Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Match Fix Allegation Rocks Spanish Football

• 04-12-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Another Italian job ?

04/12/2008 10:47
    New Match Fix Allegation Rocks Spanish Football

Fresh allegations of match-fixing have been made by Levante's former captain Iñaki Descarga, who claims his side lost at Athletic in order to keep the Basque Country side from going down two seasons ago.

177_thumb.jpg

Levante players helped fix the match against Athletic Bilbao on the last day of the 2006-07 campaign that saw the Basque Country team win and stay up and send Celta Vigo down, according to the club's former captain, Iñaki Descarga.

The revelation comes only days after Jesuli caused a stir by stating that he had been paid for Tenerife to lose against Málaga last term, even though he did not play in the encounter.

Descarga is alleged to have told Levante president Julio Romero about the incident in a conversation that Popular TV picked up on and have now released to add to the scandal.

Celta Vigo will be stunned by the news, because they needed Levante to take something from the game in San Mamés in order to stay up, but instead Athletic's 2-0 win meant they were relegated.

In the conversation between Descarga and Romero, the player said: "Now the whole team wants a bonus, which would mean putting it in a safe box. If you saw the game you could not tell that it was fixed.

"I should really have told the whole squad, but if I had then it would have been done."

Jesuli revealed earlier this week that he had been paid around €6,000 to help Tenerife lose, but Descarga did not reveal how much or who paid him.

The scandal has caused uproar with Málaga, Tenerife and Real Sociedad all infuriated by the claims and this latest chapter is sure to bring a swift response from Levante and Athletic.

Comments

Wow. I didn't see that coming. I wonder if Celta Vigo will receive the same screwjob Sheffield United got.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It's a sad day when Athletic Bilbao need to cheat to stay in the Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah the Premiership.

Say what you want about it, but it ain't fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

noodler wrote: »
    Ah the Premiership.

Say what you want about it, but it ain't fixed!

GTFO :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Jesus the whole bloody team was in on it ! Well they can hardly be demoted as they got relegated themselves last season. Maybe the next one down again. Not surprised they took a bribe as they were in financial difficulties themselves last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Spanish FA are now saying they are starting an investigation into the matter. Only took them 12hrs !

Two games under spotlight

Spanish FA look into two fixtures over match fixing allegations

By Richard Bailey Last updated: 4th December 2008

Bilbao: Under investigation

The Spanish football federation has declared that two Spanish league fixtures over the previous two seasons will be investigated for match-fixing.

The matches involved were Athletic Bilbao's clash with Levante at the end of the 2006/07 season and the last game of the second division campaign last season between Malaga and Tenerife.

Bilbao needed a win to avoid their first ever relegation from the Primera Liga and defeated Levante 2-0 sending Celta Vigo down in the process.

Malaga needed a win to secure promotion to the top flight at the expense of Real Sociedad and they duly beat Tenerife 2-1.

"Anyone who has to investigate should do so and if they find out anything punishable then they should go ahead." Federation spokesman Jorge Carretero told Radio Marca.

"I don't like any of this and that is why it should be dealt with as soon as possible. Spanish football is enjoying marvellous health. We should not get embittered." Carretero added.

Conspiracy
    On Wednesday TV channel Popular TV released a recording of an alleged conversation between Levante president Julio Romero and midfielder Inaki Descarga.

In the alleged discussion the pair are said to have spoken about a payment some of the team had received in order to throw the game against Bilbao.

"As a consequence of this, I wish to make it known that I have put this matter in the hands of my lawyers with the aim that they take the right legal action." Romero responded.

The federation's Competition Committee agreed on Tuesday to send information about the Malaga versus Tenerife match to Spain's State Prosecutor following a report in El Mundo newspaper.

The paper published a transcript of another alleged conversation between Sociedad president Inaki Badiola and former Tenerife player Jesuli Mora.

Jesuli, who did feature in the match in question, said he had been paid to throw the game in Malaga's favour.

Jesuli now intends to sue Badiola for recording their conversation.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_4589430,00.html

Advertisement