Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Riser Ribbon

Options
  • 04-12-2008 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I've got 1 free PCI slot left in my system, and I need to use it for my DVB-S card.
    The problem is that if I fit it in that slot, the pcb is literally 1mm from the dual slot cooler on my graphics card and it blocks the air intake.
    The best spot for it it 3 slots down in the case from where the offending PCI slot is.

I've see PCI riser ribbons around, but the longest I've seen is about 5 inches.
    I'll need one longer than that, as it has to go over another card and past a PCIE x1 slot after that.
    So I've a few questions:

1. What kind of lengths are PCI Riser Ribbons available in generally?

2. Would a long cable cause any problems with the working of the card attached to it? (Voltage drop, timing problems etc.)

3. Are riser cables merely extension cables? Or do they have components/circuits requiring a driver to be installed?

Thanks.

Advertisement