Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices not correct

Options
  • 04-12-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I went into a shop in town to buy a beef burrito. It was marked as 6.50 but I was subsequently charged 7.25.

I was told the price on the sign was wrong and was being updated.

I went back in a number of week later and the prices were still wrong.
    Again I pointed this out to them, but was given same answer.

Who should I complain to about this?

Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Them? If not the consumers association

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Hi,
    I went into a shop in town to buy a beef burrito. It was marked as 6.50 but I was subsequently charged 7.25.

I was told the price on the sign was wrong and was being updated.

I went back in a number of week later and the prices were still wrong.
    Again I pointed this out to them, but was given same answer.

Who should I complain to about this?

Alex

You need to complain to the National Consumer Agency - this is the body that brings companies to court over misleading pricing under the Consumer Protection Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Companies/retailers are allowed to have errors, as long as they are genuine. If they are repeat offenders, and making no effort to keep prices up to date, then you can make a complaint. Read here for more information with regard to pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I always thought that if they have a price on display then they have to sell it to you at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I always thought that if they have a price on display then they have to sell it to you at that price.

Nope. Goods on display constitute an 'invitation to treat'; blame Boots for that ;)

Google or wiki it and it will explain all.

EDIT: Here you go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

AnonoBoy wrote: »

No. The price tag on an item displayed in a shop is an invitation-to-treat and not an offer of sale (the acceptance of which constitutes a contract).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Same here. You can try putting the money on the counter and just leaving the shop.

Or in a very loud voice say "these prices have not been updated since I was here 3 weeks ago. You LIE!" Then refuse to pay the new price and ask for the manager*

*this only works during lunchtime and you're sober.

Or put in your post: Please be aware that XXX shop on XXX street are currently updating their prices. Prices advertised are incorrect and will be amended sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The NCA's policy is not to investigate individual complaints about incorrect pricing.

The NCA's policy is not to investigate individual complaints about incorrect pricing.

I would imagine they need a certain amount of complaints before they'll send out an inspector alright... all the more reason for the OP to complain, really. If people don't bring these things to their attention, they're never going to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

According to this Blog article, the NCA is pretty much useless anyway. Less than 1% of complaints are brought to prosecution.

Os, to answer the question "who do I complain to about this?", nobody, because nothing will be done anyway.

You could also report it to the Consumer Association of Ireland.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    According to this Blog article, the NCA is pretty much useless anyway. Less than 1% of complaints are brought to prosecution.

Os, to answer the question "who do I complain to about this?", nobody, because nothing will be done anyway.

You could also report it to the Consumer Association of Ireland.

Yes, they're essentially useless. Yes, you could complain to the CAI instead. But the NCA are the people who prosecute dodgy retailers and enforce the laws. The CAI is not a government agency, it's independent. The NCA actually has the power to do something about it - however unlikely that is to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

shellyboo wrote: »
    I would imagine they need a certain amount of complaints before they'll send out an inspector alright... all the more reason for the OP to complain, really. If people don't bring these things to their attention, they're never going to know.

No, they send out a questionnaire to ask them about their procedures.

Then they may or may not call by to check prices in a so called 'price blitz' or 'risk based compliance check'.

The ODCA used to follow up every single complaint.

The NCA don't actually need to prosecute. They can issue on-the-spot fines.

If the NCA budget is short a few euros for the year in these hard pressed times, they can just send inspectors out and collect the money off the people that you receive complaints about. Every mispriced item they find, the NCA can collect a few hundred euros. It should be easy.

I know which I'd do if I had a choice between sending out surveys and levying on-the-spot fines.

Hopefully the merged NCA/TCA will take better advantage of this moneyspinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

No, they send out a questionnaire to ask them about their procedures.

Then they may or may not call by to check prices in a so called 'price blitz' or 'risk based compliance check'.

The ODCA used to follow up every single complaint.

The NCA don't actually need to prosecute. They can issue on-the-spot fines.

If the NCA budget is short a few euros for the year in these hard pressed times, they can just send inspectors out and collect the money off the people that you receive complaints about. Every mispriced item they find, the NCA can collect a few hundred euros. It should be easy.

I know which I'd do if I had a choice between sending out surveys and levying on-the-spot fines.

Hopefully the merged NCA/TCA will take better advantage of this moneyspinner.
    Loads of shops in Dublin get their prices wrong. They get away with it because people don't complain. It's also a sneaky way of introducing price increases.

Advertisement