Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly Gimmicks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

rossie1977 wrote: »
    OZ, complete with worst entrance ever, "Welcome to OZ"
    OZ.jpg

^^reminds me of SOS.

in recent time Mordecai sucked pretty bad, so much so infact that i dont think they ever even got to feud him vs Taker which was surely the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The gimmick that ruined both Perry Saturn and Ravens WWF careers.

2388663419_efa6c5134b.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Raven ruined his own WWE career by being a small fish in a big pond and not being able to get himself over to over a year prior to that. With the exception of ECW, Raven wasn't worth sh*t anywhere. Only because Heyman saw something nobody else could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The gimmick that ruined both Perry Saturn and Ravens WWF careers.

2388663419_efa6c5134b.jpg?v=0

I think this had somethng to do with the moppy thing...

And these threads do win :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gerry81

Max Moon v Shawn Michaels from the first raw. What the hell was Max Moon!!!!

max moon was in fact later to be known as Konnan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Does anyone remember during one of the early ECW's they had Macho Libre? Awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

the Repo Man.
    repoman.jpg
    Cant remember is he was the Viking 1st then the Beserker or vice Versa but he was **** with a finisher of chucking his opponent out of the ring
    200px-Berzerker.jpg
    "Fake Superstars"
    taker_taker.jpg
    image001.jpg
    Duke " the dupster ". Yes he's a binman
    04.jpg
    Isaac Yankem, a evil dentist
    kane-dds2.jpg
    the big bossmans nemisis " Nailz"
    15.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Anyone remember this guy?

:DWWE'S first one-legged superstar

Gerry81 wrote: »
    max moon was in fact later to be known as Konnan

Sorry Gerry, you're wrong there. Not the 93 Max Moon. That was Paul Diamond of Bad Company in AWA aka Kato from Orient Express. In fact it was widely known for the Royal Rumble that year that he and Tatanka had numbers quite far apart because Chavis' wife was having an affair with Diamond and they literally wanted to tear each others head off during that period of time.

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Sorry Gerry, you're wrong there. Not the 93 Max Moon. That was Paul Diamond of Bad Company in AWA aka Kato from Orient Express. In fact it was widely known for the Royal Rumble that year that he and Tatanka had numbers quite far apart because Chavis' wife was having an affair with Diamond and they literally wanted to tear each others head off during that period of time.

god damn it, missed it by a month, taken from wiki : Konnan's last appearance as Max Moon is presumed to be on December 12, 1992 in Los Angeles when he pinned Repo Man. Max Moon's next appearance at a WWF show was against Shawn Michaels in the first ever Monday Night Raw episode on January 11, 1993, then presumably played by Paul Diamond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

04.jpg
    Waylon Mercy - another character Vince and his team copied from films. This time it was Cape Fear's Bobby De Niro. I was never too excited about this guy although he had a ten year career (including 2 at WWF) prior to this stint. He tagged with Undertaker as the "Skyscrapers" in WCW for a while.

I liked the Waylon Mercy character as a kid. I don't think he was gonna be a main eventer or anything but he was a good at coming across at being a creep and a character like that would get over today I think. Unfortunately he got injured apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Haha, anyone remember Salvatore Sincere. Think he might have had a RAW match or two? Big tall bloke who was abolsutely rubbish.

OZ, complete with worst entrance ever, "Welcome to OZ"
    OZ.jpg

his vinny vegas gimmick was'nt much better,was kinda like diesel version 1.0. actually saw him compete as vinny vegas in the point on paddys day 93.

god damn it, missed it by a month, taken from wiki : Konnan's last appearance as Max Moon is presumed to be on December 12, 1992 in Los Angeles when he pinned Repo Man.

Yeah, Konnan as Max Moon wasn't a long an memorable stay at all, the difference was noticable as Diamond has somewhat of a height difference to Konnan if i recall correctly.

his vinny vegas gimmick was'nt much better,was kinda like diesel version 1.0. actually saw him compete as vinny vegas in the point on paddys day 93.

Vinnie Vegas as a character was funny though. WCW bad as it was were able to use Nash's best asset for years before WWE did, and that was his comedic attitude. Nash is one funny motherf*cker.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Haha, anyone remember Salvatore Sincere. Think he might have had a RAW match or two? Big tall bloke who was abolsutely rubbish.

He was around for a good bit longer afterwards, just wrestling under his real name, Tom Brandi, replacing the pink gear for trunks with the Italian flag on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Vinnie Vegas as a character was funny though. WCW bad as it was were able to use Nash's best asset for years before WWE did, and that was his comedic attitude. Nash is one funny motherf*cker.

yeah nash was funny as vinnie vegas, the character was a vast improvement on OZ

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

yeah nash was funny as vinnie vegas, the character was a vast improvement on OZ

Vinster = Ratings :D

gimmick wrote: »

He can shoot too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

come to think of it, HHH's original gimmick was awful. A rich snob

tn_hunterhearsthelmsley.jpg:eek:

• Advertisement

i liked HHH first WWF gimmick and he went on a really long winning streak after making his debut (whats new :o), the blueblood was an american version of his last WCW gimmick the french snob Jean-Paul Lévesque

HHH today should watch video of his 1995 debut and try to get back to that size, which would give him a ton more mobility in the ring

let us not forget david arquette as, well, david arquette

the big shows debut in wcw as the giant being billed as andre the giants son which as far as I remember was conveniently forgotten about after about a month.

renegade the ultimate warrior clone (as far as I remember there was another one as well but I can't remember what he was called)

let us not forget david arquette as, well, david arquette

no lets try to forget that and anyone mentioning it deserves a week ban :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

IRS anyone? Or was it just me?

Gobbledy Gooker was pretty terrible. I feel sorry for Hector Guerrero.

What about the chicken suit guy that used to show up at Kane matches?

I don't know, compared to some of the other silly gimmicks in 1995, Hunter's wasn't that bad and he could wrestle a good match which was a plus.

atom Adam Bomb , now that was ridiculous.

04.jpg14.jpg

The Executioner was daft. Showed up at IYH 11 for the buired alive match, few more interferences on RAW , then again at the Survivor Series, then an "Armageddon" match with Taker on the december PPV and then he was out of there. He was Terry Gordy, a member of the Fabulous Freebird, had a great career that (along with his life) was nearly over after an overdose left him in a coma. His son wrestles on Smackdown as Jesse

08.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was watching something on WWE 24/7 a while ago with the worst gimmicks and characters. The Shockmaster was a laugh, he came out in one segment with his mask slipping off his face and fell through a part of the wall (Dusty Rhodes said someone had nailed a 2x4 across and he didn't know about it. How they were able to carry on keeping straight faces is beyond me! :D

The Genius was rubbish too.

genius.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Ha, his original gimmick turned into his real life.

And they say hogan has it bad. :rolleyes:

Also, just in case anyone wants to make their own one:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Pro-Wrestling-Gimmick

HHH today should watch video of his 1995 debut and try to get back to that size, which would give him a ton more mobility in the ring

No chance. Gotta be big, gotta have muscles, gotta be big. You don't get anywhere unless you're big. gotta be big. This is the circus after all and the bigger the better. Gotta be big . Ooooh yeah!
    Ruu wrote: »
    I was watching something on WWE 24/7 a while ago with the worst gimmicks and characters. The Shockmaster was a laugh, he came out in one segment with his mask slipping off his face and fell through a part of the wall (Dusty Rhodes said someone had nailed a 2x4 across and he didn't know about it. How they were able to carry on keeping straight faces is beyond me! :D

I think you can hear Ric Flair laughing . I forget who it was, might've been Flair, but he pointed out that there was a 2x4 on the floor that he was going to trip over.

goldust3vt2.jpg

goldust3vt2.jpg

Oh my god, how did this NOT come up? This should have been first!

• Advertisement

Oh my god, how did this NOT come up? This should have been first!

I didn't forget it, I just had to get all them cartoony gimmicks out of my ****stem first

He had some rubbish gimmick in WCW when Russo was on telly, it involved a black coat and silver face paint I think . For the record I loved the first 6months of the heel Goldust character. That backlot brawl with Piper was a bit vicious, he took a few nasty shots - punch to the face, knee to the balls.

He had some rubbish gimmick in WCW when Russo was on telly, it involved a black coat and silver face paint I think .

Seven

Reinvented six years later and called Black Reign in TNA :)

I'm pretty impressed with that entrance! I dont think ive ever seen as much thought in a wcw than that!

I'm pretty impressed with that entrance! I dont think ive ever seen as much thought in a wcw than that!

It's very easy to take pot shots at WCW in hindsight but I think some of stuff people have said is a bit unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

That entrance had a great presence to it.

I dont think ive ever seen as much thought in a wcw than that!

You ain't seen much WCW then. WCW had pyro and big entrances about two years before WWE did. WWE took a load of WCW's production ideas to the next level, but if you think big video walls and pyro were WWE's creation, think again, my friend. :)

You ain't seen much WCW then. WCW had pyro and big entrances about two years before WWE did. WWE took a load of WCW's production ideas to the next level, but if you think big video walls and pyro were WWE's creation, think again, my friend. :)

Wonder why they never made 'taker ''float'' to the ring.

WCW Nitro September ish 1995 :

WWF RAW Intro same period:

WWF RAW is WAR 1997:

I think it's fairly obvious who was copying off who there. And that's just the opening title sequence.

• Advertisement

They did everything else! Either that or they could get the hoverboards from the Back To The Future production crews ;)

Eh , they did didn't they ? :confused: WrestleMania XX ?? He floated to the ring amid some dry ice on the floor

Eh , they did ? WrestleMania XX ?? He floated to the ring amid some dry ice on the floor

I dont think he floated did he? he just walked slow didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Back on topic please guys? This is one of the better threads we've had in a while, let's not mess it up

orestes wrote: »
    Back on topic please guys? This is one of the better threads we've had in a while, let's not mess it up

SIR, YES SIR!!!
    johnsons.jpg

TNA's abortion in 2002, the Johnsons, they had two guys dressed as Penises, named Richard and Rod. Yes, Dick and Rod Johnson.

Terrible sh*t, and i think that might have been before Russo too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

A wrestling afterthought

06.jpg

Well he did get paid alot of money!

am-306x149.jpg

American Males pre THE Dicks times (theres another one)

booty2-306x131.jpg

Ed Leslie as Booty man, wtf?

• Advertisement

Oh jesus, That 70s guy, the schtick that cost him his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I don't know where this came from or what it was supposed to be.

militia-306x286.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

glacier-306x152.jpg

Has Glacier been mentioned yet?

roadblock-306x168.jpg

Roadblock :p

The Wall(later Malice), who I can't find an image of in his shirt and tie

EdK wrote: »

Hah, look at what's on his wikipedia page :
    Post-wrestling
    retired from professional wrestling, Theis has made a name for himself on the website YouTube, where he initially posted videos of his artwork and poetry.[1] Theis is also doing live shows on BlogTV and Stickam. On his show he takes calls and communicates with various viewers, usually resulting in intermediate rants. Phil has deleted all of his internet accounts (youtube, myspace, blog tv, stickam, etc)due to fear of losing everything to Vince K. McMahon for using WWE trademarks and copyrights. He has failed at a comeback to wrestling and lost any and all steam he had going for him, due to being a buttmunch.

Mmmm, nom nom nom, Vinny Mac buttmunching nom nom

I don't know where this came from or what it was supposed to be.

militia-306x286.jpg

Possibly from New Zealand? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement