Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Ultra marathon.. ..sure why not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Last two weeks went much better than expected as I kinda deviated from plan. Was worried that I might put on a few extra kgs but happy not too.
    I am perhaps a little ahead of where I wanted to be on my plan right now so hopefully Jan goes well.

So in coming weeks 5 runs are planned each week. 3 mid week runs of distance 6-9 miles each with one of them fartley or tempo. Sat and Sun are long runs building up to 40 miles in total which is probably same as SUNGOD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just been looking through your log Abhainn as I'm thinking of changing my Connemara entry to the ultra. Training looks good, you're a lot faster than me but it's looking increasingly likely that you'll see me on the start line for the ultra(I'll probably be in a Leeds jersey so do say hello :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just on Ultras in Ireland. There'll be at least 4 this year :

The Art O'Neill Challenge this Friday night. (55K, road and off road)

The Connemara Ultra (63k, road)

The Anglo Celtic plate / Celtic 100 Km in Galway, the week after Connemara (100km, road). This is the big one this year. Should see all the best ultra runners from Ireland and the UK taking part for various reasons.

The Wicklow Ultra (44km, mostly off road, same course every year!!!!)

And also another possible multi-day ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Is there are reason they are all early in the year? (and a week between connemara and anglo-celtic plate)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Enduro, is ther any info knockin around on the celtic plate.fb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Abhainn wrote: »

Wed – 20.2 miles in 2:28. HR 152 (81%). Pace 07:20 / mile.

Sun - 13.1 miles in 1:34:30. HR 147. (78%). Pace : 07:12 / mile.

two very good runs there Abhainn. great pace for a long training run
    my long runs wouldnt be as fast as that at the moment
    just trying to get the miles in and hopefully the speed will follow
    this is where it gets interesting as the weekend runs increase ...should be fun:D

SUNGOD wrote: »
    two very good runs there Abhainn. great pace for a long training run
    my long runs wouldnt be as fast as that at the moment
    just trying to get the miles in and hopefully the speed will follow
    this is where it gets interesting as the weekend runs increase ...should be fun:D

Thanks SUNGOD. Yea those times are not slow but I feel comfortable with them right now.
    I wonder will I be saying the same on back to back 18 and 22 milers?

Time is flying by with only 10 weeks to go. What are your plans on gels for the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Is there are reason they are all early in the year? (and a week between connemara and anglo-celtic plate)...

Each race has its own reasons for being run on its particular date. Unfortunately that puts 3 of them pretty much one after the other.

The Art O'Neill date goes back to the date of Art's escape from the castle :)

The Connemara is close to the traditional Connemarathon date, but moved earlier because the race director is doing an event on the traditonal date (I think)

The ACP is being used by the British teams as a selection race for the commonwealth games, so needs to be in the spring. Its usually heald in spring/early summer anyway. It is putting in a gap before the world championships in 24 hours and 100km (Big factor). Given that its running on the seafront in Sathill any earlier increases the weather risk factor.

The Wicklow ultra has always been heald in or around that date, and since it was the first ultra of the 4 to be established, the other clash with it, not the other way around!
    Enduro, is ther any info knockin around on the celtic plate.fb

There is info on the website now.

Time is flying by with only 10 weeks to go. What are your plans on gels for the race?

i used gels in connemara and cork last year and was undecided about the effect they had, but i used caffinated gels in dublin and they deffinintely helped me .
    i used 3 i think and would have loved 1 more
    so the plan for the ultra would be 6 ? caffinated gels.
    my plan at the moment would be leave sports drinks in the stations with either gels or some solid food like a nutrigrain/jaffa cake.
    this is my rough plan and its open to change
    have you given it much thought Abhainn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

hi guys ,did the connultra lst year,what worked 4 me was i packed gels and drinks with another ultra entrant ,that way you can double your drop boxes and can carry less.your only allowed 3 drop boxes each ,this way you get 6.but d only downer is you have to stay together as thereis always a few bits dat get taken if there opend..fb

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.
    I can manage 3 gels for a marathon but the thoughts of taking 6 in the 5 hrs or so is not a nice. Yes the Jaffa cakes sound good.
    I was also thinking of a carb protein drink also.

I am worried though that the items left in the stations might not be there when we pass.

i heard someone talk about that after last years race.
    someone had taken their drop off, hopefully this is a rare occurence.
    i will prob carry my gels with me from the start just in case and refill my bottle from the drinks(and get nutrigrain/jaffa cakes) i leave at the stations.

i havent looked into it properly but i think 3 drops should be enough for me but if you want to double up like ultraman 1 did let me know.

if not i will prob see you at the start line anyway

Week ending: 11th Jan

Satisfied with this weeks sessions. This week commences the next phase of the plan
    March 22nd seems ages away so in order to keep me focused have decided to do the Dungarvan 10 mile on Feb 1st

Summary:
    5 runs. Miles 50

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 43:14. HR 141 (75%). Pace : 07:12 / mile.

Wed – 7.1 miles in 50:34. HR 144 (77%). Pace 07:07 / mile.
    Legs felt a bit tired and not much bounce in them either.

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 54:14. HR 155 (82%). Pace 06:42 / mile.
    Head cold coming on and felt crap all morning. Intending 4 x 1 mile interval in half marathon pace 6:20-6:25 with 1 mile recovery.
    Happy with 06:13, 06:01, 06:11 & 05:56.

Fri - Rest

Sat – First weekend of the double long run sessions though both this weekends runs can hardly be classified as long runs.

12.5 miles in 1:31:53. HR 146. (78%). Pace : 07:21 / mile.
    First mild weather session in ages!. Didn't feel totally fresh but not a bad run. Still wore bike tights.

Sun - 16.25 miles in 1:59:38. HR 146. (78%) Pace : 07:22 / mile.
    Heh wind strong today. Out 8 miles with the wind and up hill mostly. Then took different route back , and kinda sheltered but with 2 brutal hills in next 2 miles. Managed first one ok. Had to resort to walking 100m or so of the second. Torture. Still recovered and sprinted next mile on the downward stretch!
    Still a bit of the head cold. The amount of snot I blew in the 2 hrs was mad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Thanks guys.
    I can manage 3 gels for a marathon but the thoughts of taking 6 in the 5 hrs or so is not a nice. Yes the Jaffa cakes sound good.
    I was also thinking of a carb protein drink also.

I am worried though that the items left in the stations might not be there when we pass.

Personally I can't stomach those gels. I done the ultra two years ago and I had no problems at the stations. Everything is placed in marked bags, which you mark yourself; so there should be no problems.

decided to do the Dungarvan 10 mile on Feb 1st

see ya there..good boards turn out expected. yourself , me , woddle , sosa , showry , ike ?.

see ya there..good boards turn out expected. yourself , me , woddle , sosa , showry , ike ?.

Good stuff. This will not be a Boards race I hope?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good stuff. This will not be a Boards race I hope?;)

I hope not, as I'll be bottom of that particluar list :o Entered Dungarvan too as I didn't get Ballycotton. Maybe I'll meet one or 2 of you before you scoot off into the distance chasing SUNGOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

me too.

me too.

Great stuff. Seems to be a popular race.

So that's SUNGOD, Hunnymonster, MCOS, Woddle , Sosa , Showry , Ike and myself for now

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Euchrid

Hey Abhainn, looks like you are flying at the minute. You'll be looking at a top ten in the Ultra if you keep the training up! There's a good chance I'll be working that weekend, but just in case I'm not, I've signed up for the full. If training goes well I'll be very tempted to have another go at the ultra!

From what I heard/saw last year, the Ultra runners won't touch your stuff at the aid stations, the marathon runners are unlikely to and there's always a chance some half runner will take anything they fancy. I made sure that I had everything I really needed on board before the big crowds joined at Leenane/26 miles and then had one last bag left after that which I could take or leave.

You probably won't even be out there for 5 hrs so you won't need too much food anyway!!

Good luck with the training...

• Advertisement

Euchrid wrote: »
    Hey Abhainn, looks like you are flying at the minute. You'll be looking at a top ten in the Ultra if you keep the training up! There's a good chance I'll be working that weekend, but just in case I'm not, I've signed up for the full. If training goes well I'll be very tempted to have another go at the ultra!

From what I heard/saw last year, the Ultra runners won't touch your stuff at the aid stations, the marathon runners are unlikely to and there's always a chance some half runner will take anything they fancy. I made sure that I had everything I really needed on board before the big crowds joined at Leenane/26 miles and then had one last bag left after that which I could take or leave.

You probably won't even be out there for 5 hrs so you won't need too much food anyway!!

Good luck with the training...

Cheers Eurchid fo that. Heh it would be good to see you at there specially doing the Ultra. There is not many that would take it on 2 years in a row.

Happy with progress so far. Sub 5? Well its true I don't intend hanging around alright, but sure we'll see how close I can get to it.

Hope your your IM training is coming along ok.

Week ending: 18th Jan

Summary:
    5 runs. Miles 54.2

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 43:24. HR 136 (72%). Pace : 07:14 / mile.
    An easy and comfortable efficient run.

Wed – 7.1 miles in 51:15. HR 141 (75%). Pace 07:13 / mile.
    Horrible day for a run. Conditions made it very unpleasant.

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 53:42. HR 156 (83%). Pace 06:37 / mile.
    Prior to getting gear on was not motivated for this session probably because it was to be a relatively tough session of 4 x 1 mile interval.
    Well gave it more than intended and mile intervals were, 06:03, 05:47: 05:59 & 05:52. Recovery miles were not slow either in around 07:15 mile pace. Fairly wrecked at finish.

Fri - Rest

Sat – 14.5 miles in 1:44:16. HR 148. (79%). Pace : 07:11 / mile.
    Thurs interval still in my legs but ok overall , though a bit quicker than planned. Need to relax more and hold back on the pace.
    Just got home by seconds before the hurricane and rain - lucky!

Sun - 18.5 miles in 2:17 even. HR 143. (76%) Pace : 07:25 / mile.
    Not really looking forward to this one. Legs still ached after yesterday's run a bit.
    Same route as last Sundays run ( 2 major hills) but took in extra 2 miles and my a third climb which is my version of the Hell of the West - 1.5 miles with same height climbed as the real thing.
    Conditions started off ok but deteriorated badly and at final big climb bad wind and sleetly rain nearly froze the hands off me. Survived it and final 3 miles solid.
    No ill affects after.

This weeks plan follows similar to last. Sat and Sun runs will increase by 2 miles each day so will be hitting close to 60 miles next week - the most ever.
    Will take the interval session a bit easier though.
    Following week will be a step back week with a little rest in prep for the 10 mile race in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great pace for those runs abhainn,thats tough going.
    Well done...i am looking forward to Dungarvan myself...good crew from boards going

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wow, fantastic pace on that Thursday run. Do you have a planned pace for the Ultra yet?

Wow, fantastic pace on that Thursday run. Do you have a planned pace for the Ultra yet?

Well Krusty 39 miles is unknown territory but PUMP (Planned Ultra Marathon Pace - I'd say that term exists in the running world ) is 7:35-7:50 / mile.

The intention is that back to back long traning runs which officially start this weekend are within that pace window.

BTW - Best of luck in Raheny this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck with your ongoing training Abhainn. Will you be around Wicklow the weekend of 14th Feb? If so you might make it down to Annacurra for our little hill run? Sure to make up the mileage you could do it ... say 5 times. :rolleyes: Thats me trying to be funny btw.

Good luck with your ongoing training Abhainn. Will you be around Wicklow the weekend of 14th Feb? If so you might make it down to Annacurra for our little hill run? Sure to make up the mileage you could do it ... say 5 times. :rolleyes: Thats me trying to be funny btw.

SJ will be around that weekend but I think I'll leave that you boys, the hill experts.

Week ending: 25th Jan

Summary:
    5 runs. Miles 58

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 43:31. HR 139 (74%). Pace : 07:15 / mile.
    Fairly relaxed recovery run even though conditions bad with sleet and cold.. brrrr.

Wed – 7.1 miles in 51:08. HR 139 (74%). Pace 07:12 / mile.
    2 miles in and felt terrible. Improved after and finished ok

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 54:48. HR 152 (81%). Pace 06:46 / mile.
    4 x 1 mile interval with 1 mile recovery. Intention of a little slower than last week to around 6:10-6:15 / mile pace.
    Completed in 06:16, 06:00, 06:08: 06:04.

Fri - Rest

Sat – 16.3 miles in 1:59. HR 147. (78%). Pace : 07:20 / mile.
    Fab morning, felt great. Steady run and had to keep foot off trottle..
    Managed to beat that 2nd tough climb by not having to walk the middle part.

Sun - 20.5 miles in 2:32.15. HR 146. (77%) Pace : 07:25 / mile.
    This I thought was going to be a real test and I was a bit uneasy at how I would fare.
    First real back to back long runs. Ok yestedays run was in the legs but there were no adverse affects all though.
    Managed the 3 big climbs fine ( not an ache and no walking) and last 3 miles solid and steady.
    Pace was quicker than planned, even though lost time on those hills. HR averaged under 80% on the whole which is good.

Feeling stronger each week. The training plan seems to be working fine.
    Right now a crack at a sub 3 would be spot on after a some MP & tempo runs, but looking forward to a solid run at the Ultra .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good work on the back to back lsrs - progressing nicely towards the goal, good pace too :D

Advertisement