Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident In Lismore Park

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jesus lads and ladies,
    lets all calm down and keep it civil here,
    the thread is about a house party that happened in Lismore Park and the fact that a large organised group of very young kids where causing trouble outside it. its not about people jobs or students in general causing trouble....its not about bashing or beating up on students verbally...
    keep it on topic or the mods will close this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    ya dont have to be a student to get pissed alot. Their having a last mad laugh before they settle down a little.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ziedth wrote: »
    I ment nothing personal mate, baby4 made a point of saying that the "disturbing" is that students at the moment are going to be professionals.

What annoy's me with the subject of students is how basically everyone of them who go out mid-week, is painted with the same brush.

What I was trying to put accross (although TBF now that i re-read my post its comes accross as abit OTT) is that not all students are scumbags myself and my mates ended up in reasonably well (and we did used to get fairly ****faced). so to say that about this crop of students seems a tad unfair.

I apologise in advance to Baby4, Its just been one of those days.

I'm not being offended anyway, I know its annoying you but people will always generalize:
    - all travelers are scum
    - all kilkenny people like hurling and take waterford jobs :rolleyes:
    etc

Students have a bad rep because people incl myself see them getting grants and then going on piss ups every other day and people incl myself know alot of that is also true...lets not forget most people were students at some point but are now paying tax and don't enjoy people wasting our tax on drink ;)

Not all students are scumbags we all know that but there is a certain percentage that will break things or steal traffic cones or some other student type thing during there college years and not everyone sees this as fun as enjoyable as the students do :)

Regardless of if some young lads started it or some students started it neither is in the right and its not on at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cabaal wrote: »
    steal traffic cones or some other student type thing during there college years and not everyone sees this as fun as enjoyable as the students do :)
    What is it about the traffic cones anyways lol. Students love them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyway... Back on topic please folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

robtri wrote: »
    jesus lads and ladies,
    lets all calm down and keep it civil here,
    the thread is about a house party that happened in Lismore Park and the fact that a large organised group of very young kids where causing trouble outside it. its not about people jobs or students in general causing trouble....its not about bashing or beating up on students verbally...
    keep it on topic or the mods will close this thread...

Ya I don't want to be responsible for turning this into row, just that you tube link really pissed me off. I'll keep it on topic from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With regards to this.. two people (married mothers) claim they heard on WLRFM that there was a murder in Lismore Park on the night in question. Apparently a gang of youths were invovled in the situation. They were asking did I know anything about it being near the area. Think WLR may have got it wrong as it never made national news (or any other news source). Either that or they are dillusional!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Sully wrote: »
    With regards to this.. two people (married mothers) claim they heard on WLRFM that there was a murder in Lismore Park on the night in question. Apparently a gang of youths were invovled in the situation. They were asking did I know anything about it being near the area. Think WLR may have got it wrong as it never made national news (or any other news source). Either that or they are dillusional!

Billy McCarthy had a rep from the Lismore Park residents on yesterday in relation to this - apparantly it was a hit and run. A car load of youths with no lights on hit a car with a mother and young child in - seemingly very lucky they escaped without injury

What annoyed me was straightaway the caller blamed students

I think we're all in danger of labelling certain groups for all the trouble going on at the moment

This thread was in relation to local children and another group of youths be they students or not but now it seems to have developed into student bashing. i dont see too many people on here commenting on the carry on of the kids in question or is this form of behaviour acceptable these days!!

I dont know how or why it started

I had hoped that we would have had an impartial debate dealing with the issues as I feel that we should be more worried by the antics of the group of young kids involved in this. I fear bigtime for their futures and the lack of guidance that they are getting - also bear in mind that this was at 8.30pm and the younsters were not full of alcohol. I dread to think what would have happened if they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Billy McCarthy had a rep from the Lismore Park residents on yesterday in relation to this - apparantly it was a hit and run. A car load of youths with no lights on hit a car with a mother and young child in - seemingly very lucky they escaped without injury

What annoyed me was straightaway the caller blamed students

I think we're all in danger of labelling certain groups for all the trouble going on at the moment

This thread was in relation to local children and another group of youths be they students or not but now it seems to have developed into student bashing. i dont see too many people on here commenting on the carry on of the kids in question or is this form of behaviour acceptable these days!!

I dont know how or why it started

I had hoped that we would have had an impartial debate dealing with the issues as I feel that we should be more worried by the antics of the group of young kids involved in this. I fear bigtime for their futures and the lack of guidance that they are getting - also bear in mind that this was at 8.30pm and the younsters were not full of alcohol. I dread to think what would have happened if they were.
    my mother lives around the corner from where the incident occured. If students seem to be the main culprit its because the car that was involved was parked on the estate and when driven away by apparent revelers they jumped the kerb to get out onto the road.
    It's not rocket science to put two and two together by the people who have to live there, it being used as a car park for students and christmas day an all.

p.s. I really don't give a **** about how this is perceived, my mother gladly allows some lass to park on her driveway so its not a case of bias against the student nation either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

solas wrote: »
    my mother lives around the corner from where the incident occured. If students seem to be the main culprit its because the car that was involved was parked on the estate and when driven away by apparent revelers they jumped the kerb to get out onto the road.
    It's not rocket science to put two and two together by the people who have to live there, it being used as a car park for students and christmas day an all.

p.s. I really don't give a **** about how this is perceived, my mother gladly allows some lass to park on her driveway so its not a case of bias against the student nation either.

i completely agree with your last part there - i live on a road that the students have to walk to get to town - the funny thing is, they are more noisy on the way to town , singing, shouting , breaking bottles , i think i know every rebel song ever written, word by word from them singing it every tuesday and wednesday night passing my house, please dont come back with a sit on the fence answer "how do you know they are students" " can you prove it"

they are students and i know they are - i think im the only man in waterford that hopes we do not get university status - more of those assholes - i really hope not

University status wont make a huge difference on that campus as they don't have any room to build more to get more students. The new campus will be away from estates and I would imagine the amount renting in Lismore Park wont change by much. The college are looking at their disciplinary procedures I believe so I would gather there "Not on college grounds, we do nothing" approach might change to incidents involving students.

Templers Hall residents put up with a lot more then Lismore Park judging by the noise residents make about students living there. It might be time the folks in Lismore Park started making a bit more noise publicly including contacting local politicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Templers Hall residents put up with a lot more then Lismore Park judging by the noise residents make about students living there. It might be time the folks in Lismore Park started making a bit more noise publicly including contacting local politicans.

Just one point Sully. Templars Hall was built very recently and the college was at that point already quite large. The people who bought houses in Templars Hall were young residents or investors. Lismore Park is a different situation. Many of the residents have lived there since 1969/70 and have never had to put up with the current nonsense until the last couple of years. A lot of the residents are also approaching pensioner age and continually face a situation whereby if they decide to go to the shop for some groceries, they may have to park at the end of the street by the time they get back, or they may be woken by anti-social behviour at night.

gscully wrote: »
    Just one point Sully. Templars Hall was built very recently and the college was at that point already quite large. The people who bought houses in Templars Hall were young residents or investors. Lismore Park is a different situation. Many of the residents have lived there since 1969/70 and have never had to put up with the current nonsense until the last couple of years. A lot of the residents are also approaching pensioner age and continually face a situation whereby if they decide to go to the shop for some groceries, they may have to park at the end of the street by the time they get back, or they may be woken by anti-social behviour at night.

I dont doubt you but my point was the press and people in general seem to think Lismore Park get off easy compared to Templers residents simply because they make a hell of a lot more noise then Lismore Park residents. If you dont shout loud enough, nothing will get done. People think that it musnt be that bad.

Nobody should have to live with the situation of anti social behaviour (which the college are looking into from what I am told, only because of Templers make a big fuss) and parking which makes access to their property harder or the area unsafe.

I think this topic is more about a particular incident and lets not try get into the other issues affecting Lismore Park as we have a thread on that one already. So, on that note, lets move back to the point at hand. Feel free to bump the other topic on Lismore Park to discuss it further if anybody likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigjigwig77

Although most people seem to be ignoring the subject of this thread...

I have a similar story to the origional. While in college in Limerick about two years ago, I threw a house party for my friends birthday, as our neighbours were a nice couple who didn't mind the parties as long as we left to go to town before half eleven and didn't make noise when we came home, fair enough I believe.

Unfortunatly this arrangement didn't cover a large group of kids from about 12-16 arriving at the doorway and causing all kinds of trouble, including grabbing my friends hair and dragging her out the door! Eventually the Gardai arrived, who didn't bother coming when we called as we're just "bloody students", arriving only after our neighbours called and they scattered.

I've heard of and witnessed many of these such incidents where little scummers basicly attack a student house party because they know that generally the students will not use much force in getting them away and that the Gardai will usually not bother to arrive for a long, long time.

In this one area, I believe students are not to blame. Although I'm sure most of you will blame them anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

University status wont make a huge difference on that campus as they don't have any room to build more to get more students. The new campus will be away from estates and I would imagine the amount renting in Lismore Park wont change by much. The college are looking at their disciplinary procedures I believe so I would gather there "Not on college grounds, we do nothing" approach might change to incidents involving students.

I know its off topic and all, but in relation to your comment on not having enough room to build,
    WIT have only last week or so been given the go ahead for a new engineering building situated on the small car and the surroundings opposite the AIB.

They've also been given the go ahead for a new research facility out in carriganore
    http://www2.wit.ie/News/MainBody,33236,en.html

Just a bit of info for ye,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sailor_babii

robtri wrote: »
    Students who are found to be part of this should be expelled from the WIT, as it really gives a bad name for the WIT to the locals.
    WIT has no power over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sailor_babii

ArcLabs Research & Innovation Centre is awesome! I had an office there when I was working for that Terra Madre food festival in September of this year. A bit hi-tech.

Horgan wrote: »
    I know its off topic and all, but in relation to your comment on not having enough room to build,
    WIT have only last week or so been given the go ahead for a new engineering building situated on the small car and the surroundings opposite the AIB.

They've also been given the go ahead for a new research facility out in carriganore
    http://www2.wit.ie/News/MainBody,33236,en.html

Just a bit of info for ye,

Jesus Christ... Even more spaces removed, causing more mayhem in the surrounding area. Im beginning to wonder do the college give a **** about parking and the local residents being affected. Its only going to get worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Jesus Christ... Even more spaces removed, causing more mayhem in the surrounding area. Im beginning to wonder do the college give a **** about parking and the local residents being affected. Its only going to get worse!

unless its a plan, to annoy the residents so much that when they go for a multi-story car park, people will be so happy to get rid of all the cars in lismore that they won't object.....

• Advertisement

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I know it's still off-topic, but... If the college aren't capable of looking after the needs of the students and the lecturers who miss valuable teaching time while trying to find a place to park, then they don't deserve university status. It shouldn't just be about the degrees they are capable of giving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigjigwig77

gscully wrote: »
    It shouldn't just be about the degrees they are capable of giving out.

Actually it should.

Actually it should.

Ultimately yes, but a university should be duty-bound to provide the very best of services to it's students and staff. The very fact that students and lecturers are missing valuable class time means the college is failing in it's duty to them.

The bottom line is that the college, in it's eagerness to have all the high-tech trimmings, is forgetting that class time is what will help the students the most.

Advertisement