Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland Claming Down on Customers with New Contracts?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I've been on BT Irelands top home broadband package for years now but a couple of weeks ago I moved our telephone services to them as well meaning signing a new contract of the bundle. Suddenly now I find myself punished for exceed their "fair" usage policy. Now I haven't been excessively downloading lately, certainly not compared to other times in the last year.

Does anyone else have experience of BT being more restrictive with people who are tied into a long contract? I find this very disappointing. I don't think I'll ever do business with them again after this contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

BT contracts are the shortest out of any I think. 6 months it was for me. You can also pay a small fee to break it. Fairest I have found.

Of course they will still bill you for months afterwards due to a screwed billing system, but you cant fault their contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

My problem here is that I never had this problem for 5 years but my new account kicked in on the 1st of December and by the 3rd I'd been penalized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Qs wrote: »
    I haven't been excessively downloading lately

How much have you been downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

How have you been penalized?
    3 days seems like an awfully short time to have exceeded the download cap..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Then check the security of your connection at home,maybe someone using your wireless?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Qs wrote: »
    My problem here is that I never had this problem for 5 years but my new account kicked in on the 1st of December and by the 3rd I'd been penalized.

Probably a coincidence. They don't need you in a contract to throttle your connection, they've been doing it to lots of people for months now. They are implementing a 30-day rolling cap on the restriction though, as opposed to the calendar month cap on actual usage, so even though your stats reset on the 1st, it's the last 30 days that count for the throttling.

Advertisement