Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Ultra marathon.. ..sure why not?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

The definition:

“An ultramarathon is a sporting event involving running longer than the traditional marathon length of 26.2 miles.”

Having completed 4 marathons in the last year it’s now time to up the challenge again.
    As far as I am aware the Connemara ultra is the only ultra marathon in Ireland but correct me if I wrong. So if the event is there, why not take up the test?

The distance of the race is 39.3 miles. That’s 1.5 marathons. To some, to run that distance seems mad, to others not so.
    There are a couple of individuals in these logs who have done ultra marathons and have logs here for races in 2009. I will also be logging my training in the lead up to the race, so hopefully I will give a good account of myself on the day itself.

So just a brief on the training plan: Like fellow Boardsie SUNGOD I will be loosely following the Hal Higdon Ultra marathon plan. That plan is geared towards 54 mile Comardes run in SA.
    With the Connemara ultra somewhat less in distance the principles are basically the same.

 5 runs per week – Currently running 4 days and 1 bike ride per week now so will up to 5 days in first week Jan.
     Monday and Friday rest days.
     Back to back long runs on Sat and Sun. I define long runs at 16 miles and over and I will be doing probably 4-5 sets of those. As I live in Wicklow replicating the race hills won’t be a problem and I have two cruel hills that I can incorporate into my runs.
     Midweek runs between 6-8 miles with one day for speed work i.e. mile repeats
     Peak mileage will be low 60’s.

On the face of it the plan may seem a bit light for the time I have in mind to complete the race, but then I am coming from a good base so I hope it will be sufficient

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Groovy! I know you will finish this, so its just a matter of how fast really. Its on my to-do list but not for 2009 so I'll hopefully learn something from your log!

Thanks dude ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Last year i thought anything over 5m was nuts ....never knew that an ultra marathon even existed to be honest.
    but now i see it all in a different light ....its just another challenge when you have done normal marathons.

Best of luck to you abhainn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Another log! It’s great to see so many of them in this forum. Though its taking more time to keep up with everyone’s accounts.

I forgot to mention earlier my first race since 1989 was the Connemara half in 2007. I followed that up with the Connemara full this year.
    The setting of the race is brilliant so I hope the ultra doesn't disappoint - well the first 13 miles anyway.

I took two weeks off after the Dublin marathon. I needed it. I am also lucky I kept injury free since the spring and so far …touch wood.
    For the last couple of weeks I have been easing back into it. 3 – 4 runs a week and a bike ride here and there. I will probably follow similar reporting as I did for the Berlin marathon that been a summary of the week that was.
    So here goes week ending 30th November. All mid week runs are done at lunchtime. Lucky to have showers at work.

Mon - 6 miles in 43:43. 07:17 / mile pace. HR 146 (78%). North wind made this difficult. Never got the benefit of it on way back

Tues – Rest

Wed – 7.1miles in 52:25. 07:23 / mile pace. HR 149. (79 %). An uncomfortable run. Sometimes I find that after a rest I feel worse than if I was running on consecutive days.

Thurs – 8.1miles in 59:29. 07:21 / mile pace. HR 151 (80%). Better run than yesterday.

Fri - Rest

Sat – 14.2 miles in 1:42:42. 07:15/ mile HR 161. (86%). Starting to increase distance of the the weekend run.
    This run took my through the valleys and hills of the Ox mts in very cold conditions. I don’t have running leggings so used my cycle tights. Thank God I did.
    I didn’t mean it to be as fast as this but it’s interesting to note the last time I did that run was in early Aug. I finished nearly 1 minute faster and HR was only 147 average then. And that was after a 9 mile at MP run the previous day.
    Have I gone back that much? Conditions were a factor I’m sure but as I have done no speed or higher intensity sessions in weeks they must have contributed also.

Sun – Rest. I was surprised that my legs were no way aching after yesterday. I’m sure it’s something to do with the bike tights .So I should invest in a pair of Skins?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Abhainn. Also a challenge I'd like to take one some time, so I'll be keeping a keen eye on your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Good stuff Connemara is a nice ultra I'm sure the course will enjoy you. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi Abhainn best of luck with your training......its only 15 weeks away :eek:
    so with build up and taper there will only be a few hard back to back weekends for us.........ya need that "glass half full" attitude to convince yourself its normal to want to run 39.3 miles:D

anway best of luck and i will see ya in 15 weeks time in connemara and im sure one of us will say " what the f*** are we doing"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Odysseus wrote: »
    I'm sure the course will enjoy you.

Sounds ominous :D

SUNGOD wrote: »
    hi Abhainn best of luck with your training......its only 15 weeks away :eek:
    so with build up and taper there will only be a few hard back to back weekends for us.........ya need that "glass half full" attitude to convince yourself its normal to want to run 39.3 miles:D

anway best of luck and i will see ya in 15 weeks time in connemara and im sure one of us will say " what the f*** are we doing"

Thanks all and you too SUNGOD.
    It's was hard enough overcoming the 26 mile mental thing, the extra 13 miles seems daunting now.
    Crossing my fingers also for favourable weather, it been 2 weeks earlier than last year and March can be awful.

On a another point : I remember Helena Crossan when she overtook me last year (she won the womens ultra). She was fairly moving alright but she had a helper on a bike supplying liquids etc - do you think we could con someone into cycling the whole distance with us and throw us the auld fig roll now and again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck with your training Abhainn and looking forward to reading your updates. Your plan sounds good.

I'm almost finished reading 'What I talk about when I talk about running' by Haruki Murakami. In one chapter he recalls a 62 mile ultra marathon that he did in Japan. Gruelling stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi Abhainn, if I may be so bold I would recommend getting your hands on a copy of running through the wall edited by Neal Jamison its full of inspiring stories. The extra 13 miles will pass quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shergar76

Good luck Abhainn.

Maybe one day I'll do an ultra but sticking with the marathon for now!

See you in Connemara!

Shergar

Week ending: 7th Dec

Continung to up the milage a bit. Still 4 days running and 1 bike ride.

Mon - 6 miles in 42:53. HR 146 (78%). Good run. Legs feel fresh

Tues – Rest

Wed – 7.1miles including 3 x 1 mile repeats with recovery mile between each.
    Was aiming the miles at around 06:30 pace but ended up around 5k pace with 06:16, 05:58 & 06:02.
    First hard session in ages so happy and mile splits
    Session duration 49:06. HR 157 (84%)

Thurs – 8.1miles in 59:31. HR 151 (80%).
    Tried out a colleagues Garmin 305 for this run. Loads of features, possibly too many and found myself constantly messing about with these too much during the run. The unit is bulky also. Wouldn’t be a big fan of it, though if one was going for free I’d probably wouldn’t refuse.
    Could fell yesterdays session in my legs.

Fri - Rest

Sat – 16.25 miles in 2:00:25. 07:25/ mile pace. HR 152. (81%).
    First long run in ideal conditions apart from cold! (2C) Was aiming for 07:40 /mile but second half of run (which included a tough climb of 1.5k ) was somewhat quicker than this. Must try and keep long runs slower

Sun:
    64k bike ride which is officially my longest ever.
    Overall good ride apart from one 3.5k very tough climb in first half with gradiants of 10% in places. Jesus that was killer,
    Will have second thoughts taking on that particular route again. Took me 2:30 to complete but not bothered at this. Finished last 15k fairly strong.
    HR 134 (71%)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Euchrid

Hey Abhainn,

Good to see you are hard back at it. Still on downtime myself but hoping to get going again this week. Just need to find a few short-term targets for motivation!

I did the Ultra last year and loved it. The way I figured, I had done a few marathons so no bother to get through the 26 miles (And it's not very hilly before then.) Just take it a bit handy and you'll get that far easily. And that's where the race starts...

I've done the half and the Ultra so I might just be tempted to go back for the full this year, so might see you there.

Good luck with the training..

May have to travel to UK for work later in week and possibly over the weekend so will try and get in 3 runs in before then.
    But when I do travel I always try and get in some training whether it is a swim, gym, or run session. So we'll see how it goes.

See Eireman is open for regristration now which is great. As it's only about 50k from Wicklow town where I live, it seems only logical that I take on the half IM there.
    I happened to visit the place in the summer and seems a nice spot. The course seems great too.

Euchrid wrote: »
    Hey Abhainn,

Good to see you are hard back at it. Still on downtime myself but hoping to get going again this week. Just need to find a few short-term targets for motivation!

I did the Ultra last year and loved it. The way I figured, I had done a few marathons so no bother to get through the 26 miles (And it's not very hilly before then.) Just take it a bit handy and you'll get that far easily. And that's where the race starts...

I've done the half and the Ultra so I might just be tempted to go back for the full this year, so might see you there.

Good luck with the training..

Cheers Euchrid, your taking a long break! Your resting well in prep for IM next year. (Which one is it?)
    I thought you were doing the Athenry 10k?
    I might do the Wicklow 5k on St Stephens day myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Euchrid

Hey

I'll do the Athenry 10km alright. Was supposed to do the Aware 10km as the comeback this weekend gone, but had to work instead! Probably a good thing at the minute. I felt I needed a decent break after Dublin, having overdone things a bit all year. Need to get going again soon though before I lose too much fitness!

I can't even begin to get my head around IM at this stage, but have signed up for Zurich. Need to get my head around the idea soon!

Anyway - Enjoy the Christmas.. will see you at some race soon!

Week ending: 14th Dec

It's been ever so cold this week. The shock of the cold when you step out for a session.
    Good week overall and happy travel to uk didn't happen. Steady she goes

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 43:50. HR 144 (77%). Pace : 07:19 / mile

Wed – Again 7.1miles including 3 x 1 mile repeats with recovery mile between each.
    Was aiming the miles at around 06:10 pace but ended up which I hope will be my 5K pace on Stephens day 05:59, 05:45 & 05:52.
    Session duration 48:46. HR 156 (83%)

Thurs – 8.1miles in 59:02. HR 144 (77%). Pace : 07:17 / mile

Fri - Rest

Sat – 18.25 miles in 2:14:25. HR 152. (81%). Pace : 07:22 / mile.
    First 7 miles or so at 07:35 pace, a few around 7:00 in the last 7.

Sun - Bike ride of 70k in a little over 2:35.
    Ah this wasn't easy. It was cold and nads were frozen off me at times. Could feel yesterdays run in my legs especially on the climbs.
    Ran low on sugar (probably used up more fuel to stabilise body temp because it was so cold) so lucky I had a couple of euro and a large Snickers was welcomed 15k from home.
    HR 133 (71%)

Abhainn wrote: »
    Sun - Bike ride of 70k in a little over 2:35.
    Ah this wasn't easy. It was cold and nads were frozen off me at times. Could feel yesterdays run in my legs especially on the climbs.
    Ran low on sugar (probably used up more fuel to stabilise body temp because it was so cold) so lucky I had a couple of euro and a large Snickers was welcomed 15k from home.
    HR 133 (71%)

Yep, cold it was! I had to get a nutri grain into me for the last 15k myself. Good job sticking to your plan. 18 mile run and a 70k bike is a solid weekend. Your fitness will be savage for the Ultra. Are you going to do a few Triathlons next summer too? If so I'd say your results will be impressive after the Ultra training!

Well MCOS the plan would be 1 sprint and hopefully 2 olympic tri's before Eireman half.
    Summer seems to long away now though.

Getting in sessions this time of year can be difficult.
    With all the gluttony and celebrations to attend it does test you. It is more like damage limitation
    If one does get out the sessions are usually failly easy

For me 4 runs planned this week, with 4 (including a 5k race) planned Christmas week.
    Hopefully the weight won't increase too much.
    Was a 34 inch waist and most jeans etc are miles too big for me now. It was kinda surprising when last Sat when I still found room in the 32 inch jeans I bought.

On a different topic any boardies have high cholesteral?
    I was amazed my reading came back at 6.6 a few weeks ago.
    As you can appreciate my diet is healthy, no frys takeaways, min amount of eggs etc. Cooking always with EV Olive oil, I take cod liver oild. I avoid food with these saturated fats. Just some dairy gold on toast and sandwiches.
    No history in family - all well
    Anyone experienced incorrect readings from the labs that carry these out? My results were analysed in Loughlinstown.

If my true reading is 6.6 I find myself thinking what about those who do zero execerise and have terrible diet. What reading would they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My dad has high cholesterol as well and he'd be in the same situation as you with good diet and lots of running. They say eating lots of wheat can raise your cholesterol, so that might be a problem. Oats are meant to be much better for you cholesterol wise.

Stark wrote: »
    They say eating lots of wheat can raise your cholesterol, so that might be a problem.

Cheers Stark. Well that may explain something, I am a bit surprised though.
    I eat loads of pasta (mostly brown) and bread (soda and brown). I need loads of carbs and would get majority from those

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

As far as I am aware the Connemara ultra is the only ultra marathon in Ireland but correct me if I wrong.

It's the only "on-road" ultra.
    I think the Wicklow way is also an ultra. 44km but varies slightly year-on-year, I think.
    I forgot to mention earlier my first race since 1989 was the Connemara half in 2007. I followed that up with the Connemara full this year.
    It's a very select bunch of people who have done all 3 events in Connemara. I think I know only one!
    Best of luck!

Alan

Week ending: 21st Dec

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6.4 miles in 47:30. HR 146 (78%). Pace : 07:25 / mile. Evening run - didn't enjoy it much.

Wed – 8.1 miles in 58:31. HR 143 (76%). Pace 07:13 / mile.

Thurs - Rest

Fri - 5 miles with 4 x 1k. Average 3:47 each. Wind was brutal and made the repeats very tough. HR up to 178 on the repeats. Thought I was good to calve.

Sat – 11.5 miles in 1:23:20. HR 149. (79%). Pace : 07:14 / mile.
    First 4 miles a bit of a struggle probably due to the few beers and wine last night (In laws over for a week!).
    Enjoyed last few miles. Great day for running.

Sun - Rest

Body feels in bits this morning. More alcohol Sat night and some yesterday. Not good at all.

Week ending: 28st Dec

It's not good when the in laws are over for a week and various functions to atttend . A quick calculation from Sat to Fri seems shows and I am embarrassed to admit that I consumed at least 3 times more than I should for the week.
    I planned 4 running sessions, got 5 in. 1 great run, 1 PB so actually a good week overall

Detail:

Mon - 6 miles in 43:12. HR 144 (77%). Pace : 07:12/ mile.
    Body in bits but did run anyway. After first mile things not too bad, and actually found going ok then. .

Tues – 8.1 miles in 56:20. HR 147 (78%). Pace : 06:57 / mile.
    Wanted to make this a more interesting run. So intended to start off at 07:30 pace / mile for first mile. For every mile, plan was to decrease time by 5 secs for each mile or so irrespective of gradient
    Actually first mile was 7:20 and ended up last been 6:19.
    A most enjoyable run, felt as if I was gliding along all the way. One of my favourites of 2008

Wed – 4.4 miles in 32:02. HR 142 (76%). Pace 07:17 / mile.
    Managed to squeeze this into a busy day

Thurs - Rest

Fri - Street of Wicklow 5k race
    Time 18:07. HR 172 (91%) A PB by over a minute!
    Hoping to squeeze under 18:40 which would see an average time of 3 sub 6 min miles.
    Really chuffed at this time. A hilly course with tight cornors didn't make it easy. Sub 18 is a definite possibility.
    Martin Fagan is some dude.

Sat – Rest. Left achilles seems to be acting up again. Those tight cornors yesterday did it no favours

Sun - 12.5 miles in 1:31:20. HR 143. (73%). Pace : 07:19 / mile.
    Very cold (-2C at start). An enjoyable run though achilles still sore

Well done on the 5k pb thats good running :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You should have said hello, it probably was me as I was forbidden from running on the day, she wanted to make it about the kids. Another poster from boards did say hello, wallyruns is his name, had a few pints with him after the DM, It's always nice to put faces to the usernames. I actually introduced him to my wife as wally, sorry Mark.
    Congrats on the pb, great to see your still flying. There's a 5K in the phoenix park, probably a slightly faster course aswell and you never know sub 18 could be on.
    Are you going to do Berlin this year, I myself am already registered. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice going on the pb Abhainn. Considering the season thats in it its all the more of an achievement.

Woddle wrote: »
    You should have said hello, it probably was me as I was forbidden from running on the day, she wanted to make it about the kids. Another poster from boards did say hello, wallyruns is his name, had a few pints with him after the DM, It's always nice to put faces to the usernames. I actually introduced him to my wife as wally, sorry Mark.
    Congrats on the pb, great to see your still flying. There's a 5K in the phoenix park, probablya slightly faster course aswell and you never know sub 18 could be on.
    Are you going to do Berlin this year, I myself am already registered. Keep up the good work

Heh Woddle you were too busy keeping up with your little girl to get a chance to talk with you! I figured I would see later anyway.

Regarding Berlin well that's not on my plans this year. I have a Half IM planned in late Aug and peaking for a marathon less than a month later would be too much. A fast DM is on the cards though.

Not sure what race is next up. I would like to get at least one race in before the Ultra but I'm not sure which yet.

• Advertisement

Week ending: 4th Jan

A better week than last on the alcohol front even tough spent 4 days in Sligo where I got two two good runs in. Still a lot of food though. When I got on scales this morning it seems I only put on less than a 1 kg in last two weeks. Still would like to loose 3kg before Conn.
    Amazinly I am still classified as over weight with BMI of 25.1!

Summary:
    4 runs. Miles 50.2

Detail:

Mon - 7.66 miles in 55:20. HR 145 (77%). Pace : 07:14 / mile.
    Legs felt a bit tired from yesterday but this hilly run was worth while. Left achilles not too sore

Tues – Rest. Travelling most of the day.

Wed – 20.2 miles in 2:28. HR 152 (81%). Pace 07:20 / mile.
    Fab crisp morning. This run took me to the edge of the OX mts through the towns of Bunnyconlon and Ballina. Crossed the Mayo - Sligo borders many times. Solid run. Comfortable enough. Nice way to finish 2008

Thurs - Rest.

Fri - 9.2 miles in 1:04:54. HR 150 (80%). Felt a bit sleepy and dopey for first 4miles because of celebrations. Legs ok.

Sat – Rest. Travelling again

Sun - 13.1 miles in 1:34:30. HR 147. (78%). Pace : 07:12 / mile.
    Nice run. Conditions damp and cool but ideal for running.
    Achilles still a little tender. Applying some ice in last week but decided not to take any anti -flams yet.

Advertisement