Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral Shock?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Actually thats not what he said. U will also be in series with the bulb if u touch the live conductor.

Not true.
    I will post the question again giving six options of which order would give u the highest level of shock. Does the highest level of shock always result in the highest level of burns to your body.

Thanks.

1 If some of the insulation was bare on live conductor to light and u touched it.

Medium Shock. High impedance connection to earth through floor, shoes etc.

2 If some of the insulation was bare on the neutral conductor from light and u touched it.

No shock, with properly connected neutral.
    3 If a live conductor before it reached the light was broken and u grabbed a hold of it
    Same as 1. Medium Shock. High impedance connection to earth through carpets etc.
    4 If a live conductor was broken and u grabbed hold of it with one hand and with the other hand u grabbed hold of the other end of conductor going to light ie u would be in series with the light.

Medium to High Shock. Lower impedance connection to earth, but still the bulb in series.
    5 If u grabbed hold of the broken neutral conductor coming from the light.

Medium Shock. High impedance connection to earth through floor, shoes etc. and the impedance of the bulb.
    6 If u grabbed hold of broken neutral with one hand and with the other hand u grabbed hold of the other end of neutral conductor ie u would be in series

Effectively the same as 4. Same current through you.

Note: I've only used the terms high and medium shock in order to compare the current through you in each case (the leathal metric). Any one of these has the potential to kill you - only a few millamps can kill you if it flows through the wrong part of your body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for reply but some replies seem to have a different opinion. Diff level between neutral and live (wheras u say number 4 and number 6 would result in same level shock)

If possible could u rate the level of shock in order from highest to lowest or if exactly equal can u state so.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

I will post the question again giving six options of which order would give u the highest level of shock. Does the highest level of shock always result in the highest level of burns to your body.

Thanks

1 If some of the insulation was bare on live conductor to light and u touched it.
    third

2 If some of the insulation was bare on the neutral conductor from light and u touched it.
    paddy last

3 If a live conductor before it reached the light was broken and u grabbed a hold of it
    second

4 If a live conductor was broken and u grabbed hold of it with one hand and with the other hand u grabbed hold of the other end of conductor going to light ie u would be in series with the light.
    joint first

5 If u grabbed hold of the broken neutral conductor coming from the light.
    fourth

6 If u grabbed hold of broken neutral with one hand and with the other hand u grabbed hold of the other end of neutral conductor ie u would be in series
    joint first

Thanks in advance for replies and reason why. Assume its 10 amp fuse 100 watt light bulb and u are standing on timber floors.

Michael Collins post is generally right - I have differentiated between "touching" and "grabbing hold of"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Michael Collins post is generally right - I have differentiated between "touching" and "grabbing hold of"
    Yes, if you were to differentiate I would agree 100% with enmac. Michael has done what I did and treated all situations as if you had just touched the conductor (rather than "grabbing" in some cases), so they are both right really.

JOHNPT what you can do is download free simulation software called "LT Spice" or "SwCAD III" (the smae thing just a different name) and tet all of this yourself. It is a very powerfull package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Ok thanks very much for all the replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement