Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland future / new manager (not a Keane thread!)

• 04-12-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Do you think the new manager will have his work cut out motivating these players?

Will the Drumaville consortium be prepared to invest more money in the club?

Has the club lost it's Irish bandwagon, or will this continue?!

Sam Allardyce appears to be the current favourite.

Diouf comes to mind with this potential appointment. Would he would be able to organise and motivate the rest of them?

It doesn't look like it would take much to get them midtable(1 win?!), so any manager coming in might think it an easy job of improving on last year's position.

However, Man Utd in the next game, and possibly a couple more difficult games after without a manager could see them lose their position quickly.

I would think its vital they get someone in quick or a relegation battle could be on the cards!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd say alot of the Irish people will have less of an interest without Keane - I'd admit certainly to being interested in them only because of him over the last few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Yeah, and all the Irish players who were failing to make it into the team this season will add to this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Allardyce would be a pretty good apppointment for them. He also signed diouf in the past and probably had him playing his best football since he's been in england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

anyone think they might keep the Irish theme and get someone like O Leary?

big Sam does seem like the obvious choice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Big Sam looks a shoe-in to be honest. Suits the club.

Looking at the list of others in the betting race: Sbragia (Not a chance), Curbishley (Can't see it happening, he'll most likely start back at a championship club), O'Leary (Possible, but too long out of the reckoning and maybe not interested), Brown (Happy enough where he is), Strachan (No), Billic (National team manager at present, no).

Outsider bet for me Roberto Martinez.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Big Sam looks a shoe-in to be honest. Suits the club.

Looking at the list of others in the betting race: Sbragia (Not a chance), Curbishley (Can't see it happening, he'll most likely start back at a championship club), O'Leary (Possible, but too long out of the reckoning and maybe not interested), Brown (Happy enough where he is), Strachan (No), Billic (National team manager at present, no).

Outsider bet for me Roberto Martinez.

Leave Roberto where he is, he's pursuing his destiny!!

Swansea City, CL champions 2014/2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Brian Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Think Owen Coyle would be a great appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

i'll take it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

**** it, I'm sending my C.V.

Last dude had no experience...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'll still watch them with some interest if only because they have a lot of Irish in the Squad (obviously alot less than before but some who are out of the team will maybe have a clean slate with a new manager.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There will certainly be a lot less traffic between Cork & Sunderland. Sam Allardyce is the name on everyone's lips. His style will be in direct contrast to the style Keane was trying to implement but it might be what they need if they get dragged in to a relegation battle. Tbh though I think they have enough about them to be more than a team of long ball merchants and so I hope Quinn has the balls to look outside the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

joe kinnear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Quinn to take over as caretaker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Would the Sunderland fans really want an ex-Magpie boss in charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For me this job is tailor-made for Alan Curbishley. The guy has a track record of keeping teams up and I'm sure with a chairman that will support him, he can take Sunderland forward. He will stabilise the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

no, please not curbs.

I like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

glenjamin wrote: »
    Would the Sunderland fans really want an ex-Magpie boss in charge?

A manager who is used to managing in front of half full stadiums, who plays horrible football, and who has an axe to grind with Newcastle, I would say they would be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Gordon Starchan would be a real coup for Sunderland. He's brough Celtic as far as they can be taken and might fancy a change/challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

For me this job is tailor-made for Alan Curbishley. The guy has a track record of keeping teams up and I'm sure with a chairman that will support him, he can take Sunderland forward. He will stabilise the club.

How about Kevin Keegan??

Now that would really put the cat among the pigeons. ha ha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

deisedevil wrote: »
    How about Kevin Keegan??

Can't see Quinn going for that (knowing how the fans would react), and certainly can't see Kevin going for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Only one man for the job imo. Stan "I'm the gaffer" Staunton.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Only one man for the job imo. Stan "I'm the gaffer" Staunton.

Yes please, anything to get him the hell away from Elland Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Dwight Yorke to take them into Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stan is still learning his trade though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Loco wrote: »

Sam Allardyce appears to be the current favourite.

Diouf comes to mind with this potential appointment. Would he would be able to organise and motivate the rest of them?

who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Can't see Quinn going for that (knowing how the fans would react), and certainly can't see Kevin going for it either.

Neither can I but the thought of it was funny. hence the :D at the end of the post.

Ah forget it, It's been a long boring day, anything seems funny now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Unearthly wrote: »
    Stan is still learning his trade though...

It might take him a while :)

He is getting worse and worse. Leeds had a decent defense last season, Stan comes on board as Assistant Manager and Defensive Coach and now our defence is one of the worst in the league.

He is an awful manager and an even worse coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He'll eventually get you back into the CL

trust me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

How about Kevin Keegan??

...with Shearer as his number 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I've had a few bob on Strachan - surely he's had enough of the days of winnin the Scottish league and gettin booted out of the Champions League early doors.

I think the consortium will want a good vibrant manager, that will get there team playing some sort of football. Big Sam on the other hand is a long ball merchant and not two pretty on the eye. Will be interesting to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I really think o'leary has a good chance of getting the job or curbs they would both bring a lot more experience and probably a bit more charisma to the job not to mention a better eye for transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How about Kevin Keegan??

You definitely should have used magpies, not pigeons:D

I was thinking it'll be O' Leary if its the Irish route, or Curbishly if not. Can't see them going for someone already doing a job elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

A guy I know in the car hire business was telling me he got a call to book a car to collect Avram Grant from the airport and bring him to the Stadium of Light.
    Avram Grant in charge of Sunderland? That'd be a weird combination!

For the guy thinking of betting on him at 5/1, don't, not when he's more than double those odds in the exchanges and probably elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just listened to an interview with Charlie Chawke (shareholder) on Setanta and he's devastated that Keane's gone. Says he basically has no interest in the club really anymore. Also said that every Irish person would have loved to have gone to see Sunderland at least once a season with Keane in charge and he always had people coming up to him asking how Sunderland were getting on :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just listened to an interview with Charlie Chawke (shareholder) on Setanta and he's devastated that Keane's gone. Says he basically has no interest in the club really anymore. Also said that every Irish person would have loved to have gone to see Sunderland at least once a season with Keane in charge and he always had people coming up to him asking how Sunderland were getting on :rolleyes:

I can only imagine it's long-lasting damage from the bullet in the leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

Quinn was spotting meeting Grant in the Clarion hotel today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just seen on the gambling forum that Billic is now 2/1 with some bookies to get the job.

I think that would be some appointment if they managed to get him.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

from todays Fiver
    THE RUMOUR MILL

Niall Quinn has invented a controversial new loyalty test for
    Sunderland fans. The scheme is provisionally called: Appointing Steve
    Staunton as Manager.

the lulz would be epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

opr wrote: »
    Just seen on the gambling forum that Billic is now 2/1 with some bookies to get the job.

I think that would be some appointment if they managed to get him.

Opr

Best place for odds on this is surely Boylesports? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I know from a friend Avram Grant was seen in Dublin Airport with Quinn a week or 2 ago
    so I'm guessing he's gonna be there next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

KevIRL wrote: »
    from todays Fiver

the lulz would be epic

Dear Niall,
    Please, please allow this to happen.
    From,
    a desperate Leeds fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Slavan Bilic is my dream Sunderland gaffer ATM but it will go to Curbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Boyle Sports have stopped taking bets on Roberto Mancini apparently :eek:

Personally can't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

A guy I know in the car hire business was telling me he got a call to book a car to collect Avram Grant from the airport and bring him to the Stadium of Light.
    Avram Grant in charge of Sunderland? That'd be a weird combination!

For the guy thinking of betting on him at 5/1, don't, not when he's more than double those odds in the exchanges and probably elsewhere.

Mates at car hire firms, people seeing Avvey at Dublin airport, FFS. Really, I smell the same type of sh1te that was wafting in the air when Didier Deschamps was apparently scampering about Dublin trying to find Merrion Square this time last year.
    I <3 GuanYin wrote: »

My cousin worked in one of his pubs years ago. Grade A *insert banned personal insult here* apparently.

The fact he was too tight to pay Securicor and got shot personally transferring a massive amount of his cash says it all really.

Reckon Sbragia might keep the job tbh. As for whether Irish interest will decline, Irish interest was generally little more than people taking a casual look at their results and hoping a team (previously) full of (mostly 3rd rate in fairness) Irish players wouldnt go down. Im sure most of us didnt want Reading to go down last season, there was no bandwagon moaning there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

With the way things have gone since Keane left I'd leave the job to Ricky Sbragia. He seems to be doing the business and Scots have a fine record managing in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Ellis Short poised to complete takeover of Sunderland

Ellis Short, the American businessman, could complete a full takeover of Sunderland by the summer of 2010. The president of Lone Star Funds, a Dallas-based private equity firm, already owns a substantial stake in the club and has an agreement in place to purchase the rest of the shares held by the predominantly Irish Drumaville Consortium.

Short’s involvement at the Stadium of Light, which was initiated through Niall Quinn, the chairman and driving force behind Drumaville — the group that bought Sunderland three years ago — has been welcomed within the club; his presence is neither hostile nor unwelcome. While the dynamics are changing on Wearside, ambition and progress remain the watchwords.

The American, an intensely private individual, has been in effective control of Sunderland for a number of months, funding the extensive purchases of Roy Keane, the former manager, during the previous transfer window.

He arrived at a propitious moment, not only given the strength of the dollar, but also because of the economic downturn, which has struck Ireland particularly badly.
    Related Links

Quinn has a sound relationship with Short, whose opinions have been informing the search for Sunderland’s new manager, but who has otherwise been content to leave matters to the club’s executive board. There is no threat to the position of Quinn, who, through his spell playing for the team, the donation of his testimonial proceeds to charity and his love of the region, has a deep and emotive bond with supporters.

If, as expected, Short takes outright charge of Sunderland over the next 18 months, the club will become the fourth in the Barclays Premier League to be wholly American-owned after Liverpool, Aston Villa and Manchester United. Newcastle United, who are up for sale, have also recently been in negotiations with two United States-based consortiums.

While the process of appointing Keane’s replacement is continuing, Ricky Sbragia, the first-team coach, is now the overwhelming bookmakers’ favourite to assume the role, having presided over a narrow 1-0 defeat away to Manchester United and consecutive 4-0 and 4-1 victories.

He is held in high regard in the dressing-room. “You can see from our performances that we like and respect Ricky,” Kenwyne Jones, the striker, said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/sunderland/article5386085.ece

The end of SundIreland?

Advertisement