Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

airport round bout Speed Checks

Options
  • 04-12-2008 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Careful folks, one way there is a gatso van, the other side the boys are shooting fish in a barrel with camera and stopping cars. This imo is a pure fiscal excercise as I dont think there ever has been a serious accident on this stretch of road.

Keep her handy folks, 2 jammy points and bollockin of how dangerous your doing 70 in a 60k zone is not worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Must be looking like they are going to come short of the yearly quota.
    Or else it could be part of operation go slow in Dublin for December. Stop anyone who looking like they might be making progress!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Saw the Gatso at the end of the slip road from the M50 to the M1 yesterday. It was happy snapping the traffic on the slip road. The 2 cars in front of me were defo nabbed, not sure whether I slowed in time.

Anyone know what distance it snaps you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

pretty close, if you look at the angle of the camera in the van like a clock its pointing toward 10 o clock, if that makes any sense to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

They are always there! Pretty cautious there. The GFs da (Slowest driver in the world) picked up his only 2 points there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Have heard that promised targets to the government have not been met...yet ! - But they're working on it :pac:

Everybody should now be aware that around the M50/M1 & airport interchanges it is a big hotspot for easy prey. I use it only once a month and am well aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Bearcat wrote: »
    the other side the boys are shooting fish in a barrel with camera and stopping cars.

Lazy gits, should be catching people speeding and not playing funfair games....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Lazy gits, should be catching people speeding and not playing funfair games....

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE FISH!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I caught myself doing a little over the 60km/h limit last week as I passed one of the vans on the *eastbound* section linking the airport r'bout with the M1.

I'm still not sure if I was snapped.

I've noticed subsequently, that it's very easy to pick up a little speed after the bend, because the road dips at this point. Because the carriage way is of good quality and you don't feel like you are speeding, you really need to be watching the speedo (when you should be watching the road!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Used to work in the airport - they are there quite a lot, you can normally tell if they are there by the speed the taxi's are going round that bend - they seem to keep each other well informed.

theres a good reason for them being there alright - sure that place is deadly dangerous :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Used to work in the airport - they are there quite a lot, you can normally tell if they are there by the speed the taxi's are going round that bend - they seem to keep each other well informed.

There's obviously some target to make up for the end of the year. The only two times I've seen a GATSO van parked up on the eastbound direction is within the last two weeks. I've seen tripods on the median once or twice in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE FISH!

Oh this persistent Gatso bashing is getting a bit tedious, I thinking of the poor Guard cramped up inside the thing, won't somebody take pity on him in this season of good will and offer him a cup of tea. I have visions of Mrs Doyle pottering up to the van with a cup of tea....Would ye like to take a cup of tea there Guard ? y'will y'will ywill, Ah go on, go on go on, GO ONN !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That Gatso van is there regularly.
    Omcd wrote: »
    thinking of the poor Guard cramped up inside the thing
    They park it there and pick it up later. There's no one in it.

There is your answer, steal it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

That Gatso van is there regularly.

Take my post above with a hint of sarcasim.

But are you sure there's no one in it, I took it from other posts on this forum that there is some one in it, aiming the camera and pressing the button at the appropriate time. Isn't that why they have aircon units on the top of them (a more visible giveaway than the black strip). Maybe different vans have different setups ?

Omcd wrote: »
    Isn't that why they have aircon units on the top of them (a more visible giveaway than the black strip). Maybe different vans have different setups ?

That's just to keep the fish guns (computers etc) cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Relax lads, the country's broke. They have to get money off us somehow and this is far too easy an opportunity to pass up on.

How many cars would the Gatso clock a day, 500? 1000? 2000? Pick a number, multiply it by €80 and all of a sudden it paints a pretty clear picture.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Think of all the lives its saved today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

a colleague of mine got caught 3 times in the space of 40 minutes on the ballymun road. ( works on m50 works) just got notification today from 26th of september..... you could be disqualified before you even know you have the foirst points.

how is it a detterent if you dont know when you get the points!!! 2 months is too long to wait!!! the system needs changing!!!! i dont approve of speeding but you should know within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's great that they are there. Any regular users of these sections of the M1 heading to and from the airport roundabout will know how dangerous they are with unusual movements of merging from the right.

There is approximately 180 meters to get from the outside lane coming off junction 2 of the M1 trying to get to the R132 heading to Santry. When traffic is going at 60km this distance is travelled in approx 10 seconds. Thats 10 seconds from the first point you can maneuver from the right lane across the middle lane and into the last point you can get into the left lane. In theory you'll have around 7 or 8 seconds to move safely. It's an extremely busy stretch of road where people tend to leave their brains at home. You've people trying to merge, people looking for airport parking signs, traffic rushing to collect and drop off people, taxi's rushing to get into the kesh, and all this with 30 second interval traffic lights ahead and the people speeding up to make the lights.

Personally speaking the limit from J2 to the airport roundabout should be 40km.

From the airport roundabout to J2 there is approx 400 meters so it is not as severe, yet during heavy traffic there can be still difficulty getting from the right lane to across the middle lane to the left lane heading north on the M1, especially with the ignorance of driving in this country.

Madness having merging from right to left and anything that can be done to make it safer gets a big thumbs up. Anyone breaking the 60km limit here need their heads examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's great that they are there. Any regular users of these sections of the M1 heading to and from the airport roundabout will know how dangerous they are with unusual movements of merging from the right.

There is approximately 180 meters to get from the outside lane coming off junction 2 of the M1 trying to get to the R132 heading to Santry. When traffic is going at 60km this distance is travelled in approx 10 seconds. Thats 10 seconds from the first point you can maneuver from the right lane across the middle lane and into the last point you can get into the left lane. In theory you'll have around 7 or 8 seconds to move safely. It's an extremely busy stretch of road where people tend to leave their brains at home. You've people trying to merge, people looking for airport parking signs, traffic rushing to collect and drop off people, taxi's rushing to get into the kesh, and all this with 30 second interval traffic lights ahead and the people speeding up to make the lights.

Personally speaking the limit from J2 to the airport roundabout should be 40km.

From the airport roundabout to J2 there is approx 400 meters so it is not as severe, yet during heavy traffic there can be still difficulty getting from the right lane to across the middle lane to the left lane heading north on the M1, especially with the ignorance of driving in this country.

Madness having merging from right to left and anything that can be done to make it safer gets a big thumbs up. Anyone breaking the 60km limit here need their heads examined.

ok. i see your point, it is a little dodgy alright, but no need for such draconian measures...40 km/h? there is a lot of room there to play with! 60 is fair IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ottostreet wrote: »
    ok. i see your point, it is a little dodgy alright, but no need for such draconian measures...40 km/h? there is a lot of room there to play with! 60 is fair IMO
    40km is probably over the top alright but might help people keep to 60km ;)

Advertisement