Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly Gimmicks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

EdK wrote: »
    Harsh?

But fair! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

"Make a Difference" Fatu

Fatu_in_1995.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

The forum is nearly more active during the wee hours than it is during the day, enough reminiscing for one day though, have a good night all!

"Make a Difference" Fatu

Fatu_in_1995.jpg

And enough colours to make a television scream power down into submission!
    But that's alright, because he did it... for The Rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Classical music Star/Wrestler, The Maestro

pg3d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

A few I can't find pics for and probably a good thing too!
    • Naked Mideon - Does exactly what it says on the fanny bag.
    • Bluedust - Blue Meany in some Goldust angle or something. can't remember, too crap .
    • Skinner - I can't remember what he was, some sort of swamp thing.
    • Cloudy/Kloudy/Kloudi - Manager of the bodydonnas after Sunny turned on them and sided with the Smoking Gunns
    • Justin Hawk Bradshaw - JBL as a cowboy
    • Eli and Jakub Blu - A sort of cowboy style gimmick, managed by the same fella that did Bradshaw - Uncle Zebekiah
    • The Oddities - Awful.
    • Rockabilly - Bad Aass Billy Gunn as a country music singing heel. The "real" Double J was similarly crap and their IYH 14 match bored me to tears.
    • Babyface Doink and Dink.

And The Undertaker has had some crap additions to his gimmick. Survivor Series 96 saw him decend from the ceiling in a batman S&M style costume. Early 99 saw him as some sort of quasi satan worshiper. The American Bad Ass was crap and the introduction at Judgement Day 2000 didn't really make any sense - "He is here" followed by a Kid Rock song and Taker on a bike. I think they screwed up the timing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Skinner the alligator man, a Steve Erwin of wrestling type character. I seen a match with him v Owen Hart for Wrestlemania 8 recently.

[*]Naked Mideon - Does exactly what it says on the fanny bag.

A feat Regal would then repeat six years later at No Mercy!
    [*]Bluedust - Blue Meany in some Goldust angle or something. can't remember, too crap .

Documented for Shame at St Valentines Day Massacre, another reason why that PPV was utter dirt. Hey Russo, you listening?
    [*]Skinner - I can't remember what he was, some sort of swamp thing.
    Steve Keirn, one half of The Fabulous Ones and current WWE road agent, Skinner was an Alligator Hunter, he used to bring an Alligator claw to the ring. Thankfully that wretched gimmick lasted about nine months before Keirn retired.
    [*]Cloudy/Kloudy/Kloudi - Manager of the bodydonnas after Sunny turned on them and sided with the Smoking Gunns

That was putting it mindly, this yoke, for want of a better term was about 25 stone squashed into a Sunny style Bodydonna outfit. Much like you'd see at an 18th birthday party in Summerhill these days!
    [*]Justin Hawk Bradshaw - JBL as a cowboy
    In 1995, that could have been a lot worse. It was WWE trying to create a modern day Terry Funk, and failing.
    [*]Eli and Jakub Blu - A sort of cowboy style gimmick, managed by the same fella that did Bradshaw - Uncle Zebekiah
    An unfunny play on The Blues Brothers, Jacob and Elwood Blue, Jacob and Eli Blu? Of course, about 18 months afterwards they'd resurface with shaved heads as Skull & 8 Ball.
    [*]Rockabilly - Bad Aass Billy Gunn as a country music singing heel.
    Rockabilly Gunn. The worst part about that was during his debut, was how he kept yelling "i'm a new man!" on his way to the ring, while subseqently getting booed, not because he was a heel, but because he absolutely sucked!
    The "real" Double J was similarly crap and their IYH 14 match bored me to tears.
    That was a story that never really got to develop between Jammes and Jarrett, which resulted in Jarrett jumping ship to WCW (and subsequently being the only guy to jump to that promotion and end up being worse off for it!)
    [*]Babyface Doink and Dink.
    For 1993, they had the right idea with Doink as a heel, playing off Pennywise from Stephen Kings IT. But they screwed it all up by the time that year was out. Shame.

And The Undertaker has had some crap additions to his gimmick. Survivor Series 96 saw him decend from the ceiling in a batman S&M style costume. Early 99 saw him as some sort of quasi satan worshiper. The American Bad Ass was crap and the introduction at Judgement Day 2000 didn't really make any sense - "He is here" followed by a Kid Rock song and Taker on a bike. I think they screwed up the timing as well.

Undertaker *IS* a bad gimmick, sorry but it's just worn out it's welcome about a decade ago! I actually enjoyed his American Badass persona, i just didn't feel the need to ruin what was a great ironman match between Triple H and The Rock that night! But it's not like i'm short of reasons for hating Mark Calaway.

Ruu wrote: »
    Skinner the alligator man, a Steve Erwin of wrestling type character. I seen a match with him v Owen Hart for Wrestlemania 8 recently.

From what i remember, that wasn't originally part of the planned card either. Owen and Neidhart were meant to be part of that 8 man tag against Mountie, Repo Man, and The Nasty Boys. But Neidhart got fired the month beforehand, so Bossman and Virgil were thrown in there instead and Owen got lumped with Skinner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gerry81

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    He wasn't the worst Warrior clone in WCW, Jungle Jim was far worse.
    quote]

ah, jungle jim was the other clone.

lets be honest here, the worst warrior gimmick to appear in wcw was in fact the warrior himself, wtf was that chap talkin about. hogan setting his own face on fire didnt really help matters much either.

• Advertisement

Owen Hart sure saw his fair share of crap gimmicks and characters.

High Energy|New Foundation |Blue Blazer late 1980s
    02.jpg|01.jpg | 98.jpg
    01.jpg

I think he was going to quit wrestling in '93 when Bret persuaded him back to the WWF for one last shot. I can't remember where I heard or read this or even if I did, can anyone confirm ?

The Black Hart and Road Sign gimmick/outfits were kinda crap too. Well they weren't so much gimmicks , more like a change of attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Ya, he wanted to be a fireman but did not get the job after applying for some reason so he went back into wrestling then.

LOL at High Energy. What an horrific tag team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

[QUOTE=gimmick;58153610LOL at High Energy. What an horrific tag team.[/QUOTE]

What always made me laugh about High Energy was the fact that they both had the Anvil to thank for those ridiculous multi - coloured / over sized / check pants they wore, and he wasn’t even in High Energy (He starting wearing them when he was in singles, then both him and Owen wore them in the New Foundation, then Owen and Koko)
    Of course Koko took it to a whole new level with pants up to his nipples that would have made Simon Cowel (Or HBK for that matter) proud

D-FENS wrote: »
    Of course Koko took it to a whole new level with pants up to his nipples that would have made Simon Cowel (Or HBK for that matter) proud

Yeah, but what a hilarious moment that provided at the 1993 Royal Rumble

Crowd: 5...4...3...2...1...BUZZZZZ
    Monsoon: "It's Koko B Ware - One Half Of High Energy!"
    Heenan: "Someone Call A Cab????!!"

I spent the next ten minutes cleaning the mouthful of beer off the wall that got spewed on after hearing that. It still makes me laugh to this day.

Gerry81 wrote: »
    lets be honest here, the worst warrior gimmick to appear in wcw was in fact the warrior himself, wtf was that chap talkin about. hogan setting his own face on fire didnt really help matters much either.

I still maintain Hogan did far worse promos than Warrior did, Wrestlemania IV being one, Wrestlemania VI being another, and then he had the nerve to slag off Warrior on that DVD. Savage used to do coked out promos too. A lot of people were guilty of bizarre mic work.

I still maintain Hogan did far worse promos than Warrior did, Wrestlemania IV being one, Wrestlemania VI being another, and then he had the nerve to slag off Warrior on that DVD. Savage used to do coked out promos too. A lot of people were guilty of bizarre mic work.

Was one of them with Hogan where he was going on about swimming across rough tides with all the hulkamaniacs on his back, then he literally backstroked off camera with Mean Gene proclaiming "Alright, there ya have it folks etc...", madness.

Was one of them with Hogan where he was going on about swimming across rough tides with all the hulkamaniacs on his back, then he literally backstroked off camera with Mean Gene proclaiming "Alright, there ya have it folks etc...", madness.

Yes, that was Wrestlemania IV where he'd save Donald Trump too if he was a Hulkamaniac when Trump Towers come crumbling down, he'll put all them on his back "and dog paddle them all to safety", then backstroking off the camera.

Yes, that was Wrestlemania IV where he'd save Donald Trump too if he was a Hulkamaniac when Trump Towers come crumbling down, he'll put all them on his back "and dog paddle them all to safety", then backstroking off the camera.

Lunacy. He was nuts in the interviews leading up to and on the night of the first Survivor Series as well, kept jumping in front of the camera to pose when the likes of Orndorf or Patera were talking, talk about hogging the lime light. Still amazed Andre and Bam Bam were the last two out there on the night, but I guess without the title on the line it was a way to give Andre a little leg up in the feud without Hogan losing too much face.

Still amazed Andre and Bam Bam were the last two out there on the night, but I guess without the title on the line it was a way to give Andre a little leg up in the feud without Hogan losing too much face.

Too bad Hogan didn't see it that way and chased Andre out of the ring so he could still have his stupid posedown. And people wonder why people of my generation couldn't f*cking stand Hogan by the time 1989 rolled around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Hunter get the shovel, its needed for ECW'S new twit:D

• Advertisement

What the hell? If Alex Wright couldn't get over with this sh*tty gimmick in 1994, what chance does this muppet think he has with it?

wright_y.jpg

WCW Braintrust - "Yaaaa! Ze Dancing German can get us very overrrrrrrr ya!"

Too bad Hogan didn't see it that way and chased Andre out of the ring so he could still have his stupid posedown. And people wonder why people of my generation couldn't f*cking stand Hogan by the time 1989 rolled around?

I remember Jesse's comment after Hogan started the pose down - "Only in Cleveland would do the fans chose the loser"
    His rants about Hogan were class, especially when he used to threaten to come out of retirement to take the belt of him, and Monsoon would be like - well why don't ya then, just shut up and do it!

I remember Jesse's comment after Hogan started the pose down - "Only in Cleveland would do the fans chose the loser"
    His rants about Hogan were class, especially when he used to threaten to come out of retirement to take the belt of him, and Monsoon would be like - well why don't ya then, just shut up and do it!

Real life hatred really does add to commentary. Hogan and Jesse really did not like each other, it was the same initially for Paul Heyman and Jim Ross, which is why their commentary for Wrestlemania X7 is so memorable.

Rjd2 wrote: »

I'm liking Alicia Fox though, reminds me of Kristal Marshall, God i miss her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

What the hell? If Alex Wright couldn't get over with this sh*tty gimmick in 1994, what chance does this muppet think he has with it?

wright_y.jpg

WCW Braintrust - "Yaaaa! Ze Dancing German can get us very overrrrrrrr ya!"

Wasnt he doing a german raver type gimmick, haha that was class

Real life hatred really does add to commentary. Hogan and Jesse really did not like each other, it was the same initially for Paul Heyman and Jim Ross, which is why their commentary for Wrestlemania X7 is so memorable.

What did he say to him ? "Hang in there youngster" or something.

EdK wrote: »
    Wasnt he doing a german raver type gimmick, haha that was class

Yaaaa before he became ze rivethead by ze name of Berlyn ya! The he shaved ze head bald and became ze dancer again ya!

I'm liking Alicia Fox though, reminds me of Kristal Marshall, God i miss her

The Wedding Planner??!

Yaaaa before he became ze rivethead by ze name of Berlyn ya! The he shaved ze head bald and became ze dancer again ya!

How about him and Disco as the Boogie Knights for a bad gimmick...

• Advertisement

What did he say to him ? "Hang in there youngster" or something.

"Hang in there kid, you'll do just fine!"

At least this is funny

How about him and Disco as the Boogie Knights for a bad gimmick...

That was him and Konnan who were the Boogie Knights.
    Himself and Disco were the Dancing Fools.

At least this is funny

For all the wrong reasons though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Wedding Planner??!

Yep alicia broke up Edge's wedding, to be fair in her first interview she does discuss it.

The Wedding Planner??!

Yep, that's her. They did actually acknowledge that on ECW, she said she went to England to get away from all the scandal with Edge etc. and thats where she met this guy, he's an English wrestler, real name Steven Lewington

• Advertisement

Yep alicia broke up Edge's wedding, to be fair in her first interview she does discuss it.

Stopped watching WWE around then so i wouldn't know.

Yep, that's her. They did actually acknowledge that on ECW, she said she went to England to get away from all the scandal with Edge etc. and thats where she met this guy, he's an English wrestler, real name Steven Lewington

Speaking of English Wrestlers and "bad gimmicks", a word on Layla El, if i may.

If i hear one more person mention her "fake British accent", i'll scream. It was her American accent that's fake, she's actually British! :mad:

That was him and Konnan who were the Boogie Knights.
    Himself and Disco were the Dancing Fools.

Disco and Wright were called the Boogie Knights as well at one point

Does "The Missing Link" count as a silly gimmick ? I've a feeling he was more than just a cartoon character but I can't pin point anything I'd have seen. I think a Survivor Series match is all I might've seen.

Disco and Wright were called the Boogie Knights as well at one point

I stand corrected.

• Advertisement

Speaking of English Wrestlers and "bad gimmicks", a word on Layla El, if i may.

If i hear one more person mention her "fake British accent", i'll scream. It was her American accent that's fake, she's actually British! :mad:

She can speak Klingon with a body like that for all i care

(Now there's a bad gimmick idea)

Does "The Missing Link" count as a silly gimmick ? I've a feeling he was more than just a cartoon character but I can't pin point anything I'd have seen. I think a Survivor Series match is all I might've seen.

Don't believe he was in the WWE for any Survivor Series matches :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Currentyl is and always has been the worst most annoyign thing/wrestler ever! the worlds strongest man? largest man? strongest athlete? largest ahtlete? and then tehy get mixed up with the big show the worlds largest athlete? strongest athlete? bigger than khalid?! i dont think they havea clue what to do with him!

Currentyl is and always has been the worst most annoyign thing/wrestler ever! the worlds strongest man? largest man? strongest athlete? largest ahtlete? and then tehy get mixed up with the big show the worlds largest athlete? strongest athlete? bigger than khalid?! i dont think they havea clue what to do with him!

That used to bug me too in WWE around 1989 too when they started billing Dino Bravo as the strongest man in the world, but yet he looked tiny compared to half of the roster at the time. Especially Boss Man, Akeem, Andre and John Studd. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That used to bug me too in WWE around 1989 too when they started billing Dino Bravo as the strongest man in the world, but yet he looked tiny compared to half of the roster at the time. Especially Boss Man, Akeem, Andre and John Studd. :)

I remember seeing Bravo and Warrior doing a test of strenght, think it involved Earthquake sitting on their backs or some such memory of it is a bit fuzzy though

But yeah, Henry is useless, always has been

krudler wrote: »
    I remember seeing Bravo and Warrior doing a test of strenght, think it involved Earthquake sitting on their backs or some such memory of it is a bit fuzzy though

But yeah, Henry is useless, always has been

Yeah you're right, it started off with Jimmy Hart sitting on Bravo's back, and then Bravo picked Tenta out of the crowd and they did the press ups with him on his back. When it was Warriors turn, Tenta put his full weight on him and flattened him.

Incidently, on a related note, Barry Windham had to bail from WWE due to family problems leaving a spot on Bravo's team at the 1989 Survivor Series, so Tenta dons on the Wrestling gear and becomes the Canadian Earthquake, later dropped to Earthquake for Wrestlemania VI to avoid the risk of getting face heat as Mania was in Toronto that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there has been few real "worlds strongest men" in pro-wrestling e.g. Ted Arcidi in WWF (he appeared in battle royale at WM2) and Bill Kazmaier in wcw

mark henry has won numerous lifting tournaments and held the world record in powerlifting so billing him as the worlds strongest man is far more legit than calling steve austin the toughest SOB who walks the earth :pac:

bravo i have never heard anything about him, he was probably just another ken patera

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there has been few real "worlds strongest men" in pro-wrestling e.g. Ted Arcidi in WWF (he appeared in battle royale at WM2) and Bill Kazmaier in wcw

I remember Arcidi, but that was more just a title for the guy, they never went too deep into backgrounds during Arcidi's time in WWE.
    mark henry has won numerous lifting tournaments and held the world record in powerlifting so billing him as the worlds strongest man is far more legit than calling steve austin the toughest SOB who walks the earth :pac:

True, but you could also call him the worlds fattest man, the worlds useless wrestler and that would be as equally be as legit :pac:
    bravo i have never heard anything about him, he was probably just another ken patera

Patera was actually an olympic weightlifter though.
    1988 Royal Rumble, Basically they had Bravo bench press in a 25 minute segment. Not sure how worked or legit it was, they got to the 712lb stage and Ventura helped him with the bar, which was pretty much the gimmick.

Henry's match with Lawler at IYH 10 :( what an abomination. Why Vince why ?
    Well, I know why, something to do with the rub with a "legit" sports athlete and a bit of extra publicity.

Although it did pay off for Kurt Angle.

Henry's match with Lawler at IYH 10 :( what an abomination. Why Vince why ?
    Well, I know why, something to do with the rub with a "legit" sports athlete and a bit of extra publicity.

Although it did pay off for Kurt Angle.

It was basically Vince trying to cross brand it with the Atlanta Olympics that year, of course Mizark Hizenry didn't win a f*cking thing, too bad Vince didn't wait until AFTER the Olympics before he'd signed him. He then realised he had a talentless tub of lard to pay for ten years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement