Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podge and Rodge stuff in symths

Options
  • 04-12-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Was shopping in Symths last night and saw loadsa Podge and Rodge 'toys' in there. This was symths toy shop. Now I would expect to see this in an adult joke shop given the content of their "act" or something similar but I really thought this was completely inappropriate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I don't see what the problem is. It is not as if they are making you buy them for your 6 year old child.

They are offering them for sale, if you want them you buy them, if you don't you don't - very simple.

They also sell Computer games that are not suitable for all ages, does that annoy you as well?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

MrsA wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is. It is not as if they are making you buy them for your 6 year old child.

They are offering them for sale, if you want them you buy them, if you don't you don't - very simple.

They also sell Computer games that are not suitable for all ages, does that annoy you as well?

M

Ok so using your logic ("It is not as if they are making you buy them for your 6 year old"), symths should have vibrators for sale there too since thats ok since I am not buying them for my 6 year old also, and maybe some p*rn as well.?????????? great logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They also sell toy guns and tanks. And our local toyshop sells 'grown up' books and adult fancy dress items. A shop can sell what it wants. You dont have to buy it. And I doubt the P&R toys swear or are as rude as you see em on the telly anyway. If what you say is true and its inappropriate, then so is putting up Xmas decor in shops as it will offend the non christians who go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Do the Podge and Rodge toys have a child rating? If so then I don't mind..however if they're aimed at young children I would not be too impressed.

Videogames are sold with large stickers on them outlining the age suitability. It's not the game maker's fault if mammy ignores the large "18+" sticker when buying the game.

Oryx wrote: »
    They also sell toy guns and tanks..
    I dont think something like toy guns and tanks which I played with myself as a child can be compared to two t.v puppets whos act consists of a volley of filth?
    Oryx wrote: »
    then so is putting up Xmas decor in shops as it will offend the non christians who go in.
    I live in Ireland so I think xmas decorations are part of xmas??

• Advertisement

Do the Podge and Rodge toys have a child rating? If so then I don't mind..however if they're aimed at young children I would not be too impressed..

I didnt examine them close enough to see but they were on the shelf beside other toys aimed at 6 yr olds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Oh you really are in a knot over this aren't you?

Did you complain? Because if you didn't I don't know what the point of coming on here moaning about it is.

And no vibrators would not be in the same league as characters off the TV, fictional characters, puppets. Okay they are not suitable for children, but, you cannot compare them to a vibrator (unless of course you don't actually know what a vibrator is for??)

M

MrsA wrote: »
    Okay they are not suitable for children

which is my point - symths is a toy store. Toy stores are aimed at who ..err children.! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Smyths is a toy store, toy stores are aimed at people of all ages. Board games are sold there, cots and buggies are sold there, video games, mobile phones and collectables (action figures and Barbies etc are collectable items), are sold there.

It doesn't only sell toys!

You should of complained if you felt that strongly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

So do you think Smyths should also stop stocking Dark Knight toys/figures? They have far more of them than Podge and Rodge toys, and it has the same rating- 15s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I'm offended by a doll that sh*ts and p*sses, they should take those off the shelves so that when I go in to buy a videogame I don't have to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I would complain to both SMYTHS and RTE. That show is dusgusting. Just because puppets are saying it, doesnt make it any less vulgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Lmao. Are you serious?

They are on after the watershed,get over it.

(I will say that they were funnier when they had the scare at bed time. This show isn't doing much for me now.)

Toy shops stock more than just childrens stuff.

Facepalm. Vibrators? A ridiculous argument deserves a ridiculous response,move to cuckoos nest?!

Not everyone in ireland is christian.
    You expect that what annoys you is valid and should be taken seriously,yet because YOU have no problem with xmas,its ok? Now whos got great logic?

Guns and tanks kill people,lots of people. Making a toy of it,not a bad idea?
    (I've no problem with them btw,just pointing out ops ideas are a bit all over the place)

Kids playing with a doll that has genitals/pees is that not something that shouldn't be stocked?

Can you list for us what you think should stay and what should go?

Smiths is one of those large shops (like woodies is for diy)
    Its going to stock things for more than just one age group/race/religion/whatever.

If you don't like it,you are entitled to complain. You can also go to another shop.

Unless the podge and rodge "toys" are actually swearing if you press their tummies them I really don't think there is an argument here?

I really hope if it piddles you off enough to come on here moaning about it, that you complained in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I can go and buy 18 games in smyths, I can buy collectible action figure which featured in 18s only films. Parents need to be aware and watch what their children are interacting with instead of expecting the world to protect their child for them.

Most kids won't who or what podge and rodge are and will only see a soft toy with ginger hair that they don't know ( unless they look like a member of the family).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I know my little one has great fun going around Smyths pressing anything that half looks like a button expecting some sort of result... if the P & R toys do say vulgar things, I would, at least, expect them to be out of the reach of young children. I think it's reasonable enough for Smyths to sell them - but I also think it's reasonable for parents to assume that stuff in the lower levels of the shop are non-offensive.

It's over simpifying the situation to say that they are simply a "shop" entitled to sell anything they want. By their nature, toy shops are interactive and designed with children in mind, with the expectation that they will see and try things. Many toy shops go to even greater lengths to encourage and faciltate interaction and play with their products. In this environment, it is reasonable to expect that children will not come across offensive items. Not that it is wrong or inappropriate to sell them at all - just that the fact small kids will be going around trying stuff (by the nature and design of the store) is taken into consideration.

That's my 2 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Hey Hey Hey..... Smyths is for "big kids" too;) You could say the same for all the violent video games they sell.

Just saw thead said that ..... dang. Too quick lol.

It would appear SMyths went to the bother of putting a sign up about the podge and rodge soft toys. PodgeRodgeSign.jpg

Really what more to people want, ffs watch were your children and what they are doing even in a "toy" store.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I can go and buy 18 games in smyths, I can buy collectible action figure which featured in 18s only films. Parents need to be aware and watch what their children are interacting with instead of expecting the world to protect their child for them.

Most kids won't who or what podge and rodge are and will only see a soft toy with ginger hair that they don't know ( unless they look like a member of the family).

The difference is that those games arent masked as puppets and soft toys. I aprtially agree with parents need to stop expecting the world to protect their children. We do expect the law, the police, teachers, etc to protect our children and do not expect to see that kind of vulgarity masked as puppetry in a toy shop.

The difference is that those games arent masked as puppets and soft toys. I aprtially agree with parents need to stop expecting the world to protect their children. We do expect the law, the police, teachers, etc to protect our children and do not expect to see that kind of vulgarity masked as puppetry in a toy shop.

Theres.
    A.
    Sign.

What more do you want?

• Advertisement

First of the kids won't know that that podge and rodge are vulgar and there are both those
    "toys" in this house they belong to my co parent and I have heard what they say and
    my children hear worse on the street and on public transport.

Fair enough if a parent does not want thier child to hear a soft toy say
    "Fecking eejeit" or "scuttering gobshíte" in that case mind your child, heed the signs and steer your child away from them and if they do pick them up take them away from them
    before the trigger the voice box.

So they are adult toys? What are they doing in a toyshop?

Thaed I can see what you're saying, but by your logic you wouldnt have a problem with vibartors being sold in a toyshop, since it's up to the parents to protect the children.

and I'm guessing (no basis for this guess!) that they only say those things when you get them home and pull out the demo tab. Seriously, feckin eejit? there's protecting your child and then there's smothering your child.

So they are adult toys? What are they doing in a toyshop?

Thaed I can see what you're saying, but by your logic you wouldnt have a problem with vibartors being sold in a toyshop, since it's up to the parents to protect the children.

the difference is, a child sees a Vibrator in a shop and says, oooh mammy what's that, mammy has to explain that's it's a toy willy child asks why would anyone want a toy willy etc etc. Podge and Rodge; mam what are they; they're just dolls, and you keep walking.

There is a big difference between a SEX toy and a toy aimed at adults, they are not obsence or lewd, yes what they say maybe considered a bit rude but thats about it.
    Most kids would just see two funny looking charcters with ginger hair.

^ Some people dont like bad language. Its not as common to the American ear as it would be to the Irish ear.

I can admit I'm biased about this since I despise podge and rodge so probably cant be too objective.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

People remember that they were from a kids show, right?

People remember that they were from a kids show, right?

Any one who remembers them being on kids tv is my age :D

Nerin wrote: »
    Any one who remembers them being on kids tv is my age :D

Shurrrup you fetus I remember them and Ted, hell I remember when Zig and Zag first appeared on the Den.

• Advertisement

you're not helping the argument here nerin :p

Advertisement