Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident In Lismore Park

• 04-12-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I was collecting my young lad from his friends house last night around 8pm when we came across a "group" of at least 100 kids ranging from 8 - 16 years old at the road across from the doctors surgery. They seemed to be involved in some sort of "disagreement" with a group of what appeared to be students having a party. There seemed to be a lot of jostling, bottle throwing and threats being made.

The guards were on the scene fairly quickly and were questioning a few of them.

The disturbing thing was the age of some of the kids - boys and girls - some of them even had their school uniforms on.

I'd hate to be living there as I have noticed that there is an "element" thats hangs out there.

Did anyone else come across this or hear anything

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Now I may be wrong but was yesterday not WIT christmas day ? Could have something to do with that. Wouldnt be an xmas day in WIT without some sort of incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

so its a usual christmas day then yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Surely we can't be saying that a specfic type of people are involved in fighting.... as this is not allowed, how do we know these people where stundents? did we see there ID cards?? speculation of who was involved should not be typecasting these people into specfic groups.
    There was an incident alright, but no confirmation has been made by any media source to the groups involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree robtri,

If I said it was the travler Fued I'm sure Sully would be none happy :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

robtri wrote: »
    Surely we can't be saying that a specfic type of people are involved in fighting.... as this is not allowed, how do we know these people where stundents? did we see there ID cards?? speculation of who was involved should not be typecasting these people into specfic groups.
    There was an incident alright, but no confirmation has been made by any media source to the groups involved.

Yes, I'm sure it's all just a massive coincidence that two new threads about incidents have started on this forum, about two areas where students are commonly found, on the night of the biggest student piss-up of the year :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure it's all just a massive coincidence that two new threads about incidents have started on this forum, about two areas where students are commonly found, on the night of the biggest student piss-up of the year :)

Exactly. Its a tad bit different then pointing blame to travellers everytime something happens in Waterford when there is nothing to suggest it was them. This is a little bit different when the town was flooded with students on the offical WIT Christmas Day which happens ever year and the incident just happens to be outside one of the pubs! Speculation is always going to be a given on this type of forum but we just have to be careful with how its approached on a case by case basis.

If people have a problem with a post please report it and let the mods deal with it. Otherwise, please keep to the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

WIT should ban that Christmas Day thing they have every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Wouldn't be easy to do. You'd then have to ban freshers week and rag week cause they're the same. The owners of Dignity, Fletchers, Harveys, Revolution, Masons and Rubys were certainly happy to have full venues last night too.

It's obviously more of a problem because the majority of the people group together in the penis shaped area of John Street/Manor Street.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'll never understand that the Dome is allowed fuel this day, its on WIT's property in fairnesss....the college could atleast close it early or something.

• Advertisement

Sully,

My Comment above was ment as a joke sorry if you took it out of context, Its pretty obvious given the day thats in it and the area that its those blasted students (Which I was up until Last year). I have No Problem with Blaming any minority group in general.

Back on topic, I have a feeling that WIT can't do anything about it cause all hell broke loose about 6 years ago when they Canceled Rag Week.

Christamss Day Hasn't been an offical College Session since the Girl got Glassed few years ago. I saw it happen actually,

ziedth wrote: »
    Sully,

My Comment above was ment as a joke sorry if you took it out of context, Its pretty obvious given the day thats in it and the area that its those blasted students (Which I was up until Last year). I have No Problem with Blaming any minority group in general.

Back on topic, I have a feeling that WIT can't do anything about it cause all hell broke loose about 6 years ago when they Canceled Rag Week.

Christamss Day Hasn't been an offical College Session since the Girl got Glassed few years ago. I saw it happen actually,

Exactly... Banning something will not make it go away. They'll just have it elsewhere.

Exactly... Banning something will not make it go away. They'll just have it elsewhere.

It can help reduce the crap that goes on though,

if this incident was as a result of students from WIT, it is another reason why a lot of the people from Lismore park have issues with them parking in their estate....
    WIT and their students really aren't helping themselves here.

Banning it would help the issue, as previously stated it will happen anyway, this issue is with the students themselves and not being able to be properably behaved in public... Students who are found to be part of this should be expelled from the WIT, as it really gives a bad name for the WIT to the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Ban it?

C'mon now, let's get real? Ban it, and the students will just celebrate it unofficially on some date, and then nobody will have anyone to complain about it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Harsher penalties by the college for offenders would probably work better than banning it. Ban it and it will happen anyway. With harsher penalties, perhaps people may think twice about their future.

Then again, with enough drink in them, they may not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The way people go on about the students you'd swear they were so foreign or strange alien invading evil bastards.There's trouble every bloody night of the week around Waterford and it isn't all students or travellers.It only gets reported when it is a certain group that people can scapegoat all the ills of the town on.If there were a few incidents with students last night its only to be expected as they're young and every one does the same olde ****e when they're that age, any one that doesn't or hasn't at some stage in their life deserves a big slap on the back for being so perfect.In fairness to the students as well, they deserve at least a few nights out of the year to blow off abit off steam, and if a few of em act like assholes , well so be it.In my experience the factory and staff nights out around the town at Christmas are far worse than any student nights out, but you don't hear people saying, ban those working fellas from going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Meatwad wrote: »
    they deserve at least a few nights out of the year to blow off abit off steam

LMAO. Students only get a few nights out every year. Pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I started this thread in relation to a specific incident i witnessed in Lismore Park

from what i saw it was local children who seemed to be the main instigators - some of these were in school uniforms, a fair proportion were girls, some of those involved were no older than 8 years old - safe to say not WIT students

they seemed to have issue with one house in particular - the occupants of the house were from what i could see students - they were not out on the street - in fact the only confrontation i witnessed was on the driveway of the house and it would appear that the occupants of the house were being provoked

It was the locals ( when i say locals i am not referring to Lismore Park locals as i would asssume that there are very few young kids in this area now, but kids from any of the neighbouring estates who hang out there)who were runnning riot on the street - they obviously heard the party in progress and did their best to provoke the occupants

it was like something you'd see on the telly - it looked to be well organised - basically they'd make a run at the house and scatter when they got a reaction

they were not out to get anyone else only the occupants as there was a lot of cars, pedestrians etc and they paid them no notice

if the students were involved in other anti social behaviour it is not relevant to this thread as from what i could see it was the students/house occupants who were the victims in this case

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I started this thread in relation to a specific incident i witnessed in Lismore Park

from what i saw it was local children who seemed to be the main instigators - some of these were in school uniforms, a fair proportion were girls, some of those involved were no older than 8 years old - safe to say not WIT students

Seemingly it was a massive coincidence as they trouble makers where not the students according to the eye witness, the OP.......
    and we where all blaming the students for this problem....
    It is a disgrace that kids as young as what the OP said where out and about causing organised trouble.....Where are the parents?? surely they knew what was going on if it was in the same estate as they where living???
    this reflects so badly on the state of society in certain estates, not just in waterford but around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

little scumbags. A good hurley across one of their heads and the rest will run. Cheeky monkeys

seanybiker wrote: »
    little scumbags. A good hurley across one of their heads and the rest will run. Cheeky monkeys

thats not very nice, you weren't saying that when it was thought to be the students.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thats not very nice, you weren't saying that when it was thought to be the students.....
    I never thought it was students

Seemingly it was a massive coincidence as they trouble makers where not the students according to the eye witness, the OP.......
    and we where all blaming the students for this problem....
    It is a disgrace that kids as young as what the OP said where out and about causing organised trouble.....Where are the parents?? surely they knew what was going on if it was in the same estate as they where living???
    this reflects so badly on the state of society in certain estates, not just in waterford but around the country.

I totally agree that it's a disgrace for these kids to be involved.

As for blaming the students... I suggested it was too much of a coincidence. We'll probably never know what sparked it all off, but it appears to be too well-organised and directed at one house only to be a random act of delinquency. Something must've happened to make so many turn up to behave like that. I'm not suggesting the students started it either... Maybe the were originally the victims and retaliated..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Meatwad wrote: »
    The way people go on about the students you'd swear they were so foreign or strange alien invading evil bastards.There's trouble every bloody night of the week around Waterford and it isn't all students or travellers.It only gets reported when it is a certain group that people can scapegoat all the ills of the town on.If there were a few incidents with students last night its only to be expected as they're young and every one does the same olde ****e when they're that age, any one that doesn't or hasn't at some stage in their life deserves a big slap on the back for being so perfect.In fairness to the students as well, they deserve at least a few nights out of the year to blow off abit off steam, and if a few of em act like assholes , well so be it.In my experience the factory and staff nights out around the town at Christmas are far worse than any student nights out, but you don't hear people saying, ban those working fellas from going out.

if you owned this house would you be so cool about the issue, students are terrorising people in certain areas of waterford , just because its not on your doorstep does not mean it is not an issue, have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2flzvj5ogw&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

seanybiker wrote: »

Could look good on our a HEADSTONE .

Times have changed , its more likely now a days for their mates to take the hurley off you , and beat you to death will it.

Remember than poor family man (up the country Carlow i think ) to when to somene aid with a hurley last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

daftdave wrote: »
    if you owned this house would you be so cool about the issue, students are terrorising people in certain areas of waterford , just because its not on your doorstep does not mean it is not an issue, have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2flzvj5ogw&feature=related

WHAT THE HELL!! Dave for the love of Jesus your well entitled to your view and I do share an amount of Empathy with you because a Lived in an apartment block surrounded by Polish Blocklayers that constantly had all nighters.

Now posting that clip, first of all because one guy is wearing a white hoody and there are two girls that may appear to be under the ages of 25 these are automatically classed as "students".

Things like that don't help anyone, why don't I just take a video clip from the amber garrage of some kids messing and say "Lisduggan Children Cause Trouble"

bab4,

I was a student up untill last year and even though I didn't cause as much fuss or trouble (and I don't condone it in any way) I went out twice a week and had a good time. I'm now a retail manager two of my best mates one is in resarch and one is an accountant. What do you do with your life?

ziedth wrote: »
    I was a student up untill last year and even though I didn't cause as much fuss or trouble (and I don't condone it in any way) I went out twice a week and had a good time. I'm now a retail manager two of my best mates one is in resarch and one is an accountant. What do you do with your life?

imho this is verging on a personal attack, what does anybody;s job now have to do with it?

You can be doing computers, business, sales, accounting etc and still get ****ed off your face at the weekend and abuse people and cause damage to property. what somebody does after college has nothing to do with what they did as a student.

Job title doesn't mean that somebody is a good honest person :)

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    imho this is verging on a personal attack, what does anybody;s job now have to do with it?

You can be doing computers, business, sales, accounting etc and still get ****ed off your face at the weekend and abuse people and cause damage to property. what somebody does after college has nothing to do with what they did as a student.

I ment nothing personal mate, baby4 made a point of saying that the "disturbing" is that students at the moment are going to be professionals.

What annoy's me with the subject of students is how basically everyone of them who go out mid-week, is painted with the same brush.

What I was trying to put accross (although TBF now that i re-read my post its comes accross as abit OTT) is that not all students are scumbags myself and my mates ended up in reasonably well (and we did used to get fairly ****faced). so to say that about this crop of students seems a tad unfair.

I apologise in advance to Baby4, Its just been one of those days.

Advertisement