Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona - Probably the best soccer team in the world

• 04-12-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

I have seen Barca play a number of times this season and i must admit they are awesome. They are the best team on the planet at the moment, they play with attacking abandon in each match and simply rip teams apart.

Watching Barca play is a joy to behold and Messi is just out of this world. The only concern is can they keep it up for the rest of the season - i hope they can cause i got them to win the Champions League @ 6-1 (currently 5-1). They are going to stroll the Spanish League. If they can keep playing like they are, this will be the most glorious crowning of European Champions since AC hammered them 4-0 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Warper wrote: »
    I have seen Barca play a number of times this season and i must admit they are awesome. They are the best team on the planet at the moment, they play with attacking abandon in each match and simply rip teams apart.

Watching Barca play is a joy to behold and Messi is just out of this world. The only concern is can they keep it up for the rest of the season - i hope they can cause i got them to win the Champions League @ 6-1 (currently 5-1). They are going to stroll the Spanish League. If they can keep playing like they are, this will be the most glorious crowning of European Champions since AC hammered them 4-0 years ago.

They could struggle against Chelsea, United or Liverpool, who will, if they draw Barcelona, probably set themselves up to be very difficult to beat, 5 in midfield. United and Liverpool will definitely do this against them, and Liverpool are probably the best team in Europe at doing this. I still think one of those 3 english teams will win it. But Barcelona could very well pull it off - they've been awesome every time i've seen them this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Wrong.

I too have watched many a barca game this season. I have to say, I've seen them play better in past seasons.

Chelsea, Man Utd & Liverpool are all better. We will see this in the CL.

p.s.

Messi is unreal, we all know that.

Ronaldo is better though!

On current form Barca are the premiere team in Europe. They have retained the flair they had under Rijkaard but Pep guardiola has instilled a grit and tenacity in the team that was sorely lacking.

In the CL the teams who stand out for me so far have been themselves and Juventus.

the 4 English teams will have probably hit the gears by the last 16 though, so we'll see what happens then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Loco wrote: »
    Wrong.

I too have watched many a barca game this season. I have to say, I've seen them play better in past seasons.

Chelsea, Man Utd & Liverpool are all better. We will see this in the CL.

p.s.

Wrong and we will see in this years CL. Even last year Barca out-passed and out-played ManYoo in both semi-final's and they were playing absolute rubbish at the time. They are galvanised this year under 'Pep' and are really playing as a team. Getting rid of Deco and Ronaldinho was a great move.
    And seriously LOL that Ronaldo is better than Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Spoken like someone who stoped watching football about 6 months ago :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Barca outpassd Man U most certainly in the 2nd leg of the semi, but did they ever trouble United? Not at all. United were very comfortable throughout that game.

Agreed on the thrust of your original post though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The last team Barcelona will want to draw is Liverpool. Last time we hustled them off the park, and i reckon we'd do it again. They can be the best passing team in the world, but let's see them do it under the severest of pressure. The kind of pressure they won't get in the Spanish league.

gimmick wrote: »
    Barca outpassd Man U most certainly in the 2nd leg of the semi, but did they ever trouble United? Not at all. United were very comfortable throughout that game.

Agreed on the thrust of your original post though.

Agreed they created very little over the match(s) which was the disappointing thing but they were a completely different team back then. There seems to be something a bit special happening there this year and if they can keep Messi, Xavi and Iniesta fit i just cant seem them not winning it this year.

They do struggle at times against the really defensive teams like say Chelsea or Liverpool but over 2 legs their superior class will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Eto'o is just looking lethal. The goal last week with the outstretched outside of his boot. Wasn't even surprised when it went in. Clinical this season, the best in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Barcelona are a joy to watch. In fact I'd say this season they play nicer football than Arsenal (whom i support)!

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Barcelona are a joy to watch. In fact I'd say this season they play nicer football than Arsenal (whom i support)!

Plus, they win:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Noooooooooooooooooooooo, not another Messi v Ronaldo thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This is afr from that. its been mentioned twice in 10 posts.
    if they can keep Messi, Xavi and Iniesta fit

Iniesta has been injured for the last few weeks, so it will be great when he comes back - If for no other reason it gives Pep no excuses for picking Hleb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is no doubting that Barca are a quality outfit and will more than likely take La Liga with ease. Saying that, I have no idea how they will fare in Europe against any of the English clubs in the competitition.

Chelsea and United have what is possibly the perfect balance between attack and defence while Liverpool have the talent to force teams into making mistakes and are possibly the best at overcoming teams that, on paper, shouldn't be getting beaten. Arsenal, in my opinion, are possibly the best continental style club left in the tournament.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I expect PL clubs to dominate Europe for the next 1, 2, or 3 seasons but I wouldn't be surprised to see 3/4 PL clubs reach the semi finals. Barca are probably the one club that, at the moment anyway, that can muscle in on this group. The likes of Inter, Milan, Juve and Madrid can never be wrote off though and could easily become one of the tier one clubs again with 1 or 2 careful signings.

I'd love to see Arsenal play Barcelona over two legs to really put it to the test!

I'd love to see Arsenal play Barcelona over two legs to really put it to the test!

It would be a pretty special match alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'd say Barcelona have been consistenly playing more attractive football than Arsenal for the past 15 years bar last year and the year Titi scored like 30 goals and 25 assists. ;) Arsenal are just mini-Barcelona. (I'm joking btw)
    The last team Barcelona will want to draw is Liverpool. Last time we hustled them off the park, and i reckon we'd do it again. They can be the best passing team in the world, but let's see them do it under the severest of pressure. The kind of pressure they won't get in the Spanish league.

You hustled a team that was disjointed, full of slackers and had a hang-over from domestic and European success the season before. That was a disastrous season, full of laziness. There were key injuries that season too, so you didn't play against a proper Eto'o or Messi. I can definitely see the likes of Yaya Toure and Keita being able to handle a midfield like Chelsea's or Liverpools.

I don't think Barcelona should be fearing anyone, sure it'd be better to avoid Chelsea and Liverpool, but if we draw them there is no need to feel that we won't be able to go through over two legs.
    On current form Barca are the premiere team in Europe. They have retained the flair they had under Rijkaard but Pep guardiola has instilled a grit and tenacity in the team that was sorely lacking.

In the CL the teams who stand out for me so far have been themselves and Juventus.

the 4 English teams will have probably hit the gears by the last 16 though, so we'll see what happens then.

Good post.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'd say Barcelona have been consistenly playing more attractive football than Arsenal for the past 15 years bar last year and the year Titi scored like 30 goals and 25 assists.

I wouldn't like to compare the attractive (or lack there of) nature of Arsenal's football style pre-Wenger era TBH.

May I also add that I think the the relative dominance by PL clubs is as much down to their style of play and mindset as it is down to their squads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

seriously why didnt someone buy Eto'o in the summer when he was suposidly available?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to compare the attractive (or lack there of) nature of Arsenal's football style pre-Wenger era TBH.

I was kidding. :pac: Arsenal played their best football with Vieira and Titi imo, they had grit as well as finesse.

I don't see how everyone rights off teams that aren't from England, just look at the group tables, Atletico ahead of Liverpool (level on points), Porto ahead of Arsenal, Roma ahead of Chelsea and Man Utd ahead of Villareal only on GD. I don't see that huge gulf that everyone never shuts up about. Last year yes, but an English team didn't even win it the year before considering they had 3 semi-finalists.

I don't see how everyone rights off teams that aren't from England, just look at the group tables, Atletico ahead of Liverpool (level on points), Porto ahead of Arsenal, Roma ahead of Chelsea and Man Utd ahead of Villareal only on GD. I don't see that huge gulf that everyone never shuts up about. Last year yes, but an English team didn't even win it the year before considering they had 3 semi-finalists.

Eh, sorry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Having seen them a few times this year, they are in smashing form at the moment. Five points clear, iirc.

They've played much better than any other side I've seen this year. They play great football, like Arsenal, but, unlike Arsenal, they can beat the smaller teams consistently, well, a bit more consistently than Arsenal.

It will be interesting to see how they get on in the knock-outs of the CL. It could be their year...though I remember being equally impressed with them in 04/05 before Chelsea dumped 'em out of the CL with Carvalho's "man-marking" of Valdes.

Eh, sorry?

My bad, I thought it was Porto on 11.

they have been ridiculously dominant against decent opposition, remember the period where they scored six goals every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Messi has something like 15 goals and 15 assists in 14 games this season. I think he has more assists this season than Ronaldo's combined total for this season and last. Ronaldo has been all about goalscoring this last couple of years and Messi is by far the most creative player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Barcelona are playing the best football in europe at the moment. Absolutely nobody wants to draw them in the next round. Their biggest weakness is their defence with Valdes a liability at times and Pique still needing some more games. Although who cares when their philosophy can be you score two, we score three !

Saying that, going forward thier is not a team that can match them. 60 odd goals in 20 games this season averaging 3 per game and Messi 15, Eto'o 16 are on fire. I dont believe on current form anyone in europe will stop them at present as nobody else is even worth mentioning. Inter perhaps but their record is abmismal when it comes to the champions league although maybe this year we will see a change under Mourinho.

They will be a tough cookie to crack. Messi on form is unplayable, he can skip through defences at ease an create an opportunity. He has 15 goals and 12 assists already and only over a third the way through the season. He is the key no matter what Laporta and Guardiola come out with. If he does not play then they are very much a beatable side.

Samuel Eto'o has re-discovered his goalscoring touch and would anyone dare say their is a more lethal finisher. It was only two years ago he was widely regarded the best forward in the game and looks like he wants his crown back on this seasons showing. Then there is Xavi who well everyone knows is just pure class. To sum up and answer your question yes Barcelona are currently the best club side in football but things usually have a habit of changing rather quickly in football and the Champions league is always good for a few surprise's.

As good as they've been, a little patience before make threads like this, wait until they've played, Valencia, the Classico, and Villareal. Then we can make more threads about how great they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Barcelona have been on a purple patch recently so i think it's very rash to say they're the best team in the world while Man Utd, inter and Chelsea have yet too hit the ground running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

They are the best team on the planet at the moment
    Like I debated with eZe^ before, they haven't been tested yet. No Valencia, Madrid or Villareal to play yet and they have a joke of a Champions League group.

If they win the Champions League, feel free to bump this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I believe the tie between the two best teams in Europe last season was the United Barca game. Cracking team, the team I will always most want to avoid in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Spoken like someone who stoped watching football about 6 months ago :eek:

Spoken like someone who has never watched football :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Going by just this season they look the best out there. I hope they win the Spanish league - A joy to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

barcelona are a joy to watch but unfortunately great football dosent ensure success (ie arsenal)and imo if they meet one of the big guns they will be nulified . unfortunately the top epl teams have the ability to stop teams from playing which i suppose is an art in itself but not for the purists.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Barcelona have been on a purple patch recently so i think it's very rash to say they're the best team in the world while Man Utd, inter and Chelsea have yet too hit the ground running

To be fair, they've been unbeaten for 19 games, winning 15 of them, hardly 'just a purple patch'.
    Like I debated with eZe^ before, they haven't been tested yet. No Valencia, Madrid or Villareal to play yet and they have a joke of a Champions League group.

If they win the Champions League, feel free to bump this thread.

I agree with your sentiments to a certain extent, but they did go away to Sevilla and beat them comprehensively by 3 goals. That is the 2nd hardest game Barca will have this season. The 'haven't been tested' argument is slowly losing it's weight.
    PHB wrote: »
    Personally I believe the tie between the two best teams in Europe last season was the United Barca game. Cracking team, the team I will always most want to avoid in the CL.

Agreed, United are the most balanced of the EPL teams, devasting in attack when on form and a defense that's one of the best in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The best anything is subjective at best ;) in football moreso.

Are they the best team on paper? are they best at winning matches? are they best to watch?

In the last 3 weeks they have failed on all of the above. Are they "arsenal" of EPL or "Pats" of EL? easy on the eye, nice to watch but failing to win trophies due to a lack of a backbone.

The thread title is spot on probably the best soccer team in the world, sadly only a trophy at the end of the season will prove anything. And to be the best in the world CL and la Liga double is the only way to prove that they are indeed the best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think it's very rash to say that Barcelona have just a purple patch so the English sides haven't and therefore have not hit the ground running.

58 goals, 15 wins in 19 and Chelsea and United drawing against Newcastle, Aston Villa and Tottingham. Do they only have to draw once or twice to fail, dreamers75?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dfx- wrote: »
    Do they only have to draw once or twice to fail, dreamers75?

Depends on your opinion really:

To be the best the double is the only measure of it. thats it your reviewed on **** won rather than "could have beens"

To shut up any doubters they have to get maximum points from their next 3 games :eek:

Sat. 6 21:00 UK Barcelona v Valencia Camp Nou Spanish Primera División
    Sun. 14 16:00 UK Barcelona v Real Madrid Camp Nou Spanish Primera División
    Sun. 21 16:00 UK Villarreal v Barcelona Estadio El Madrigal Spanish Primera División

i would be a doubter being a Sevilla fan :D barca ***** :mad:

i expect barca to win the league, they are the only team that are consistent, noone else will offer a challenge unless barca stumble and xavi is injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

barcelona are the team that are easiest to like in the world imo.
    good players, great football, sponsored by unicef, owned by the people and no1 seems to be an out and out d1ck at the club

Jazzy wrote: »
    good players, great football, sponsored by unicef, owned by the people and no1 seems to be an out and out d1ck at the club

Laporta is a bit of a sly one tbh, but I challenge you to find a president in the Primera Liga who isn't. Titi is a bit of di*k at times too.

Plus, what's up with their supporters and their constant use of the 'oh we've been mistreated throughout history card'. Pfft, they'll get no sympathy from me tbh. :pac: Bunch of asses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah the di stefano incident was a stinker. and figo, well... some ppl are just greedy. loved when that jimmy jump fella threw the flag in his face.

actually, theres another reason to love barca - jimmyjump! i love that kinda thing, think its hilarious. love that remi gaillard fella too. so funny when ppl just take the absolute piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Any team with Xavi in it is going to be the best tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Barcelona haven't been tested yet. They play beautiful, attractive football that can be devistating IF you let them play it, which pretty much every team they've played this season has done. Over two legs, I think Chelsea and Liverpool would beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

wasnt this talked about last year too?

until they prove they can do it when the pressure is on at the business end of the season it is pre mature to crown them the best in the world in fairness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There is no comparison to Barcelona of last year especially or the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Are Atleti not a pretty 'testing' team? Arguably should have beaten Liverpool twice.

kryogen wrote: »
    wasnt this talked about last year too?

until they prove they can do it when the pressure is on at the business end of the season it is pre mature to crown them the best in the world in fairness

Barcelona were sh*t last season, the worst they've been in 6/7 years.

Barcelona were sh*t last season, the worst they've been in 6/7 years.

Exactly there is no comparison between the current team's form and last year. People can talk all they want about they havn't been tested and yes to some extent they are right - but the next 3 games will tell (as did last weeks hammering of Seville 3-0 away) . Realistically unless they fall apart the Spanish League is theirs and if/when they win the CL next May playing the kind of football you only see on FIFA09 then surely people will crown them the best team in the world this season and applaud in the stands with tears of joy in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Any team that has the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Messi and Etoo will obviously play beautiful football, they will win the La Liga this season IMO, their football is a joy to watch and Im pleasantly surprised by Pep.
    Although I want Madrid to win the league, only to keep up that trend of La Liga winners = PL winners :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

According to International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS) Barcelona are top of the club world rankings as of 30th November 2008.

http://www.iffhs.de/?10f42e00fa2d17f73702fa3016e23c17f7370eff3702bb1c2bbb6f28f53512

1. (1.) FC Barcelona España/4 278,0
    2. (3.) Manchester United FC England/4 263,0

---(1.) Liverpool FC England/4 263,0
    4. (6.) FC Bayern München Deutschland/4 260,0
    5. (5.) CA Boca Juniors Buenos Aires Argentina/4 258,0
    6. (4.) Chelsea FC London England/4 250,0
    7. (9.) Olympique Lyonnais France/4 237,0
    8. (10.) Arsenal FC London England/4 234,0

These rankings are assessed every month according to the previous 12 months results. Simple answer is yes Barcelona are the current best club side in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement