Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly Gimmicks

• 04-12-2008 1:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭

It was mentioned in the SVR thread but I think it would be fun to start a thread about the horrible horrible gimmicks that graced our sceens (most of which in the mid 90's).

I'll start things off with the legend that is Mantaur

07.jpg

What were your favourite (or least favourite) gimmicks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

jbbadd.jpg
    Johnny B. Badd

Has Marc Mero ever had a decent gimmick?

01montoya.jpg
    Aldo Montoya

Just look at him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

kwang, a short fat guy from puerto rico who couldn't do karate :D his debut at the 1994 royal rumble was funny when he tried to trade off with a 6'10 kevin nash and still look serious doing it

kwang.jpg

Giant Gonzales; you sign up a 7'6 400lb wrestler and instead of trying to learn him a few moves or make him an enforcer you stick a freaking muscle suit on him with hair on it and put him ina program with one of the worst workers of the time (undertaker) :eek: booked correctly gonzales could have made money out of the fact that he was totally unique (people on regis were amazed when they saw him coming out), he was booked as a joke

wm9match2.jpg

the yeti, poor ron reis, gonzales didn't have it half as bad as this guy. What is it with turning 7ft+ ex basketball centers into a joke??, vince would do it again with giant silva a few years later

Reisyeti.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Aldo Montoya

Just look at him!

Just inCredible, isn;t he? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I knew I recognised that goofy mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Just google 'The Shockmaster'. He used to be Tugboat and Hurricane but the Shockmaster gimmick is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Watch his first intro.

• Advertisement

I'd like to say gimmick's views on music fans are pretty silly, but i'd probably earn a banning for it. So i'll just keep trucking with these two tools.

Dudes.jpg

Shane Douglas and Johnny Ace, The Dynamic Dudes. Neither of which could actually use a skateboard, but were required to for their gimmick.

Much like Ortons motorcycle injury

Also, sorry for the small image, the only one i could find.
    s_9f5fa3ee86dc8a9416b8502583e690be.jpg

Here comes the Ax and here comes... Mr Hole In One, Barry Darsow?!

Folks, no wonder WCW went out of f*cking business!

Ed leslie, everything after brutus, that says it all when you consider brutus a half decent gimmick :(

WWF had bad gimmicks in the early/mid 1990s but WCW took the cake

Arachnaman, brad armstrong seriously pissed someone off backstage
    Arachnaman27.jpg

Ding Dongs,
    dingdongs.jpg

OZ, complete with worst entrance ever, "Welcome to OZ"
    OZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Kwang was Savio Vega aka Juan Rivera, and tbh I think he worst work was still to come with Los Boricuas. Popeye outfits anyone?

The Yeti was too bad to mention, sums up a lot of WCW really, possibly the only thing worse than this was Robocop. I thought Reis redeemed himself a little bit in Raven's Flock though

Two of the worst I can think of are Battle Cat aka Dean R. Peters and Freddy Joe Floyd aka Tracey Smothers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Shockmaster
    shockmaster.gif
    Need I say more.

Bertha Faye
    Bertha_Faye_WWF_Womens.jpg

I never really got her, although he skits with Harvey Whippleman were pretty funny.

Bastion Booger
    BastionBooger.jpg

Why?

Robocop
    robocop-792844bmp.jpg

:D

Bastion Booger
    BastionBooger.jpg

Why?
    friar0.jpg

Wouldn't be the last time he'd be seen there either, Friar Ferguson anyone?

The hardcore title was a pretty bad gimmick in WWE too, especially it's 24/7 rule. It wasn't funny, it wasn't entertaining, it was plain dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    The hardcore title was a pretty bad gimmick in WWE too

Just reminded me....

03.jpg

The hardcore title was a pretty bad gimmick in WWE too, especially it's 24/7 rule. It wasn't funny, it wasn't entertaining, it was plain dumb.

yeah not great, there was some funny moments like molly holly winning but overall it was meh, a good match, much forgotten is when rvd unified the intercontinental and hardcore the night after summerslam 2002 (against tommy dreamer)

seanstipich.jpg

Hide your tape recorders! It's PLANET STASIAK!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

'Heavy Metal' Van Hammer

hammer2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

That crazy mid-90's period which saw some of "legit" sport stars enter the world of the WWF.

The Goon
    He was kicked out of all the ice hockey leagues and now he's in the WWF to reak havoc and cause mischief. He came to the ring with a hockey stick , some gloves and a jersey.

TheGoon.jpg

Thurman "Sparky" Plugg
    You all know this lovable guy, well he used to be a NASCAR driver didn't cha know ? Highlight of his career was winning the tag belts with the 1-2-3 Kid as Royal Rumble 95. Of course that didn't last long and it was years and years before he garnered any interest.

00plugg.jpg

Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz
    Em, this is Steve Lombardi of Brooklyn Brawler fame as a heel baseball player. He didn't last too long.

182919552_small.jpg

Jean Pierre Lafitte
    Em, well he was a pirate and he stole Bret Hart's jacket. He wrestled for WWF for a good few years but this gimmick didn't last more than 6months I don't think.

untitled_6.jpg

Man Mountain Rock

The WWF were down with the kids cause kids loved guitars and long haired rocker type dudes and ty dye. Didn't they ?

05.jpg

For pre-1994 I think I'd have to give a big mention to :
    • Red Rooster
    • Gobbledy gooker
    • Shockmaster
    • Warlord
    • Babarian
    • Zeus

friar0.jpg

I actually thought the 24/7 rule with Crash at the fore front was entertaining, the one were he was in the launderette was class. I usually get a chuckle out of most back stage tomfoolery, like this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CinKeBnJ3Is&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IAf9CZBoPw4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just inCredible, isn;t he? ;)

:o
    I'd like to say gimmick's views on music fans are pretty silly, but i'd probably earn a banning for it.

Meh is all I say to that.

Just Joe, for me, has to go down as one of the all time crappy gimmicks. he heard backstage gossip and told other wrestlers on it, but put his own spin on it. What the bloody hell.

The Finks heel turn in 2002 was a bit crap also.

Eugene was a fairly retarded ( :o ) gimmick also. Funny for the first few weeks, then got oh so boring.

Man Mountain Rock

The WWF were down with the kids cause kids loved guitars and long haired rocker type dudes and ty dye. Didn't they ?

To be fair, that gimmick started in WCW as Maxx Payne.
    For pre-1994 I think I'd have to give a big mention to :
    • Red Rooster
    • Gobbledy gooker
    • Shockmaster
    • Warlord
    • Babarian
    • Zeus

And you forgot this dude?!
    14.jpg

Now i don't need many reasons to strongly dislike Australians (an altercation that took place in Bruxelles on Harry St last year, don't ask), but if i needed one, this would be it!

Sorry, this needs to be posted again. No wonder WCW kicked their arse in the ratings when WWF were churning this out. Granted it wasn't the only thing they did but I think the how you handle your undercard guys can say a fair bit about the overall company.

Max Moon v Shawn Michaels from the first raw. What the hell was Max Moon!!!!

04.jpg
    Waylon Mercy - another character Vince and his team copied from films. This time it was Cape Fear's Bobby De Niro. I was never too excited about this guy although he had a ten year career (including 2 at WWF) prior to this stint. He tagged with Undertaker as the "Skyscrapers" in WCW for a while.

Poor poor poor Barry Windham.
    The Stalker was just ****. It wasn't even silly, it was just crap.

04.jpg

Farooq Asade Ron Simmons has a futuristic gladiator was just bizarre. Even more bizarre was having Sunny manage him for about a week.

Kama , the supreme fighting machine was eh, I dont know. too early ? too late ? crap ? did anyone like it ? Slightly better than Papa Shangoooooh......

Freddie Joe Floyd was indeed pretty bad, can't even find a picture of him.

Phantasio - some wierd magician character.

The Hardcore belt was a crap gimmick. Crap because it was not funny. Gerald Brisco versus Pat Patterson in an evening gowm match is not funny :mad:
    I liked the first dozen or so matches at the time. In hindsight they're a bit crap and ECW lite if you will.

Calm down with yer ten inclusions per post Alan! ;)
    Leave something for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

How could anyone forget the well thought out longevity of Xanta Claus - I believe he was billed as hailing from the South Pole and was managed by Ted DiBiase.

His stay was so short I don't even know if photos are easy to get, all I remember is a TV taping where he struggled to get out of his santa jacket before the match.

On top of that, Yerac, that was none other than Balls Mahoney pre credibility. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

gimmick wrote: »
    Just Joe, for me, has to go down as one of the all time crappy gimmicks. he heard backstage gossip and told other wrestlers on it, but put his own spin on it. What the bloody hell.

I would have posted a picture but I couldn't find a good one. He was hillariously bad. Walking up to T&A to tell them LoDown had been slagging them off is the sort of $hite I had to sit through on Heat on Channel 4 in 2000 because I didnt have Sky until 2001 and had no other wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

0c1400b78a21d8a70c6d81dc5869e82e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

rossie1977 wrote: »
    OZ.jpg

definately Oz..didn't he used to be accompanied by a monkey who used to p*ss & sh*t all over the place?

On a side note if you're interested in bad gimmicks then you should pick up "Wrestlecrap- The Very worst of professional wrestling". Very funny book which details tonnes of bad gimmicks down through the years.

Calm down with yer ten inclusions per post Alan! ;)
    Leave something for the rest of us.

I can't help it ! I've sooo many **** gimmicks and what not from 1994-1997 :(

I would have posted a picture but I couldn't find a good one. He was hillariously bad. Walking up to T&A to tell them LoDown had been slagging them off is the sort of $hite I had to sit through on Heat on Channel 4 in 2000 because I didnt have Sky until 2001 and had no other wrestling.

I don't think he lasted too long. I remember meeting Joe in Tallaght at the IWW in 2002. I had no idea who he was , then he said them two words "just joe". I felt sorry for him immediately. I think he'd only one PPV appearance which was to get beaten up by Austin at Unforgiven 2000

12.jpeg
    Waylon Mercy - another character Vince and his team copied from films. This time it was Cape Fear's Bobby De Niro. I was never too excited about this guy although he had a ten year career (including 2 at WWF) prior to this stint. He tagged with Undertaker as the "Skyscrapers" in WCW for a while.

dan spivey aka waylon mercy was a decent big man, he had been around for years before that (was in the battle royale at WM2 e.g.) that match you posted with nash in 1995 was his last ever he retired after that with injury, given time that gimmick could have gotten over

he is still making headlines these days but for different reasons :Dhttp://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default.asp?/Online/qdisp/bn=07045320

And you forgot this dude?!
    14.jpg

I rememeber him well, about 6 weeks of Paul Hogan style vigettes, then his first big tv match, he lost to Butch Reed. Money well spent Vince.

Never mind Animotion SR, how much did Rolf Harris get for use of the theme tune ? :)

dan spivey aka waylon mercy was a decent big man, he had been around for years before that (was in the battle royale at WM2 e.g.) that match you posted with nash in 1995 was his last ever he retired after that with injury, given time that gimmick could have gotten over

he is still making headlines these days but for different reasons :Dhttp://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default.asp?/Online/qdisp/bn=07045320

Wasn't he one half of the US Express with Mike Rotondo in 1986? He subbed for Windham when he went back to NWA.

• Advertisement

Wasn't he one half of the US Express with Mike Rotondo in 1986? He subbed for Windham when he went back to NWA.

Yeah, he was "Golden Boy" Danny Spivey back then, i remember him. Quite a transformation to the Max Cady rip off gimmick.

"Real American" was originally meant for the US Express i believe.

yeah that was him, i liked his "dangerous" gimmick in wcw and uwf

D-FENS wrote: »

"Real American" was originally meant for the US Express i believe.

It wasn't just meant for them, it WAS theirs. Hogan was using Eye Of The Tiger for his entrance theme. If you can get your hands on the first Saturday Nights Main Events, those are the documented evidence.

It wasn't just meant for them, it WAS theirs. Hogan was using Eye Of The Tiger for his entrance theme. If you can get your hands on the first Saturday Nights Main Events, those are the documented evidence.

First that, then the Patriot/Kurt Angle theme, and just recently Jack Swagger using Jamie Noble's old music, what is it with these American Hero gimmicks, they're all theme thieves!

First that, then the Patriot/Kurt Angle theme, and just recently Jack Swagger using Jamie Noble's old music, what is it with these American Hero gimmicks, they're all theme thieves!

There's been a few of them over the past two decades.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan's 90 theme was a speeded up version of Big John Studds 89 theme.

Jake Roberts' theme was actually used on a Hogan workout promo at the beginning of 88 before Jake had it.

Several Japanese wrestlers have used the Orient Express theme tune.

It's been happening for donkeys.

marias theme was meant for stacy keibler but she left before they could use it

• Advertisement

What about Kelly Kellys original "exhibitionist" gimmick. That was just awful.

marias theme was meant for stacy keibler but she left before they could use it

I think she did actually use it for about 2 weeks before she left. I could be wrong there though.

Yes terrible, i could only watch those segments about 10 times each, 12 tops...

i liked it :D

i liked it :D

Me three, although i did need to keep a box of kleenex and a bar of soap beside me, but the less said about those segments, the better ;)

• Advertisement

There's been a few of them over the past two decades.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan's 90 theme was a speeded up version of Big John Studds 89 theme.

Jake Roberts' theme was actually used on a Hogan workout promo at the beginning of 88 before Jake had it.

Several Japanese wrestlers have used the Orient Express theme tune.

It's been happening for donkeys.

Tiger Ali Singh / The Sultan as well, and i seem to remember the Iron Shiek using it for the gimmick battle royal at WM in '01

2 from mid 90's WcW:

Jimmy Graffiti-Would come out with bits of paint all over him so people would think he was tagging a few walls before he came to the ring.

Road Block-A big guy that would come out with a road block barricade.

Awful!!

2 from mid 90's WcW:

Jimmy Graffiti-Would come out with bits of paint all over him so people would think he was tagging a few walls before he came to the ring.

Road Block-A big guy that would come out with a road block barricade.

Awful!!

Someone is still watching that Nitro 97 set that I am too ;)
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Tiger Ali Singh / The Sultan as well, and i seem to remember the Iron Shiek using it for the gimmick battle royal at WM in '01

Lo down were also saddled with that theme tune too, due to association with Singh.

Lo down were also saddled with that theme tune too, due to association with Singh.

Yeah thought they might have but was'nt sure.
    Although let's not go down the road of Chaz Warrington gimmicks, from flying nun to wife beater, Beaver Cleavage has done it all!

To be fair, he was acquitted of all charges of wife beating.
    Sadly, that "wife" in question died 4 years ago due to breast cancer. She was only 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Really enjoying this thread.
    :D

On a side note to this, taking it off topic a little.
    We should really thank orestes and Vince for making PW fun again. The iron fist was needed to come out quite some time ago to stamp out the muppetry. :)

So again, cheers folks.

Not saying anything against the new mods, but that is a bit of a dis service to Fozzy no?

Not saying anything against the new mods, but that is a bit of a dis service to Fozzy no?

Not at all, Fozzy was a great mod. But he wasn't the heaviest of handed, especially in the last couple of months. The last two months before Fozzy stepped down the forum really went out of control. To his credit, he was snowed under with college as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement