Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake discs and pads on eBay

Options
  • 04-12-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I will have to change both on my 2003 Corolla. Quote for discs from fastFit is €110 for each (x4) while for front pads €70 for pair. If I had gone to an authorised dealer, no doubt it would be much more.
    I have been checking prices on eBay and prices are much lower. However, i do not know much about matter so instead of making mistakes thought of seeking your help here.
    I do not know what on earth has caused discs to wear so much. I bring my car for balancing 2 a year and always ask them to check the pads. The last pair was fitter by fast fit a few years ago and they still claim that they are good and no need to replace. How have they wasted the discs than. Surely, my understanding is that once the brake pads go, the discs suffer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

What milage is on you car? Disc's will wear down, even if you replace your pads in plenty of time. Just becarefull when buying them online, some cars can have several diferent pads and discs on them, although looking at a pad & disc book there seems to be the one type for yours. You should be able to get the pads for around €45.00 inc vat. Price does look ok for the discs. you would also have to factor in the labour, minium charge 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

What milage is on you car? Disc's will wear down, even if you replace your pads in plenty of time. Just becarefull when buying them online, some cars can have several diferent pads and discs on them, although looking at a pad & disc book there seems to be the one type for yours. You should be able to get the pads for around €45.00 inc vat. Price does look ok for the discs. you would also have to factor in the labour, minium charge 1 hour.

Milage is 50K.

FastFit gave me the code: BDC5379 for discks and BP1347 for pads

At 50k there should be no reason why the disc need to be changed, maybe something is rubbing into the disc and scoreing it, further investigation is needed as there maybe nothing wrong witht he discs!! Natural wear would be nearer the 100k+ mark. The part numbers quoted are made by Delphi, I know who supplies them is there are cheaper equall quality out there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would get a second opinion on the state of the disks. Personally I would not choose to get something like this done at any of the Fast Fit type multiples!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How could discs for a Corolla be Eur 110, when discs for my Porsche 968 are Eur 65? Sounds mad.

Fwiw, I'm about to change my discs on the 968 - but they have gone to 145k miles in fairness........no way your discs are fubar'd already, at 50k.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    How could discs for a Corolla be Eur 110, when discs for my Porsche 968 are Eur 65? Sounds mad.

It is mad, but it down to the manufacture companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Don't immediately discount the main dealer/genuine parts either, you'll often find that they're quite reasonably priced, especially for high volume items (which I'd imagine would include Corolla brake parts :D).

Strange.
    I can see that the disk are worn but as I said, I would be no expert to judge when they need replacement. I would consider myself a little hard on the brakes (trying to improve) but I do not know what could (if so) cause the discks to wear. Could the fitting of pads be wrong (highly unlikely) to cause this.
    Thanks for teh info anywy. Will check with Toyota. Just about 3 months before I was told that discs need replacement, the car was serviced and nobody mentioned this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Rovi wrote: »
    Don't immediately discount the main dealer/genuine parts either, you'll often find that they're quite reasonably priced, especially for high volume items (which I'd imagine would include Corolla brake parts :D).

Got a price for a pair of genuine front discs for my seat leon....374 euro's for the pair :eek:
    I priced the same discs from a garage up north and they are 110 euro's for the pair delivered to Dublin :)

Pads are half the cost too, 95 vs 45 from the north.

Neilw wrote: »
    Got a price for a pair of genuine front discs for my seat leon....374 euro's for the pair :eek:
    I priced the same discs from a garage up north and they are 110 euro's for the pair delivered to Dublin :)

Holly crxx.
    Hard to believe

• Advertisement

regedit wrote: »
    Holly crxx.
    Hard to believe

I couldn't believe it myself, I ordered from the garage up north...I can post up a copy of the invoice when I get the parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

go to england, most big suppliers are a decent savings, next day dielivery and if you get some mates to order parts also you can get bulk discounts and such...

thought ebay should be cheap by 10-20 euro and you'll be waiting 2-3 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny that prices in the north i was pricing suspension bumpers and they were a bout half the price in the north weirdly nissan wiper linkages were cheaper in the south its like they make the prices up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ericdaking

got my 2002 scenic new discs and pads all round delivered from england for 180 euro and then fitted by a bmw mechanic for 100 euro 280 for all. renault quoted me 850 .let us know if you need his email great communication with the guy and parts spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you check GSF ? I bought a set of front discs and pads for my Xantia in there for €78 .

This was also the first time I've changed either and it was a doddle. So all in, the job cost me €78 and 2 hours of my time (first side I was going in blind but the 2nd sid eonly took 30 mins when I knew what I was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I recently had reason to visit a Toyota main dealer service reception and a lady collecting her car was told that she would need new pads in 7 to 8 thousand miles, but they was too much life left to justify replacing them just yet.

I think she was quoted €80 fitted, can't be sure though.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I recently had reason to visit a Toyota main dealer service reception and a lady collecting her car was told that she would need new pads in 7 to 8 thousand miles, but they was too much life left to justify replacing them just yet.

I think she was quoted €80 fitted, can't be sure though.

In fairness, that is not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

110 Euro for supplying & fitting one brake disc is an absolute rip off by any standard, unless it's on a Boeing 747 or something. Shop around OP, 440 Euro for 4 brake discs is an outrageous price.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did you check GSF ? I bought a set of front discs and pads for my Xantia in there for €78 .

This was also the first time I've changed either and it was a doddle. So all in, the job cost me €78 and 2 hours of my time (first side I was going in blind but the 2nd sid eonly took 30 mins when I knew what I was doing.

I'd rather go for genuine discs for the few bob extra compared to gsf, got rear pads from gsf, 24 euro's for pagids from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd rather go for genuine discs for the few bob extra compared to gsf, got rear pads from gsf, 24 euro's for pagids from them.

Well the "genuine" ones that came on the car were in bits after 55k , corroded about 1/2 an inch into the dic all the way round the edge and waped to ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Darragh29 wrote: »
    110 Euro for supplying & fitting one brake disc is an absolute rip off by any standard, unless it's on a Boeing 747 or something. Shop around OP, 440 Euro for 4 brake discs is an outrageous price.

Well considering an OEM Toyota is Eur86+VAT, you're wrong about 110 per corner incl fitting being expensive.

Pattern ones are Eur49, locally.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Darragh29 wrote: »
    110 Euro for supplying & fitting one brake disc is an absolute rip off by any standard, unless it's on a Boeing 747 or something.
    Try pricing up a set of discs and pads for an RS6 :eek:

I laugh in the face of all the prices quoted above! :D

Advertisement