Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on upgrade of my car

Options
  • 04-12-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a 2004 mk4 golf 1.4 petrol (old shape) with 43000 miles and full vw service with it. I am trading this in against a 2007 Toyota corrolla 1.4 Diesel hatchback with 27000 miles (dont know in klm) from the toyota dealers. They want €9 250 with the golf anyone think this is a good deal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

As ever with a trade in that is not a great deal. Would you be willing to try and sell your car privately? No easy but if so, for similar money you could be in a 2008 diesel, almost new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

jhud wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a 2004 mk4 golf 1.4 petrol (old shape) with 43000 miles and full vw service with it. I am trading this in against a 2007 Toyota corrolla 1.4 Diesel hatchback with 27000 miles (dont know in klm) from the toyota dealers. They want €9 250 with the golf anyone think this is a good deal.

It doesn't seem like a great deal to be honest. If you sold your golf privately, you would get a good price for it. And then you could buy with cash and get a better deal

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I have looked at carzone and the golf is €8 950 dealer because its old shape so i dont know if it would be better of a deal. The car i am looking at is up for €17950 and would make my car around €8500 going by them wanting €9250.

I dont really want to sell private as it is burning oil like most of them do but more then the usual and the main dealer said its normal and the research on net says so too its within manufactures limits so dont want someone coming back to me on that issue. Also the timing belt will need to be replaced on it too soon other then that no issues with car. So as you can see dont want them trying to have a come back with it and also it would be very hard to sell this quick as the diesel corolla' are hard to come by in such good condiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,116 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have looked at carzone and the golf is €8 950 dealer because its old shape so i dont know if i would that better of a deal. The car i am looking at is up for €17950 and would make my car around €8500 going by them wanting €9250.

I dont really want to sell private as it is burning oil like most of them do but more then the usual and the main dealer said its normal and the research on net says so too its within manufactures limits so dont want someone coming back to me on that issue. Also the timing belt will need to be replaced on it too soon other then that no issues with car. So as you can see dont want them trying to have a come back with it and also it would be very hard to sell this quick as the diesel corolla' are hard to come by in such good condiction.

you seem to have made your mind up? why are you asking?

Is it a good car and what to look out for and if anyone would know of a main dealer giving good trade price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it a good car and what to look out for and if anyone would know of a main dealer giving good trade price.

No dealer is giving good trade-in prices at the moment. The second hand car market is on it's knees and dealers are full of second stock that they cannot sell. Also add that people are looking to trade up to 09 cars from the end of the month and it spells disaster for dealers. Some dealers are refusing to take trade-ins at all or giving very low trade-in prices to discourage customers from trading in their old cars.

BTW is it the new or old model as I think €17950 is expensive if it is the old model?

Yes its the old model it is a strata with the body kit and alloys and with the deal now for christmas i would get a cheque back for €620. I was looking at a basic corolla 2006 hatchback with no body kit no alloys and 43k miles and the were looking at €7900 with my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like a UK or NI import if it's clocked in miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Denis Mahoney in Dublin have two 2007 new model 1.4 diesel saloons for 17,950. Both have lower mileage than the one you're looking at. I've no idea what they'd offer you on a trade-in and it's a trek from Clare but I think that your deal is not especially special. Does it have to be a toyota?

There are some Ford Focus 1.6 diesels in Galway for 16,750, according to Carzone.ie.....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/200849191107047/advert

colm_mcm wrote: »
    sounds like a UK or NI import if it's clocked in miles.
    Car is in k mls i am just used to using the miles because i always like to compare to my milage.

• Advertisement

245 wrote: »
    Denis Mahoney in Dublin have two 2007 new model 1.4 diesel saloons for 17,950. Both have lower mileage than the one you're looking at. I've no idea what they'd offer you on a trade-in and it's a trek from Clare but I think that your deal is not especially special. Does it have to be a toyota?

There are some Ford Focus 1.6 diesels in Galway for 16,750, according to Carzone.ie.....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/200849191107047/advert

I drove a ford 1.6 diesel 2006 and i didnt like the drive it was rough. Yet i was getting it for €6000 with my own but only 6 months warranty and this was at a ford dealer. Toyota i drove and liked but the saloon seems to have some problems as a relation has one from new with numerious problems. i might take a look at the Auris diesel if i can see one. On the company you named its got Auris 2007 diesel for same price maybe worth a look. Dont know how bad or good they have been so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I drove a ford 1.6 diesel 2006 and i didnt like the drive it was rough. Yet i was getting it for €6000 with my own but only 6 months warranty and this was at a ford dealer. Toyota i drove and liked but the saloon seems to have some problems as a relation has one from new with numerious problems. i might take a look at the Auris diesel if i can see one. On the company you named its got Auris 2007 diesel for same price maybe worth a look. Dont know how bad or good they have been so far.

They seems to have lots of little faults. Have a look through this:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=110

Bear in mind that by their nature such sites tend to focus on problems but there does seem to be a recurring theme of squeaks and rattles.

Advertisement