Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Ultra marathon.. ..sure why not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

This is a step back , recovery, rest and mini taper week. So probably 4 runs this week including the Dungarvan 10 mile.

Following two weeks will be back to the tough sessions again while the week after will be step back again as its my sisters wedding is in Galway.

Feel tired today but that is probably my own fault at not going to bed early. Legs and knees a bit stiff but one should expect that after the two long runs.

Week ending: 1st Feb

Summary:
    5 runs. Miles 35

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 44:14. HR 136 (72%). Pace : 07:23 / mile.
    Fairly relaxed recovery run. Knees joints a bit iffy first couple of miles

Wed – 7.1 miles in 47:20. HR 150 (80%). Pace 06:40 / mile.
    One wishes all sessions are like this. 1st mile warm up (7:24) then next 6.1 at tempo pace goal just under 06:45. Well bounced along and avg was 06:33 with HR average at 153.
    Wanted a higher tempo session before 10 mile race on Sun and just what was ordered. Knees still a bit aching at start.

Thurs - 7.1 miles in 51:23. HR 136 (72%). Pace 07:14 / mile.
    Intending 6 but did 7 miles. First time HR under 150 all way round with steady pace! Efficient and barley broke into a sweat. Legs a little stiff first mile or so.

Fri - Rest

Sat – 4.4 miles in 32.43. HR 142. (76%). Pace : 07:27 / mile.
    Easy run with some strides.

Sun - Dungarvan 10 mile road race. Completed in 61:50. HR 167 (89%)
    Conditions weren't favourable with raw cold easterly wind. And arriving late it I had a poor warm up also. Anyway very happy with overall pace and 4 new PB's along the route!
    1. First 5 miles thru in 30:56. (Previous 31:12)
    2. Thru estimated 10k in 38:23 (Previous 38:50)
    3. Last 5 miles in 30:54. (Previous 30:56 above)
    4. 10 miles in 61:50 ( Previous 64:20 - ok achieved in a half marathon but I'm taking it)

Was very satisfied at last 2 miles been strong and overtook quite a few in that last section.

It was good meeting up witbn some boardies also.
    Met Woddle just before the start . Then SUNGOD, SOSA and Showry at the finish. All had great runs, so it was a fine day in Dungarvan for all of us.
    Hopefully SUNGOD and myself can help each other around the Ultra coarse which is just next month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sub 64 :rolleyes: obviously you don't know your own body, 61 is unreal and it gave you enough time to get dressed and wait for me to finish :D and fair play to you with the go on woddle. Great running man, sub 5 is on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Savage running Abhainn, sounds like you just went for it! Knocking the pbs down like dominos and then again (5m) in the same race just to show how strong you are! Class ;)

Woddle wrote: »
    Sub 64 :rolleyes: obviously you don't know your own body, 61 is unreal and it gave you enough time to get dressed and wait for me to finish :D and fair play to you with the go on woddle. Great running man, sub 5 is on

Woddle I was true to my sub 64;). But best case I thought would be mid 62 in ideal conditions. Yesterday wasn't ideal.
    The wind was bad in places and a few nice little hills thrown in though they weren't bad.
    Fair play to your self. Sprinted over the line! Onwards

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Savage running Abhainn, sounds like you just went for it! Knocking the pbs down like dominos and then again (5m) in the same race just to show how strong you are! Class ;)

Thanks MCOS. Sorry to hear about your bad luck .
    Fingers crossed I can keep out of trouble for another 7 weeks.
    Todays recovery run looks a bit uncertain. Must look for some snow boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant run Abhainn. Love the back-to-back 5 mile pb's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

That's a very solid run considering you are ultra training - the strength is standing to you. Might have to start thinking about a sub 60.....:)

That's a very solid run considering you are ultra training - the strength is standing to you. Might have to start thinking about a sub 60.....:)

You know RF I was waiting for you to say that!
    Ya solid enough based on the two long runs previous week. Legs were fine though I was a little worried about this before hand.
    A sub 60 would be a great target but training wise it would mean a lot of speed work which I am not a fan of.
    I remember your blog "The Quest for 59:59" last year. It put me right off it!

Week ending: 8th Feb

Summary: Tough week.
    5 runs. Miles 64.6

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 8.1 miles in 59:45. HR 141 (75%). Pace : 07:22 / mile.
    Unsure if could go for a run because of snow slush on ground and weather conditions but wrapped up well and felt snug apart from wet behind. Legs not too bad from Sundays race.
    Received a few “Jesus your nuts” comments from work colleagues

Wed – 8.1 miles in 59:48. HR 144 (77%). Pace 07:23 / mile.
    Conditions worse than yesterday, underfoot and weather. Paths slush and snow. Cold soaked feet Intending 7 miles but decided to do 1 extra.
    Received a few more “Jesus your nuts” comments from work colleagues

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 59:14. HR 146 (78%). Pace 07:19 / mile.
    Mostly driving sleet and snow all thru run, with some slush on ground. Toughest conditions so far this Not easy.
    Colleagues not even bothering commenting anymore. They just think I’m mad.

Fri - Rest

Sat – 20.3 miles in 2:28:50. HR 147. (78%). Pace : 07:21 / mile.
    Biting cold to start. Loads of ice underfoot at times so that was difficult.
    Only one major climb as “R” roads hills full of ice.
    Last 3 miles were tough. Think last weeks race still in my legs or else it’s the tough terrain

Sun - 20 miles in 2:28:15 even. HR 146. (78%) Pace : 07:25 / mile.
    Waited till lunch time for run as rain and snowed all morning. Decided to go out in it anyway, and it stopped 2 miles in.
    This run was very tough physically after yesterday’s outing. Not easy mentally either. At 11 miles wanted to stop, but that was 9 miles from home, which was no good. Legs, hips ankles ached but slogged on.
    No major climbs today, just wanted to cover the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Back to back 20 milers in 2:28?! There lies madness! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Abhainn wrote: »
    Sat – 20.3 miles in 2:28:50. HR 147. (78%). Pace : 07:21 / mile.
    Biting cold to start. Loads of ice underfoot at times so that was difficult.
    Only one major climb as “R” roads hills full of ice.
    Last 3 miles were tough. Think last weeks race still in my legs or else it’s the tough terrain

Sun - 20 miles in 2:28:15 even. HR 146. (78%) Pace : 07:25 / mile.
    Waited till lunch time for run as rain and snowed all morning. Decided to go out in it anyway, and it stopped 2 miles in.
    This run was very tough physically after yesterday’s outing. Not easy mentally either. At 11 miles wanted to stop, but that was 9 miles from home, which was no good. Legs, hips ankles ached but slogged on.
    No major climbs today, just wanted to cover the distance.

Savage pace Abhainn..Keep it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff Abhainn fantastic pace for back to back 20's. like you said they are nearly as tough mentally as physically but they will really stand to you.
    excellent pacing with both runs under sub 5 pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

SUNGOD wrote: »
    great stuff Abhainn fantastic pace for back to back 20's. like you said they are nearly as tough mentally as physically but they will really stand to you.

just wondered , I know for ultra runing you do back to back long runs, Would this have any benifit for marathon training also? Or are there different reasons?

shels4ever wrote: »
    just wondered , I know for ultra runing you do back to back long runs, Would this have any benifit for marathon training also? Or are there different reasons?

hi shels i did back to back 20's for dublin 08 and i found they made me very strong and aided my endurance. during dublin i got stronger from mile 21 and passed an awful lot of people over the last 5 miles with the last mile and a half probabily being my fastest for the entire race.
    now in saying that i still missed out on sub 3 by 4 seconds so maybe if i had done more speed work and less endurance !!!!!! spilt milk and all that

SUNGOD wrote: »

Thanks SUNGOD. Ya pacing for 20 mile ok , need to keep it going for another 19.3 though.
    Sundays 20 miler was tough but I would have taken the way I felt at 10 miles at mile 30 on the day - if you know what I mean. At least I wouldn't be running on my own, and there will be runners around me.

Legs were sore yesterday, I'd say somewhat due to shoes which need replacing. Easy 6 planned at lunch today

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Hi all,
    Just wondering if i could get any advice or replies?
    Ive signed up for the ConnUltra in the midst of my endorphin-filled buzz after the DCM in Oct...
    Then a bad chest infection, xmas and life got in the way so I didnt think i`d be able for it..
    But since jan 1st my training has been going well and while im not up to Abhainn`s distances mine are not that far behind -end of week totals have been like 30,35,48,55,30,58 with a hill session every week and shorter back-to-backs..8/15,10/20, 20/15. I`ll try 18/19 this weekend. Usually at a 8min/mile
    I know I could "fall back" to the full but I was just wondering if this is sufficient training to persevere and not die??
    oh and should the back-to-backs be long/longer or longer/long? :confused:
    Thanks,
    Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

magnet, I would say go for it (I would-but that;'s the kind of thing I do). If you're not suffering on the back to backs, you should be absolutely fine.

Hi Magnet your doing very well. Don't change you mind now. Ultra is your goal

With 6 weeks to go distances are coming along nicely. After this weeks long / long go shorter next week. Following week should then be long / long again, then begins taper.

My original aim for long / long was 40 miles. I've achieved that now so I might just a mile or two beyond that for confidence.
    But you are very close to that also.

Best of luck. Hopfully see you at the pre race briefing.

Thanks guys!
    I`m almost convinced! I`m not sure if its fear or excitement I`m feeling mostly - Ive a pain in both ankles that I`m callin a niggle at the min so we`ll see..
    1 more question..
    If 20/20 was your peak are you not planning a 25 mile training run or 28, 30 or 34 or anything nearer to the 39.3 (like you would do 16, 18, 20, or 22 for a full marathon) or are the back-to-backs meant to do the same job?!?!?

Magnet

• Advertisement

Magnet wrote: »
    Thanks guys!
    I`m almost convinced! I`m not sure if its fear or excitement I`m feeling mostly - Ive a pain in both ankles that I`m callin a niggle at the min so we`ll see..
    1 more question..
    If 20/20 was your peak are you not planning a 25 mile training run or 28, 30 or 34 or anything nearer to the 39.3 (like you would do 16, 18, 20, or 22 for a full marathon) or are the back-to-backs meant to do the same job?!?!?

Magnet

hi magnet i dont think its essential to go over the 40 mile back to back, some do some dont everyone is different.
    like HM said if you can do back to back long runs without being crippled then yes you should be ok , as long as you pace the event correctly of course.
    as Abhainn said he might go over the 20 but that would purely be out of choice and not necessity.
    your doing 18/19 this weekend then a fall back week then try 20/20 and taper sounds good to me.
    best of luck with it

Week ending: 15th Feb

Summary: Good week
    5 runs. Miles 66.2

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 44:20. HR 138 (73%). Pace : 07:24 / mile.
    Just 6 recovery after long efforts at the weekend.

Wed – 8.1 miles in 59:01. HR 141 (75%). Pace 07:17 / mile.
    Steady relaxed run

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 57:13. HR 140 (74%). Pace 07:04 / mile.
    Just upped the pace a little, so easy tempo run

Fri - Rest

Sat – 24 miles in 2:55:50. HR 144. (77%). Pace : 07:19 / mile.
    Well one of those near perfect sessions. Calm ,composed, steady & efficient. Rounded up run to 24 miles. Legs felt strong at finish.
    Could have pushed onwards to 26.2 for a 3:10 finish if there was a few euro on offer;)

Sun - 20 miles in 2:27:43. HR 141. (75%) Pace : 07:23 / mile.
    Took it carefully first half, upper it a bit then. Legs started to hurt at 15 miles but they still turned over effectively. Machine working well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Sat – 24 miles in 2:55:50. HR 144. (77%). Pace : 07:19 / mile.
    Well one of those near perfect sessions. Calm ,composed, steady & efficient. Rounded up run to 24 miles. Legs felt strong at finish.
    Could have pushed onwards to 26.2 for a 3:10 finish if there was a few euro on offer;)

Sun - 20 miles in 2:27:43. HR 141. (75%) Pace : 07:23 / mile.
    Took it carefully first half, upper it a bit then. Legs started to hurt at 15 miles but they still turned over effectively. Machine working well

Great weekend! I can't imagine it, legs sore after my 10/12 combo:o. You must be itching for a sub 3 attempt - I'd say you'd smash it based on Saturdays training run. You'll be well set up for the Ultra. Talking to someone today who's doing it who has yet to go over 10miles in training (although he can do a 2.45 marathon). He's starting to get nervous...

Thanks RF. Ya form is good and with a few speed sessions a sub 3 would be a defo. Yes I am itching alright but lets get this auld ultra out of the way first.

This is not going to be great week for running. I had planned for a tough two weeks for this though.
    The occasion of my sisters wedding on Fri in Galway and the old familiar day after celebrations on Sat. So with my large extended family I will not be able to avoid the sins of the Guinness.

The legs feel ok today after the weekends sessions. I am tempted for a run this evening but think I will bring the dog on an longer than usual walk instead.
    Tues -Thu is 8 ,10, 8 planned.
    Fri hoping to get in a 5 or 9 miler in Galway. Route already planned.
    Sat - No run, beer instead:(
    Sun - No run, travelling. 260 mile round trip:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

This is not going to be great week for running. I had planned for a tough two weeks for this though.
    The occasion of my sisters wedding on Fri in Galway and the old familiar day after celebrations on Sat. So with my large extended family I will not be able to avoid the sins of the Guinness.

The legs feel ok today after the weekends sessions. I am tempted for a run this evening but think I will bring the dog on an longer than usual walk instead.
    Tues -Thu is 8 ,10, 8 planned.
    Fri hoping to get in a 5 or 9 miler in Galway. Route already planned.
    Sat - No run, beer instead:(
    Sun - No run, travelling. 260 mile round trip:eek:

After all the quality runs you have had recently,the break will be good for you.
    It might be frustrating,but,hopefully stand to you in the weeks to come.

Hi
    I did the 20.5/21 back-to-back and didnt get crippled!
    I was very hungry though on the second run...
    My total for last week 66 miles the most ever in a week.
    I`m more convinced of my abilities now for Connemara!!
    So now all ive to do is to practice eating jam sanwiches while running?!?!
    Great running weather lately
    4 1/2 weeks to go bloody hell it`ll go fast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good going Abhainn. 2 days of 'rest' at the weekend will do you more good than harm.

Magnet wrote: »
    Hi
    I did the 20.5/21 back-to-back and didnt get crippled!
    I was very hungry though on the second run...
    My total for last week 66 miles the most ever in a week.
    I`m more convinced of my abilities now for Connemara!!
    So now all ive to do is to practice eating jam sanwiches while running?!?!
    Great running weather lately
    4 1/2 weeks to go bloody hell it`ll go fast

Great going Magnet. That good to have that under your belt. Have you a target time set?
    About the jam sandwiches, having read the Dean Karnazes book Ultra marathon Man the opening chapter gives an account of him ordering a pizza , coffee and cola (I think) in the middle of the night on his mobile as he attempted to run a 199 relay race on his own in the US. He got it delivered and ate all as he ran thru the night!.
    Surely you can manage you jam sandwiches and me my jaffa cakes on our little run:D

Yes only 4 weeks away!

• Advertisement

Hi Abhainn
    I`m "planning" 5-5 1/2 hours but really just to finish, its hard to predict a time but I did 3.23 in Dublin so we`ll see..
    How about yourself? 4-4 1/2hrs?
    I`m gonna try 18/24 this weekend.
    Maybe jam for the 18 and jaffa cakes for the 24..
    And a cadburys creme egg Sunday eve...:rolleyes:
    Enjoy the carb-loading at the wedding!!

Magnet

Advertisement