Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP NEEDED

Options
  • 04-12-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hey guys ,

Not sure if this is the right forum , so i might try two ;)

The question i have basically i have opened notepad and edited it ok and save it , now i have saved the file as GMAPSUPP.UNL , but when i check the properties of this file it sis showing up as a text document (.txt) i dont want the .txt here at all :( ,

please help.

Im using vista if that make much difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

With notepad, if you want to save an extension name, you need to put the name in quotes when the save dialogue box appears "myfile.ext"

Alternatively, (i'm not too familiar with vista), you would change your folders view options untick the box "hide extensions of known file types". In xp/2k this can be found in widows explorer, view, tools, folder options, view tab.

When the file extensions are showing, you can now right click the relevant file and select rename. You can now set the file extension as appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It will be GMAPSUPP.UNL.TXT, so you need to view the full filename and remove the .txt bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Also found in control panel -> folder options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

nialo wrote: »
    Also found in control panel -> folder options.

thats the one!

Vista by default doesn't show file extensions to stop noobs changing system files by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Got it sorted thanks guys :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It will be GMAPSUPP.UNL.TXT, so you need to view the full filename and remove the .txt bit.

I know that much Tom :D , The path was hidden ;)

Advertisement