
    Insurance wise, well premiums are up in the insuracne industry, so it'll depend on your driving record,no claims bonus's and you'll have to shop round loads. Worth it tho - one thing to remember is the tax is NASTY on these motors.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

35-40mpg? That's about what I get around town in mine. On a longer run I'd get over ~50 mpg and possibly a bit over that if I drove like a granny.

I've a 02 Touring (manual), remapped to about 220bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Have one and have worked on other 330d's as well, great car to drive and great performance, they do give injector trouble, very hard on manual gearboxes(the torque eats them), the early autoboxes gave trouble and the inlet manifold swirl flaps can seize and break up which turns your engine into scrap metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,247 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Here is a nice one:

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=7872

You would buy it for around €8.7k but the VRT is around €5,600 extra. VRO calculate the OMSP at over €17k. :eek:

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Calculation. CO2 emissions input by Revenue. DATE: 04 December 2008 TIME: 09:26 STATISTICAL CODE: 41685301 MAKE: BMW MODEL: 330 VERSION: D E46 SPORT 04DR A / SALOON / AUTOMATIC / DIESEL / CO2 EMISSIONS: 206</STRONG>
    MILEAGE: 84000 MILES DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: SEPTEMBER 2003 OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €17427 RATE OF TAX: 32% VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date)
    €5576

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

lovely, lovely car, if you dont mind the 1300 road tax a year, then go for it, you should get the high 30s mpg on average.

I would look in ireland first, because a lot of people wont buy them because of the above mentioned tax, so if theres one here you could knock them down a lot, compared to the UK were the 330d is the main car and the 320d is the "poor mans" car. (in the UK i stress, different here)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

Is it €1300? So a 330d has higher emissions than a 2.8 petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,247 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It has a larger capacity for that rate. If I was able to have my car taxed on emissions, I'd be in the €600 bracket.

• Advertisement

Im assuming the op is buying a pre-jan-08 330d, which is cc base 2.9L 1231euro a year.

and 08 330d manual c02 is 152 , so road tax of only 290euro, that's unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Im assuming the op is buying a pre-jan-08 330d, which is cc base 2.9L 1231euro a year.

and 08 330d manual c02 is 152 , so road tax of only 290euro, that's unreal!

If you're thick enough to spend the extra €10,000 and lose it within the year on depreciation, to save a meagre 941 euros in road tax. :rolleyes:

They are a very good car and fast also. I would go for a coupe rather than the saloon but thats a matter of choice.

Insurance should not be a problem I got reasonable quote from quinn before on one and im 23 with 3 years no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Hammertime wrote: »
    I'm getting about 24mpg, but its so worth every penny

24mpg?

That is m3 territory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

House wrote: »
    If you're thick enough to spend the extra €10,000 and lose it within the year on depreciation, to save a meagre 941 euros in road tax. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

330d's here are rare and cheap here, could be married to it for a while though as nobody will want a 3.0l mid size car, great yokes to go though, but if remapped it will burn the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

modm3 wrote: »
    Exactly.

330d's here are rare and cheap here, could be married to it for a while though as nobody will want a 3.0l mid size car, great yokes to go though, but if remapped it will burn the fuel.

Remapping makes them MUCH easier on fuel and to the person getting 28mpg your afm is probably shagged standard they do between 40-45mpg and remapped mine will not drop below 50mpg no matter how hard you push it and have seen 58mpg on cruise control at 120kph

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Could not agree more with this. A mate of mine had a look at my 530d e39 last year but could not get his head aroud spending €1200 at the time on tax.

Could have bought a similar E39 for 18grand at the time and he preferred the older shape insted he opted for 520d 2 ys old and paid 41 grand on it. "But I save 600 odd a year in tax" Oh Dear!

In relation to the 330D my 530d Manual averages around 42-43 Mpg 120KPH mostly motorway. Granny driving probably close to 50mpg. Driving hard never goes below 40mpg

Remapping makes them MUCH easier on fuel and to the person getting 28mpg your afm is probably shagged standard they do between 40-45mpg and remapped mine will not drop below 50mpg no matter how hard you push it and have seen 58mpg on cruise control at 120kph

I thought Re Mapping was a boy racer thing for more power!

Is it possible to map my 530d and imprve mpg from 42mpg odd.

More power but better fuel comsumption. have I this Right?

couldn't agree more, i was thinking that an 08 330d will be great valve in 5 or 6 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

trabpc wrote: »
    I thought Re Mapping was a boy racer thing for more power!

Is it possible to map my 530d and imprve mpg from 42mpg odd.

More power but better fuel comsumption. have I this Right?

Yes.

By remapping you increase the power, which means the engine is under less stress to do the same speed as before the remap, which results in better mpg.

Similar to when Top Gear put the Toyota Prius around the track, and had an m3 following it. the m3 had better mpg because the engine wasnt under nearly as much pressure to go the same speed as the Prius

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

a meagre, €941 every year that you own it you mean!

an 07 would be nigh on impossible to shift in a few years when an 08 is €1k a year cheaper to tax for probably only 2 or 3k more to buy..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why buy a 330d :confused:unless you do mega mileage

get a 330i/ci instead, faster as standard, fuel consumption is fine on longer trips, nicer more flexible power plant and no injector/turbo failure

copacetic wrote: »

an 07 would be nigh on impossible to shift in a few years when an 08 is €1k a year cheaper to tax for probably only 2 or 3k more to buy..

I disagree with the 2 to 3k more to buy. Wait till next year I guarantee. Take for example a 320d on a 08 plate will fetch a much higher premium than an 07.

say in 2009 an 08 320d costs €38k taxed at €150 p/year

or buy an 07 for around €25k taxed at €590 p/year

I saw one or two 2007 320d at €28k already

Difference in the 2 tax 590-150 is €440 over 5 ys ownership thats only €2200 difference.

I know which one id buy(07)

I take your point that currently there probably is not much difference in price between 07-08 but that will change in new year when most people change and reliase the difference in prices. 08's will be in big demand- No one will want an 06-07 so that why thieir Value will be hammered, and therefore there will be bargains to be got. The bigger the engine the cheaper the pre 08's will be

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

copacetic wrote: »

An 07 would need to be about 13,000 cheaper than a used 08 before I would consider one. That tax builds up over the life of the car.

mickdw wrote: »
    An 07 would need to be about 13,000 cheaper than a used 08 before I would consider one. That tax builds up over the life of the car.

what?

the tax difference is 440 per annum, itll take you 29 years to make that up to 13k :confused:

trabpc wrote: »
    I disagree with the 2 to 3k more to buy. Wait till next year I guarantee. Take for example a 320d on a 08 plate will fetch a much higher premium than an 07.

say in 2009 an 08 320d costs €38k taxed at €150 p/year

or buy an 07 for around €25k taxed at €590 p/year

I saw one or two 2007 320d at €28k already

Difference in the 2 tax 590-150 is €440 over 5 ys ownership thats only €2200 difference.

I know which one id buy(07)

I take your point that currently there probably is not much difference in price between 07-08 but that will change in new year when most people change and reliase the difference in prices. 08's will be in big demand- No one will want an 06-07 so that why thieir Value will be hammered, and therefore there will be bargains to be got. The bigger the engine the cheaper the pre 08's will be

you could easily import an 08 320d for about 30k at the moment, next year you will be able to bring one in for 27k or cheaper easily. it is the import pricing that is driving the market here and there isn't the tax differential in the uk.

Cyrus wrote: »
    what?

the tax difference is 440 per annum, itll take you 29 years to make that up to 13k :confused:

he was quoting my post on the tax diff on a 330d which is a lot more than 440.

still talking about 14 years to make up the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cyrus wrote: »
    still talking about 14 years to make up the difference

Exactly, 14 years The approximate useful life of the car. or 10 years plus 3000 for it being a year older than the 08 so worth less also in that regard. Its not just the couple of years you own it for that you need to allow for as next owner will also be paying less for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

ill sell ya a 320d

Advertisement