Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amended Tax Credits?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭

I applied for taxback on my rent for last year, my understanding was that if it was for the previous year they would send you a cheque. All i have received is a certificate of amended tax credits, giving me about 400 euros tax credit.

However, the tax office messed up and forgot to add in my PAYE tax credits. I received an email from Payroll informing me that ALL of this weeks payrun and MOST of the next payrun (2 weeks time) will be taken off my wages to pay the tax 'owed'.

I have received confirmation from Revenue that my amended tax credits were incorrect, but is it legal for a workplace to take all your wages like that rather than taking it in stages? I know we're not supposed to ask legal advice here, but has this happened to anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Hiya,
    just an idea - ask your payroll dept to put you on a week one (they will have to ring the tax office for permission but they usually let you, esp when they know there is an issue). this is a temporary way to process your wages while they are sorting out your tax credits in the tax office. When they have done this they will issue a new cert to your employer, and tax you accordingly. You wont have to pay any big whack it will all be moderate amounts as normal.

Check with payroll anyway, you need your wages this time of year.

Advertisement