Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Deal with 3V Vouchers?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

At the moment I shop online with my credit card. I have a high credit limit on that card. I looked at 3V Vouchers, but they seem like a pain because

(a) you have to prepay
    (b) each voucher is for a set amount (e.g. €20, €50 etc)
    (c) vouchers can expire so you can lose the money
    (d) biggest voucher is €350 so you can't buy an item online for more than that

Am I right in listing those problems? Am I better then getting a second credit card with a lower limit on it for online shopping (even though I'd have to pay €30 per year government stamp duty)?

What ya think?:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Mods please move to " Online Buying & Auctions"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Why do you want a second credit card at all?
    3V cards are for people who don't trust themselves with credit cards, or don't use them often enough to warrant the government levy.

If you're worried about fraud, then fear not, your CC company should offer protection. Alternatively, buy from reputable sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

You right in saying the max u can put on the card in one transaction is 350, however, and im open for correction on this you can combine two vouchers together for a small fee and this can be all done online by yourself from their website. Personally i think they are great :D very handy to have and its just like topping up your phone, go into a shop and it gets swiped and you get a voucher receipt similar to a phone credit one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you have a credit card with a high limit, why not just use that? I don't see why you need a second one for online buying, it'll just cost you more. 3V is a waste of money if you have a credit card already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

preferred 3v myself,no more getting a shock of opening the bill in the post to see how much i owe after a month spending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

So keep an eye on your online banking and pay it off as soon as it arrives.
    Great feeling to get a mastercard statement the same day as the parents, but mine has "Balace Due: 0.00" on it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

thank god dont have to pay the €40 stamp duty anymore either lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lila.bilura

3V Vouchers are so much safer- I've had so many problems with credit cards- I'm young, so I can't get a decent interest rate- and wound up spending €500 in fees once. And then so many people get their card details stolen, and it always says in the advertisements how you're totally protected, and that's not true at all...I guess it just depends. Btu I always go with 3V.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I thought these were pretty much redundant now that all banks issue visa debit cards as standard... or is there still some using laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

3V was ok in the begining but was replace with an O2 card which has now been replaced with a Visa Debit care and now I notice this thread is 4 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement