Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect example of Rip-off Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Why does this not surprise me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Can I be the spanner and point out that in Peats the product is not promoted wheras on Richer sounds it is, they point out that you save £80 over the regular price of £149.95. €210 in Peats is £182 so allowing for the differences in Vat etc it's cheaper but not a rip off.

You are not directly comparing like for like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only thing I'll say is

A) I didn't spot that its Sterling prices .ie my arse! (still we may have parity soon)

B) Many items in richer sounds are subject to large % money off so that 80 quid is not that unusual.

mike65 wrote: »
    The only thing I'll say is

A) I didn't spot that its Sterling prices .ie my arse! (still we may have parity soon)

B) Many items in richer sounds are subject to large % money off so that 80 quid is not that unusual.

regardless of discount its still a promotion against a non promoted product. thats similar to saying that because Tesco are selling something cheaper than Dunnes this week then Dunnes are ripping us off.

At the end of the day its still cheaper,no question, working backwards from the full sell price the northern product pre VAT is cheaper by £15 thats the real rip off. Sadly we cannot only guess if this is mark up or base cost thats different, i think its mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I feel we have some Peats lovers (or staff) in here.

Regardless of promotion, Richer Sounds is always way cheaper. They will beat any online price, as long as the supplier delivers to NI.

On the other hand Peats will double :eek: any price

Peats are a rip-off. They were always a rip-off.

Bought my AV receiver from Richer. Saved a load. They didn't have the speakers I wanted; but Peats did at €429. They cost £213 in UK. But I ended up getting them from Harvey Normal in Blanch for €319

Do peats not own a few of the Sony Centres in Dublin City centre. More rip-offs merchants IMHO.

Boo

• Advertisement

boopolo wrote: »
    I feel we have some Peats lovers (or staff) in here.

Regardless of promotion, Richer Sounds is always way cheaper. They will beat any online price, as long as the supplier delivers to NI.

On the other hand Peats will double :eek: any price

Peats are a rip-off. They were always a rip-off.

Bought my AV receiver from Richer. Saved a load. They didn't have the speakers I wanted; but Peats did at €429. They cost £213 in UK. But I ended up getting them from Harvey Normal in Blanch for €319

Do peats not own a few of the Sony Centres in Dublin City centre. More rip-offs merchants IMHO.

Boo
    if your referring to me I ask that you remove that statement straight away. I actually hate peats with a passion they are over priced and overate themselves. Sony Centres are a rip off anyways no matter who owns them.

They wouldnt know one end of an electronics item to the next and their customer service is non existant.

My issue was simply that the OP was not comparing like for like value in their original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Calm down gerry. I retract the word 'lover' & 'staff'

I disagree with your statement that the OP was not comparing like for like. They are both selling the same item; the Teac T-H300 so it is like or like.

Richer Sounds are saying that the recomended price is €199 but they are selling it for €89 a saving of some €110. You can call this a sale, promotion or whatever you like, but they have this on many items even items that have just come to the market.

As you can see from this cached page they were selling it for £69 some 7 weeks ago, plenty of time for competition to reduce theirs.

Boo

boopolo wrote: »
    Calm down gerry. I retract the word 'lover' & 'staff'

I disagree with your statement that the OP was not comparing like for like. They are both selling the same item; the Teac T-H300 so it is like or like.

Richer Sounds are saying that the recomended price is €199 but they are selling it for €89 a saving of some €110. You can call this a sale, promotion or whatever you like, but they have this on many items even items that have just come to the market.

As you can see from this cached page they were selling it for £69 some 7 weeks ago, plenty of time for competition to reduce theirsBoo

ur telling me to calm down?calm down is it?? ok ha

i think its an agree to disagree situation. I have no doubt, its obvious, that the product is cheaper and I wonder if the OP brought it to Peats attention? Their move would show some light if they were bothered.

If the Irish retailer reduced its price on an item that made it cheaper than the northern equivalent(some chance) would anyone shout about that?

the only reason it would be cheaper would be due to a promotion/special offer and everyone would react in that way and that its not the long term price reduction we south Irish would love to see.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42P560

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?objectid=930&mode=0&productid=804&results=true&keys=42pfl5603d%20&c=1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Where's the Richersounds shop in Dublin? Oh that's right, there isn't one. Mike it's hardly a fair comparison.

Can I just point out while Peats are often more expensive it is rarely due to excessive margin but due to the prices that suppliers charge.

Now I can't speak with 100% knowledge when it comes to hifi stuff because that isn't my area. I am responsible for buying a good chunk of the computer products for the peats shops. Many boards users have pointed out that over the last while our prices have been getting better. Do you know why that is? Because since it's been my responsibility to buy the products in, I've been buying less and less from irish suppliers because they are consistently overpriced. I don't mean a little bit but ALOT. I simply can't buy from them anymore as their prices are astronomical compared to suppliers outside the country.

So before you lash out, just have a little think about it as it may not be as simple as 'massive margins' being sought by the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

At the end of the day there are huge savings to be made in NI, I don't give a sh!te if its like for like or costs are higher, what matters to me is the savings in my pocket.

I saw a 52 inch TV in Powercity cost €2399 same on cost €470 less in Currys without any discounts. Never will I buy electricals in the south again, the same applies for bascially all my weekly shopping.

Thanks Mike65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i thaught the best example of rip off ireland was with o2 and their Iphone,alot of people complained that the uk got a better deal,but yet people still bought the phone here,its simple,just dont buy the phone!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

wow a bit hot headed here! is Hi-fi really worth it?

Just as an aside - that 'promotion' on the Teac TH300 has been running for months (since the 11th February actually) however to put it in context - I do feel that it is a slightly extreme example and to be fair to Peats we did buy way, way way too many of them! (hence the price..)

Keep the faith,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There all a ripoff, I saw the same in Hong Kong for cheaper, and I hear the Hong Kong shop is going to have a .ie address next week :rolleyes:

Look at this memory card down the bottom
    16GB Sandisk Extreme III 200x CompactFlash Memory card
    €136 from an Irish store including delivery
    http://www.shop4memory.com/products/compactflash-card.asp

same model is £220.16 incl delivery from the UK.
    http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0006662729.1229337018@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadefmegkfedcflgceggdhhmdfnm.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=906226&category_oid=-32507

Thats almost twice the price. Does anybody know a UK equivalent of boards so I can warn them all how they are being ripped off in the UK...

have to be careful with asian goods,like on ebay some of them are actually good fakes,i.e compact flash cards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Ireland isn't a rip off, if you're sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Ireland isn't a rip off, if you're sensible.

...by doing your shopping outside the country?

The greed has killed the golden goose. If I want to buy something small, the first thing that comes to mind is eBay or Dealextreme, etc. If I want to buy something larger, the first thought is to get it from the North, or over the internet from GB, or from the U.S.

I'm sure the odd thing is just as cheap here in Ireland, but shopping locally doesn't occur to me any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

animaal wrote: »
    ...by doing your shopping outside the country?

The greed has killed the golden goose. If I want to buy something small, the first thing that comes to mind is eBay or Dealextreme, etc. If I want to buy something larger, the first thought is to get it from the North, or over the internet from GB, or from the U.S.

I'm sure the odd thing is just as cheap here in Ireland, but shopping locally doesn't occur to me any more.

I agree but even in towns around the country people don't shop around yet they still bitch about prices.

Go have a look at the bargain alert sub forum, people are making threads about stuff like "Buy this DVD for €20 and get a free packet of Maltesers"
    WTF like?

funny,years ago they said writeing an email wound be the end of postman sending you letters in the post,now we need them more than ever thanks to our internet shopping habbits

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

animaal wrote: »
    The greed has killed the golden goose.

Never seems to come into the equation when people are talking about their pay packets though.How many people would take pay cuts for lower prices?

Advertisement