Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on selling house

Options
  • 04-12-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi
    just looking for a bit of advice on selling / moving house. have decided to put our house up for sale, we are aware that it may not sell or may take a long time to sell but we're not happy to stay in the area so have decided to give it a go.
    re the mortgage what happens when you move house? do you hold onto your current mortgage or do you have to re-apply? sorry if this seems like a stupid question, its just my other half has become self-employed since we bought our house so i dont think we would get approval again. we are just looking to spend whatever we would get for our current house rather than trade up.
    any advice on this issue or general advice on selling would be appreciated.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

well id say it all depends on wether ur new house is more or less expensive that what u have

i had to re apply when i bought my second house , had to sell first one and then close off that sale and then re-apply

usually they will approve it seeing as you had a mortage and jsut sold old house , but in todays market im not so sure , best maybe ring the bank and ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

badin wrote: »
    hi
    just looking for a bit of advice on selling / moving house. have decided to put our house up for sale, we are aware that it may not sell or may take a long time to sell but we're not happy to stay in the area so have decided to give it a go.
    re the mortgage what happens when you move house? do you hold onto your current mortgage or do you have to re-apply? sorry if this seems like a stupid question, its just my other half has become self-employed since we bought our house so i dont think we would get approval again. we are just looking to spend whatever we would get for our current house rather than trade up.
    thanks.

Would you not rent it out and then rent yourself elsewhere? Drop your price enough and you will sell. Ask an estate agent to be honest in valuing your property . Is swaping/trading houses possible in Ireland to avoid the mortgage stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hi
    thanks.

You will have absolute no problem in selling the house if you price it correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 badin

thanks for the replies. hadnt thought about renting or swapping, worth some consideration.
    will try to find an honest estate agent, is there such a thing?!! would much rather putting house up at a realistic price for a quick sale, problem is trying to figure out what that realistic price is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Is swaping/trading houses possible in Ireland to avoid the mortgage stuff?

No. That is unless you don't have a mortgage in the first place, in which case you can do what you like. But, if you have a mortgage you cannot simply swap to 'avoid the mortgage stuff' as the banks won't let you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

will try to find an honest estate agent, is there such a thing?!! would much rather putting house up at a realistic price for a quick sale, problem is trying to figure out what that realistic price is!

90% of people go with the estate agent who puts the highest value on your house, not always the person who gives the real market value. The market decides the value of your house not the estate agent, too cheap and bids will raise the price, too dear and you'll have to reduce until it its the market value

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

thanks for the replies. hadnt thought about renting or swapping, worth some consideration.

Well have a look around your area or nearing neighborhoods and see what prices they're looking for.

make sure your matching like for like.....and instruct the agent as to what price you want.

if the price is reasonable and offers good value the house will sell quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Namesco wrote: »
    90% of people go with the estate agent who puts the highest value on your house, not always the person who gives the real market value. The market decides the value of your house not the estate agent, too cheap and bids will raise the price, too dear and you'll have to reduce until it its the market value

Exactly, - EAs valuations aren't worth a curse these days. Look at what other people are asking in the area, - then ask yourself how realistic are their asking prices, - probably totally unrealistic.

I just sold recently, - if you ask a realistic price, ie. not peak of the bubble that is now complete history, you will sell.

I actually didn't use an EA at all, just advertised on daft and saved several thousand in fees. I can't recommend it enough.

Advertisement