Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

get mechanic to check out 2nd hand car

Options
  • 04-12-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Ive read & heard its best to get a mechanic to check out a 2nd hand car before you buy it. and im looking at a 2003 lexus with 100k miles on it but its going for 11k.

Whats the process of finding a mechanic to do that ?
    The sales guy said that he will get another 2 years NCT put on to it - but i doubt that the NCT will cover everything that will reassure me that its a good buy.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The AA do inspections. I think they charge about €90, although I can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ART6 wrote: »

i thought it was that kinda price too.
    just checked on the aa site
    http://www.aaireland.ie/vehicle-inspections/default.asp
    starting at 262e !... hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i do it for 45 quid... never got one complaint but got pleanty of reccomendations *blows his own horn... *

but yeah price is somewhat neg. but im busy thanks to the celtic resession ( cowboys are now on the dole... Wohoo... ... ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 65,457 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

S.I.R wrote: »
    i do it for 45 quid

Are you a qualified mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

samhail wrote: »
    i thought it was that kinda price too.
    just checked on the aa site
    starting at 262e !... hmmm.

Holy Jasus!!! At the way things are going here you'll soon be able to buy a car for that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I used Bernard from http://www.carcheckireland.com/default.php

Its €150 but he'll travel anywhere and check out quite alot, definitely worth it for peace of mind and as a bargaining chip.

Probably find someone for cheaper but its very handy and you can be guaranteed he'll be impartial etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ART6 wrote: »

Add another 300 quid onto that!

Darragh29 wrote: »

Thanks for even quoting the URL i posted :) - good way to get your post count up.
    B00MSTICK wrote: »
    I used Bernard from http://www.carcheckireland.com/default.php

Its €150 but he'll travel anywhere and check out quite alot, definitely worth it for peace of mind and as a bargaining chip.

Probably find someone for cheaper but its very handy and you can be guaranteed he'll be impartial etc.

Ill check them out - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

samhail wrote: »
    Thanks for even quoting the URL i posted :) - good way to get your post count up.

Ill check them out - thanks

I didn't see your post. Please keep it civil, you're the one on here asking for advice, not me.

Thanks for your input.
    i was being civil - if u wanna take it further please take it private.

• Advertisement

What do people think about if the dealer is a SIMI dealer ? if he says that he did a full service on it and got a 6month warranty ?

SIMI means nothing. 6 months is eng/gearbox I presume?

If you're spending 11k, I think 150 quid is small amount to pay to make sure its in good shape. He'll probably find something that'll help you knock at least a few quid off the price.

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    SIMI means nothing...

nothing ?
    he did sound very confident with it (i know he is a 2nd hand car sales man :))

By nothing I mean a noname backstreet dealer coud be completely honest and reputable whereas a SIMI approved dealer could be dodgy. Just because its SIMI dealer it doesn't mean the cars are better quality etc.

Its up to you really, I know people who have bought cars and havent a clue about them and they're still going fine and others within a few months needed x,y and z fixed/replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

S.I.R wrote: »
    i do it for 45 quid... never got one complaint but got pleanty of reccomendations *blows his own horn... *

but yeah price is somewhat neg. but im busy thanks to the celtic resession ( cowboys are now on the dole... Wohoo... ... ... )

Price is negotiable? From €45? How about a Lucky Bag and a handful of marbles? How old are you SIR? 16/17?

You're in no position to be offering to check out cars for anyone. You've no formal education in mechanics - You're not even an apprentice. You're a day dreamer and s***-spouter who's obviously mental about cars, but that doesn't in any way qualify you to offer pre-purchase inspections.

You're a Walter Mitty, like so many others who think reading about something on the internet qualifies them to dispense valid advice.

The OP would be better served asking an older family member to check the car out for him/her, or more practically, paying a professional to do so. You don't need to fork out €300 (even if it's only 2.5ish % of the car value), but you should make sure if you're paying someone that they're actually up to delivering on the task.

The safest way of doing this is to get a mechanic to come and have a look, preferably one who knows the quirks of the brand and model. I'd suggest seeing if you can get a Toyota/Lexus mechanic to come and have a look as a Nixer, or just cough up and pay the AA to do all the running around for you.

Look at it this way, a list of professionally detected faults in your hand gives you a solid bargaining tool with which to reduce the asking price on the car even further....possibly recouping the cost of the assessment in the end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Price is negotiable? From €45? How about a Lucky Bag and a handful of marbles? How old are you SIR? 16/17?

You're in no position to be offering to check out cars for anyone. You've no formal education in mechanics - You're not even an apprentice. You're a day dreamer and s***-spouter who's obviously mental about cars, but that doesn't in any way qualify you to offer pre-purchase inspections.

You're a Walter Mitty, like so many others who think reading about something on the internet qualifies them to dispense valid advice.

The OP would be better served asking an older family member to check the car out for him/her, or more practically, paying a professional to do so. You don't need to fork out €300 (even if it's only 2.5ish % of the car value), but you should make sure if you're paying someone that they're actually up to delivering on the task.

The safest way of doing this is to get a mechanic to come and have a look, preferably one who knows the quirks of the brand and model. I'd suggest seeing if you can get a Toyota/Lexus mechanic to come and have a look as a Nixer, or just cough up and pay the AA to do all the running around for you.

Look at it this way, a list of professionally detected faults in your hand gives you a solid bargaining tool with which to reduce the asking price on the car even further....possibly recouping the cost of the assessment in the end up.
    BUMP
    :D

Advertisement