Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another TV Licence Question...(Tenant and Landlord in same house)

Options
  • 04-12-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I've done a search but can't seem to find a definate answer. TV licence needs to be paid. I own the house and the TV but have 2 tenants in the house. Am I right in thinking that we must pay a third of the fee each despite the fact that I'm the landlord? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The premises must be licensed, it doesn't matter who pays what to them.

It should really come under the same rules as all bills with regards splitting it, presuming that each tenant is watching tv/has a tv in their room.

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Info here,
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

According to the info, you are required to have a tv license for each tv set in the building.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

koth wrote: »
    Info here,

According to the info, you are required to have a tv license for each tv set in the building.

That is for each separate living space. E.g. if it's a house converted to flats you need one for each flat. But if the house is just one living area (i.e. normal house) you only need one to cover any number of TV's.
    If I have two television sets in my home do I need licences for them both?

If the equipment capable of receiving a television signal (for example a television set or a personal computer) is held in a household (an apartment, flat or a house), then one television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment. In other words, if you have a television set in your living room and kitchen, one television licence covers both sets.

However, if the building in which the equipment is kept is sub-divided into flats or apartments or other separate living quarters, then a separate television licence must be held for each of these quarters. In other words, an individual licence must be held for each separate flat, apartment or other dwelling.

matrim wrote: »
    That is for each separate living space. E.g. if it's a house converted to flats you need one for each flat. But if the house is just one living area (i.e. normal house) you only need one to cover any number of TV's.
    Misread the info, thanks for the correction.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Ok, only 1 TV in the gaff...the one we all watch. As landlord is it up to me? Or as it is with all the service bills do we split it?

I've found this...
    Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

Still a bit fuzzy cause I (as landlord) still live in the gaff too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Ok, only 1 TV in the gaff...the one we all watch. As landlord is it up to me? Or as it is with all the service bills do we split it?

It's up to you. An Post don't care who pays the bill as long as it gets paid. If you want to split it three ways, you're free to do so (although your tenants might prefer if they had been told when they were moving in). If you want to pay it all yourself, you can do that too.

markpb wrote: »
    It's up to you. An Post don't care who pays the bill as long as it gets paid. If you want to split it three ways, you're free to do so (although your tenants might prefer if they had been told when they were moving in). If you want to pay it all yourself, you can do that too.

I know An Post dont care who pays it. The guys have been in the house for over a year with myself so they didn't have to pay previously for the licence (as they weren't tenants then). I'm just wondering have people been in the same situation as myself? Is it a common thing where there are 3 people living in a house, with one being landlord, do they split the TV licence? As far as I can tell from responses, it's treated much the same as a services bill ie ESB. Just want to make sure before I drop the bombshell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yeah, i'd split it in 3, it's really not that much, especially when you divide it by 3, and then work it out as a monthly cost

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i paid for the licence myself, i wouldnt be that scabby that i would be demanding 30e off my lodgers and it is my telly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

I don't know the answer either but as it's a service you are providing for all of you to use and a licence is required to make it legal, then it seems reasonable to me that the costs should be split all ways.

• Advertisement

i paid for the licence myself, i wouldnt be that scabby that i would be demanding 30e off my lodgers and it is my telly

well done you! licence is €160 moneybags, you can pay mine aswell if ya like

well done you! licence is €160 moneybags, you can pay mine aswell if ya like
    You could pay by direct debit every month, works out at €13 a month.;)

koth wrote: »
    You could pay by direct debit every month, works out at €13 a month.;)

It'll be paid in one go or not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's another service bill like the electricity / heating. If they are shared then so should the tv licence. Normally rented rooms are advertised as being at €xxx + bills so it should be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think you should pay it yourself.

If you are going to pay for the next year are you going to refund them their share if they move out next month?
    Probably sounds stingy on my part but anytime I've shared with an owner, the owner always paid the TV licence.
    After all, you own it and while they may use it for a few hours a days, it's your responsibility. They didn't insist on a TV when they moved in, it was already there

I'm sure somewill disagree, just my opinion :)

micmclo wrote: »

If you are going to pay for the next year are you going to refund them their share if they move out next month?

I hear what your saying...but more than likely its me who will be moving out before either of them in the Spring to move to the states

Probably sounds stingy on my part but anytime I've shared with an owner, the owner always paid the TV licence.
    After all, you own it and while they may use it for a few hours a days, it's your responsibility. They didn't insist on a TV when they moved in, it was already there

I'm sure somewill disagree, just my opinion :)

And I'm sure you'd begrudge them if they didn't let you watch their TV with their license :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh, I've been a lodger in one place where the landlady would complain if I watched "her" TV or used "her" kettle :(
    Headcase, they was only one TV in the house. The OP seems to be a good landlord

But in general I'd expect a landlord to look after this.
    It seems I'm alone in this, that's fine too :)

Oh, I've been a lodger in one place where the landlady would complain if I watched "her" TV or used "her" kettle :(
    Headcase, they was only one TV in the house. The OP seems to be a good landlord

But in general I'd expect a landlord to look after this.
    It seems I'm alone in this, that's fine too :)

tbh, your post was as stingy as your old landlord sounds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'm a tenant in the exact same situation and Myself and the other tenant split everything 3 ways with the landlord, with the exception of washing machine repairs, boiler service etc..... (we even share the cutting of the grass. Its nice to be nice!)

If you get your tenants to split the bin charges 3 ways then the same should apply for the TV license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Landlord should pay it. It's a fixed cost and if the tenants were not there, you would still be paying the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

wyndham wrote: »
    Landlord should pay it. It's a fixed cost and if the tenants were not there, you would still be paying the same amount.

How is it a fixed cost when it doesn't apply if you get rid of the tv.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've found this...

Still a bit fuzzy cause I (as landlord) still live in the gaff too...

Strictly speaking- you are not a landlord, and they are not your tenants. They are living with you "under licence". As the house is legally your Principle Primary Residence (PPR), you have responsibilities associated with the property. I am guessing you are using the rent-a-room scheme? If you charge the 'tenants' for a contribution towards the television licence, or indeed for a contribution towards any other household bills- the gross amount of the income derived from those people is counted towards your limit under the rent-a-room scheme. Meanwhile those people renting the rooms- are entitled to claim rent-relief, despite the fact that they are no legally tenants. Its worth about EUR300 a year to them. They can retrospectively claim this up to 3 years in arrears- so it makes sense to make sure your taxes are in order....... particularly in the current climate!!!

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

wyndham wrote: »

What about the bin charges? Thats a fixed cost. Would you not pay your portion of the bin charges? Same thing as TV license in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

As a landlord owner-occupier, I pay the tv licence. Seeing as I supplied the tv, the licence is my responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

As a landlord owner-occupier, I pay the TV licence. Seeing as I supplied the TV, the licence is my responsibility.

That's 'wrong' as it is the resident that needs to pay the licence fee, not the landlord who provided the TV. (It's nice though)

Check the citizens information website.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That's 'wrong'
    So is dragging up old threads without a good reason. :)

MysticalSoul is talking about their own circumstances and personal opinion, not the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Victor wrote: »

MysticalSoul is talking about their own circumstances and personal opinion, not the law.

Exactly. It is not wrong as a poster above put it, as I am owner-occupier. The consensus, if it were a unit I was renting out fully, is that whoever provides the tv pays, and so I adapt the same approach as owner-occupier.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Victor wrote: »

I wouldn't call december 2008 an old thread. I was looking at TV licence threads from 2003.

Anyway, I posted it because the post before it made it sound like it was a fact. Which it isn't. People searching for info on the web for an answer who don't read the whole thread (like me, and the rest of the world) will hear different stories and get confused and will start another thread on boards.ie about the same subject, which is a waste of time.

You asked for the reason, i've given it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Exactly. It is not wrong as a poster above put it, as I am owner-occupier. The consensus, if it were a unit I was renting out fully, is that whoever provides the tv pays, and so I adapt the same approach as owner-occupier.

It's who ever watches the TV pays not who ever owns it. It is an expense for all the residents and should be split IMHO. It is legally the responsibility of the person who owns the house but that "responsibility" does not mean they have to pay just they are held responsible.

Advertisement