Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where's my Log Book??

Options
  • 04-12-2008 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I bought a car from a reputable dealer just over 2 weeks ago. The sales guy I dealt with assured me on 2 occasions since I bought the car that he sent off the log book to be changed over to my name. I have a receipt and everything from when I bought the car so I'm not worried about that.

What I am worried about though is that the tax on the car expired at the end of October. I can't tax the car until I get the new log book, (or can I?) so what happens if i'm stopped by the Gardaí?

Will they accept my explanation or what might happen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A decent Guard will accept the explanation - bring the receipt for the car with you and show it if asked. I had to wait over 3 months to get my RF100 for a new car and only got stopped once in the time between collecting the car (August) and getting it taxed (yesterday!); the Guard accepted the explanation entirely and let me on my way - they even opened the conversation with asking me when I bought it (its a high reg 08 so looked 'new').

You can check and see if Revenue have acted on the request yet via motortax.ie - theres a vehicle transaction checker there. It may have got lost in the post to them, or lost in the post on the way back either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I was waiting about 8 weeks to get mine. If you ring Shannon, they only answer the phone at certain times. I emailed them, kept a copy of the email in the car just in case. They did email me back in fairness...about 3 weeks after i got the log book. Gotta love their efficiency:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Cheers for the replies. Good to know it's not a once off and that I might just have to wait a while more for it!

I do keep the receipt with me when driving just in case. I did actually get stopped at a checkpoint about a week ago, but the Gardaí were more interested in checking who were in the cars if you know what I mean.

Didn't even glance at the tax & insurance.... and I had the whole story ready to blurt out about only just buying it and waiting for the log book etc. etc. Didn't even have a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,247 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

While it takes a few weeks to process a new VLC, you could always try ringing Shannon and check if they actually received the old VLC from the dealer. It doesn't take 2 weeks to receive it by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Did you recently forget to pay for your petrol by any chance ?
    see here :D
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055433602

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Paulw0t

I had a similar issue, emailing the office in shannon was alot more usefull than actually calling them as I ended up sitting on hold all day, There is a checker online that you can see when the car has changed details https://www.motortax.ie/PSE enter your reg into that and check if the details changed recently, I went to the tax office and taxed my car without the log book, because when I emailed them they said my details had changed on there system so I could tax it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

JoeySully wrote: »
    Did you recently forget to pay for your petrol by any chance ?
    see here :D
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055433602

N'ah - wasn't me! having read through that othe thread though, I'm thinking I should be more actively chasing this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Practically speaking you should have asked for the car to be taxed before taking delivery as the offence is "non-display" of a valid tax disc. The circumstances as to why the "non-display" has occurred are none of a Garda's business, and you could be fined for it.

Advertisement