Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The country's in recession. Let them eat cake!

Options
  • 04-12-2008 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Cork City Council will be voting on a proposal to increase the Lord Mayor's salary to over €120,000 per year, not including expenses and the cost of providing his car and driver.

Story here.

This country really needs a revolution. The rest of us are called upon to do our patriotic duty and tighten our belts while our great "leaders" vote themselves pay rises!

These pay increases are being considered at the same time as the City Council is facing major budget shortages.

The proposed increase will be voted upon at the Council's budget committee meeting on Monday 15th December.

I call on all concerned Corkonians to contact their local councillors to express their disgust and outrage at this proposal and to call upon the councillors to reject the proposal.

Contact details for all elected councillors can be found here.

Local elections take place next year, so maybe our great and good local reps need a reminder of who pays their bills (i.e. US)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Car is provided free by Fors Ireland IIRC, €120,000 sure thats for nothing.... <runs and ducks>

Will be in the coucil chamber next Monday so will start asking questions then.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Car is provided free by Fors Ireland IIRC, €120,000 sure thats for nothing....
    I was aware that the car itself has always been provided by Ford Ireland. However, the driver and running costs come out of the City Council's budget.
    <runs and ducks>
    Another one for the wall when the revolution comes:pac:
    Will be in the coucil chamber next Monday so will start asking questions then.

This proposal needs to be killed off before it ever goes to a vote.

There would be little enough justification for an increase in the Lord Mayor's salary during boom times; such a proposal during probably the worst recession this country has ever faced is nothing short of criminal.

I agree with you on the increase but at any time that is criminal, IF the postiion was directly elected you could have some say in the decision but the cozy they have in place should be deemed a cartel and therefore illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Be a member of the city council, member of FF, FG or Lab and then you wait..... and wait..... and wait.... Then it might be your turn.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

its a complete disgrace altogther. Sure thats what half the budget is too. pay increases for all the public sector workers. Its madness altogether. They really need to cop on and at least take a pay freeze. They are absolutely killing the country

How do you apply for the job?
    Be a member of the city council, member of FF, FG or Lab and then you wait..... and wait..... and wait.... Then it might be your turn

Don't you love our local "democracy"?
    suppafly wrote:
    its a complete disgrace altogther...They are absolutely killing the country

Well, put your disgust in writing by writing/emailing your local councillor(s).

Once again contact details are here.

Remember, local elections are being held next year. Use the leverage that gives you and tell your local "representative" just how much the proposed salary increase "disgusts" you.

Telling each other here how much a disgrace it is, how shocking it is will not have any effect.

Informing those who will be voting on the proposal will.

Use your voice, use what little power we have in this sham "democracy".

Tell the cretinous gombeen men that if they vote for this salary increase their trip on the gravy train that is politics in Ireland will be brought to an abrupt end come next year's elections.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

If its any consolation i blanked him and walked off today when he tried talking to me.hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

What a disgrace. It just gets worse by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mary Harney ate all the cake,lads. None for us:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

titan18 wrote: »
    Mary Harney ate all the cake,lads. None for us:mad:
    Don't think its just all the cake she ate!! Not even cake could do that to a person.

Well, for anyone interested, this motion was passed by our elite band of gombeen men by a margin of 22 to 5.

I have been unable to find out the names of those who voted for and against the proposal. I've tried to get my hands on the minutes of the meeting at which the vote was taken (15th December 2008) but with no luck.

This issue might seem like a drop in the ocean compared to the problems now facing the country. However, it's actions like this one that truly demonstrate just what our "elected" "representatives" think of us.

Time for them to go methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I am "glad" to see that u have the same problems that we have in my country...It's sad.

I am "glad" to see that u have the same problems that we have in my country...It's sad.

Would I be right in thinking you're Italian?

Italy and Ireland: both proudly Catholic countries who seem to have a major difficulty with the concept of electing honest, visionary truly representative politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

You're correct, I am italian...but I wouldn't blame so much the religion...we used to have the same problems during the roman empire, and they loved Zeus...lol
    I think really power (of whatever kind) it's really difficult to manage with honesty, the human nature :(

Advertisement