Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband woes

Options
  • 04-12-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering maybe if you guys could help me out or give me some thoughts opinions advise.

I have the silver router that i originally got with Eircom.

Eircom seemed to always be 'down' in my house so i switched to Imag!ne but kept the eircom router (and configured it manually to imagine settings and was working fine for the past 8 mobths or so)

On random occassion the Internet light on the router would go Red but a quick off/on would fix that.

Now for the past week it wont connect to the net at all, i have the storng signal on my laptop but it is not actually connected to the net.

The box has the WIRELESS light as Green but the DSL light keeps flashing green (assum it is trying to connect to the net) but it just keeps flashin and the internet light just stays off (not green not red)

Imagine tech support just keep fobbin me off telling me theyll look into it and ring me back, but they dont.

Anyone know what the prob might be?? ... i reckon it could be a bad phone line into the house

I am actually thinking of cancelling imagine and getting one of thos web routers that just plug in and are completley wirless (no phone lines, just plug inot wall and away you go)

Are they any good?

What the name of them does anyone know, they used to have ads on tellie but i forgot?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering maybe if you guys could help me out or give me some thoughts opinions advise.

I have the silver router that i originally got with Eircom.

Eircom seemed to always be 'down' in my house so i switched to Imag!ne but kept the eircom router (and configured it manually to imagine settings and was working fine for the past 8 mobths or so)

On random occassion the Internet light on the router would go Red but a quick off/on would fix that.

Now for the past week it wont connect to the net at all, i have the storng signal on my laptop but it is not actually connected to the net.

The box has the WIRELESS light as Green but the DSL light keeps flashing green (assum it is trying to connect to the net) but it just keeps flashin and the internet light just stays off (not green not red)

Imagine tech support just keep fobbin me off telling me theyll look into it and ring me back, but they dont.

Anyone know what the prob might be?? ... i reckon it could be a bad phone line into the house

I am actually thinking of cancelling imagine and getting one of thos web routers that just plug in and are completley wirless (no phone lines, just plug inot wall and away you go)

Are they any good?

What the name of them does anyone know, they used to have ads on tellie but i forgot?

Sounds like the router has lost ADSL sync. Log into the router and check the line stats it reports.

And if you're thinking of Clearwire, just do a search for that name and you'll see the common opinion of them very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Do you have a separate DSL modem, or is the DSL modem built into the router?

In regards to the wireless services, I am from the states, so would not know any providers, but have had experience with a few companies that offer this service.

The speeds were tolerable for browsing and even watching online videos or downloading small files, but there was some latency. This meant that they were not that great for playing online games.

The other downside is that mother nature can affect your signal, so a heavy storm anywhere between your house and the wireless station might kill/disrupt your signal.

Personally, I was using it because I lived in the country and had no other alternative, but I imagine there is much better coverage in the city. Still, I wouldn't really recommend it unless you can't get a traditional hardwire service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Thanks for your reply guys!
    Spear wrote: »
    Sounds like the router has lost ADSL sync. Log into the router and check the line stats it reports.

And if you're thinking of Clearwire, just do a search for that name and you'll see the common opinion of them very quickly.

Spear, any idea how I can do that??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply guys!

Spear, any idea how I can do that??

If you've not altered the settings, the router should be at 192.168.1.254 with the default Eircom password, the details of which they would have provided.

Advertisement