Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

failed the NCT

Options
  • 04-12-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

My car has just failed the NCt on bump stops!?! :confused:
    can someone please tell me what these are? before i call into my garage on way home
    he said they were missing and drew on the diagram where they should be, behind my rear tyres

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

Google is your friend:

bump stop n. small rubber object designed to protect MacPherson strut valves and fuel lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I googled and got this:

It is known to provide bump stops between the trunk lid and the surrounding bodywork of a saloon car (and between the tailgate and the body of a hatchback or estate car). The conventional bump stop consists of a solid rubber element which is mounted in a channel in the part of the bodywork that frames the trunk opening and which is compressed by the lid (or tailgate) upon closing

which is why i couldnt understand why NCT man was showing me them on the underside of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats someone mis-using the term for something else entirely. They're suspension componenets and quite important.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What kind of car? fiat?

which leads to my next question.... is this something which should have been picked up on in a "preNCT" service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

fifib wrote: »
    which leads to my next question.... is this something which should have been picked up on in a "preNCT" service?

Yes.

<rant>
    You shouldn't ever bother with "pre NCT checks", just use the NCT *as* a pre-NCT test. Most 'checks' cost more than the retest fee and do not have the full range of equipment available</rant>

This pre NCT racket is unreal. I mean, You cannot possibly win by doing this.

Even if you meet the most honest pre nct garage ever, they are most likely going to replace stuff that will probably pass the nct as they dont want you coming back saying they should have seen something if it happens to fail... That at a very honest garage.

In alot of places, they advertise free nct precheck just to get your car in and then do you for a few hundrerd for stuff that may or may not be needed and you still could quite probably fail.

Compare this to going straight for nct. ok, you fail but then you only fix whats needed and the cost of finding out is just the retest fee which is twenty something euro I think.

well my car was well over due for a services and new tyres...which it would definately have failed it over so i told my mechanic i was getting it NCT'd after the service and he said he'd do all the NCT checks on it to pass it!!
    <quote> Mr. Mechanic: it'll definately pass the NCT! <quote>

is it costly to get them replaced? another €30 for a re-test... im hoping they wont be too much to do...so much for trying to be saving these days!

thanks for all your help too!

Well is it an S class merc or a punto?

C3

• Advertisement

I wouldnt have a clue without seeing that car.

Advertisement