Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying dog food

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is Zooplus.ie the only place in Ireland that Orejen can be bought? I'm thinking of changing my dog over to it fter it gets through this bag of Trio Bloom Gem.

I don't want to start him on the Orjen too early as he's only about 20 weeks and it advises that it may have a bit too much protein for puppies.

On another note, I signed up for the free sample of Husse and haven't received it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Zooplus.ie the only place in Ireland that Orejen can be bought? I'm thinking of changing my dog over to it fter it gets through this bag of Trio Bloom Gem.

I don't want to start him on the Orjen too early as he's only about 20 weeks and it advises that it may have a bit too much protein for puppies.

On another note, I signed up for the free sample of Husse and haven't received it yet.
    Brenda's Pets supplies Orijen too. http://www.brendaspets.ie Its in Meath but she does deliver.

She has spoken to me before about the protien/puppy issue but right now I cant remember much about it. Might be worth emailing her and asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Beth wrote: »
    Brenda's Pets supplies Orijen too. http://www.brendaspets.ie Its in Meath but she does deliver.

She has spoken to me before about the protien/puppy issue but right now I cant remember much about it. Might be worth emailing her and asking?

Says she commutes from Kells to her store and Kells isn't far from me so have dropped her an email. She seems to be a good bit cheaper than Zooplus for the Orijen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Does anyone feed their dogs Massbrook with good results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Lemlin wrote: »
    Says she commutes from Kells to her store and Kells isn't far from me so have dropped her an email. She seems to be a good bit cheaper than Zooplus for the Orijen.
    Its always worth asking :D
    cloudy day wrote: »
    Does anyone feed their dogs Massbrook with good results ?
    Have never heard of that food, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

has anyone used Madra for there dogs? The dog doesnt seem keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have an 11 month old neutered Cocker Spaniel.
    Currently feeding him on RC Medium Junior, and he loves it. The odd time he gets soft number 2s, but I think this is more down to him chewing on anything he finds along the road while walking, or bits of bracnhes in the garden.

Will be moving him on to an adult food when he finishes off his 15kg bag of Junior. I'm thinking of RC Medium adult, but am willing to move brands, once its easy to get a hold of.

I assume I should get a smaller bag to start with, just to make sure he's ok with it.

Can anyone recommend a good food that suits a Cocker?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Had the bi weekly back garden cleansing yesterday and the difference the Orijen has made is immense. Grossout warning don't read on if you don't wanna hear about dog doosies...

but the task of clearing the garden of the 2 dogs poos was so much easier, the bag i ended up with was about half the size of the usual and it was all much easier to pick up with the shovel. More solid etc. k thats gross enough for one day but it made a horrible task that little bit less horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

With regards to RC food they do specialized food with breeds of dogs, would it be better if i went for the food thats for German shepherds or just the standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I have an 11 month old neutered Cocker Spaniel.
    Currently feeding him on RC Medium Junior, and he loves it. The odd time he gets soft number 2s, but I think this is more down to him chewing on anything he finds along the road while walking, or bits of bracnhes in the garden.

Will be moving him on to an adult food when he finishes off his 15kg bag of Junior. I'm thinking of RC Medium adult, but am willing to move brands, once its easy to get a hold of.

I assume I should get a smaller bag to start with, just to make sure he's ok with it.

Can anyone recommend a good food that suits a Cocker?

RC do a breed specific food for Cocker Spaniels too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    With regards to RC food they do specialized food with breeds of dogs, would it be better if i went for the food thats for German shepherds or just the standard?

We have a lab and she's on RC Labrador food, she was on the regular RC and I can't see any major difference in her. She started off on Eukanuba which wasn't great for her, she blossomed on the RC and then we just went with the breed specific one when it came in and she's been on it ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

We have a lab and she's on RC Labrador food, she was on the regular RC and I can't see any major difference in her. She started off on Eukanuba which wasn't great for her, she blossomed on the RC and then we just went with the breed specific one when it came in and she's been on it ever since.

thanks, i'll give the RC a go so.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dog-fan

I found a list of all the stockists in Ireland:

http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/stockists.html#eire

also check out :

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

have a look at what they say about royal cannin!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dog-fan

I just called Orijen to ask about the high protein level in the puppy food specificaly the large breed, and she told me in detail how the high protein is okay because its comming from a meat source not a grain source and thus the dogs digestive system deals with it differently, i have not reitterated that as well as she did but give them a shout and ask them yourselves if your still not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Equipet always seem to have an offer on Royal Canin. This month they have €5 off small bags and just says fantastic reductions on all junior bags. We got an 8.5kg Mini Junior bag for €40 last month was around €47 everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Skillie wrote: »
    anyone know anything about Hussie.ie or Wagg?

both seem to make all the right noises with regards to content etc. Wagg is available in atlantic homecare for 20 euro for a 15kg bag which is phenominal value for what they claim is a cottage industry no additives type food. father had his collie on it (and everything else he feeds her!!) and seemed decent.

I feed my dogs Wagg and they love it. I've tried them on all types of dried food, but they've never been as excited about it as they are about Wagg. I had it recommended to me by some other dog owners I know, and it's popular on a UK forum I use. I feed them the worker mix, with extra protein as my dogs are very active (Toby is on normal Wagg at the moment though, because he's on limited exercise because of his broken leg). I usually put left over meat or some sardines in their food, because I hate the thought of them eating the exact same food forever and like to add a little variety. It's actually a lot cheaper in the UK. It's £8.99 for the 17kg bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nautical star

just wanted to put up a quick note, reminding everyone that zooplus.ie is not an irish company it all comes from germany!!! try to support your local businesses never be afraid to ask a shop to match an oline price......
    the shop i deal with in Arklow (Rockys) always matches online prices for me.... and if he doesnt have a certain food hell always get it in for me, id rather give the small shops my money....

Advertisement