Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing software

• 04-12-2008 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Myself and a few mates are messing around with the idea of a short, can anyone recommend (preferable free) editing software. Doesn't have to do anything amazing just something that'll do the job a bit better than 'Movie Maker'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Possibly you could use some Open Source software...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_software_packages#Video_editing

I don't know anything much about this but I think Avidemux is one of the most popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you want to buy 'proper' video-editing software in a box then Easons, O'Connell St sell it downstairs for ~€50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

define *proper* what brand are we talking here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was looking at Sony Vegas Pro in PC World. Costs €90 but looks pretty damn good. Anyone ever try it?

I know a number of people who swear by Vegas...though I'm pretty sure none of them payed for it though :D

For *Free* basic editing, your really looking for something with the default non linear layout and the ability to export it directly. Almost everything else you can get elsewhere (windows movie maker/Imovie have capture ability) compression software is freely available online etc.

sadly glancing through the list above, most of the open source is linear, which is just a pain in the ass

avisynth is nonlinear...but its all script base...hmm

Cinelerra seems to be the ticket, try that one. *ughhh*

no windows support!

damn!

kdenlive looks good but its also linux only :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    define *proper* what brand are we talking here?

51YnrxhTeKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Nolanger wrote: »
    51YnrxhTeKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

taking a look at the website

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/plus/

its no better then Imovie or the latest windows movie maker except with a number of extra cheesy effects.

its non linear though which is a good thing (but so are the above)

for basic home editing it would be fine (though vegas for an extra 40 euro would probably have more support and features.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Is there anywhere i can try Vegas for free? I don't miind shelling out €90 but i'd like to try it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Thanx, i'm just downloading a trial for Adobe Premier. Is it any use? I do like photoshop and C3, so hopefully its as good

• Advertisement

premiere is very good. But i think a full version can be a bit costly.

Advertisement