Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New drivers act uk using an irish licence

Options
  • 04-12-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi there i was wondering if i am still under the new drivers act in the uk. I passed my test in the uk in december 06 and am now on an irish licence. Does the 6 points in 2 years rule still affect me or am i on 12 points like everyone else in Ireland. Also if i was to drive in the uk or ni on my irish licence in an irish car and got any points would they be put on my uk licence record or my irish one? Many thanks

Comments

You can get 12 points like everyone else in Ireland. Your Irish license has no connection to the 6 points in 2 years system used in the UK.
    On the topic of points, when you changed to the Irish license you would have given up your UK license so you can no longer get points in the UK/NI as you cannot get points on your Irish license outside the country.

Do you mind if I ask why you changed to an Irish license you would have been better to keep your UK one if you are now living in Ireland. I lived in the UK for a year and changed my Irish license to a UK one just before moving home to avoid points here*.

EDIT: *Not that I go around looking for points but handy to have with so many stupid speed limits and the shooting fish in a barrel attitude of the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

Cos i was stopped one night on my uk licence and this woman guard gave me some rucking about using a uk licence here and that the licence number was too long i had done nothing wrong it was just a routine checkpoint that was in early 2007 so i exchanged it i moved bk to the uk during 2007 and exchanged the irish one bk for a uk one then moved bk here in 2008 and exchanged it bk for my irish one. Just was sick of being stopped as i am young and getting it in the neck about my licence even tho it is just as valid as an irish one. So i cant pick up points in the uk or northern ireland on my irish one? What happens if i was to get points in the uk and they go on my licence record will it still be 6 before i am back on a provisional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

sammy657 wrote: »
    Cos i was stopped one night on my uk licence and this woman guard gave me some rucking about using a uk licence here and that the licence number was too long i had done nothing wrong it was just a routine checkpoint that was in early 2007 so i exchanged it i moved bk to the uk during 2007 and exchanged the irish one bk for a uk one then moved bk here in 2008 and exchanged it bk for my irish one. Just was sick of being stopped as i am young and getting it in the neck about my licence even tho it is just as valid as an irish one. So i cant pick up points in the uk or northern ireland on my irish one? What happens if i was to get points in the uk and they go on my licence record will it still be 6 before i am back on a provisional?

Tell them it is a valid EU license and if they have a problem with it then tell them to arrest you. Total bullcrap, there is no LEGAL requirment to exchange.

I know i did all i got was a rucking so i was like yeh ill exchange it when i have time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

legally your driving on your International/EU leisencefor a year then you use your irish leisence ;)

• Advertisement

In ireland like the rest of the eu tho its valid untill the licence expires

So i cant pick up points in the uk or northern ireland on my irish one? What happens if i was to get points in the uk and they go on my licence record will it still be 6 before i am back on a provisional?

No you are ok as regards points they cannot be applied to an Irish license. However I did a fair bit of research into it as I was driving over there on my Irish license and basically if you are stopped they have two choices let you off or bring you to court. I would imagine in most instances you would be let off unless it was something serious though as it would be too much work and a foreign license holder may not turn up.

I understand if you were getting hassle but as craichoe said any EU license is as valid as an Irish one. You should have politely told her to f**k off.

Nah i wouldnt do that i see her far too often in town lol checking tax on cars parked up. Hmmmm i read somewhere that they can put points on a uk licence record and these be applied when you exchange a foreign licence for a uk one. But are these points activated from the date you done the offence or the day you exchanged the licence for the uk one? Also in the uk your only allowed to use ya irish one for 3 years before you stop driving or exchange it for a uk one

Hmmmm i read somewhere that they can put points on a uk licence record and these be applied when you exchange a foreign licence for a uk one. But are these points activated from the date you done the offence or the day you exchanged the licence for the uk one? Also in the uk your only allowed to use ya irish one for 3 years before you stop driving or exchange it for a uk one

I have heard a lot about this points being put on your licence record and then applied if you exchange your licence, to be honest I have never heard of it actually happening so I dont know how much truth is in it(my gut feeling is its crap talk). In anycase you dont have to exchange back to a uk licence so it wouldnt matter anyway.

I have also seen the bit of your licence only being valid for 3 years but that is complete rubbish. Your Irish licence is valid in the UK until it expires(as are all EU licences in all EU countries) and even when its runs out nothing stopping you from renewing the licence if you still have an address in the country that it was issued then you have it for another 10 years.

Hmmmm i was thinking that myself about how the uk says only 3 years yet under eu directive its valid for the life of the licence. I would always keep my irish licence now

• Advertisement
Advertisement