Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tight Spark plugs

Options
  • 04-12-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    It's time to change the plug on my car. I have one of those 'T wrench spanners', the problem is the last guy to service her over tightened the plugs I reakon, or else they are seized. I am turning the wrench anti clockwise but no joy. Anyone know an easier approach to this (wd40:eek:). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Your gadget is not up to the job as you plugs are probably too deep into the engine to turn this spanner on its side to get leverage so I assume you are just trying to turn it at the top via the T section. You wont be able to get them that way. You want a right plug socket with rachet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

mickdw wrote: »
    Your gadget is not up to the job as you plugs are probably too deep into the engine to turn this spanner on its side to get leverage so I assume you are just trying to turn it at the top via the T section. You wont be able to get them that way. You want a right plug socket with rachet

And probably with an extension shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hal1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    It's time to change the plug on my car. I have one of those 'T wrench spanners', the problem is the last guy to service her over tightened the plugs I reakon, or else they are seized. I am turning the wrench anti clockwise but no joy. Anyone know an easier approach to this (wd40:eek:). Thanks.

when you say you are turning anti clockwise, do you mean
    • the wrench has gripped the plug but its spinning in the threads and not coming out or
    • the wrench is just spinning but not turning the plug or
    • the wrench is gripping the plug, you are trying to turn it but its stuck?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was the engine warm or cold when you were doing this? Let it cool right down and it may be easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Or extend the T on each side with some pipe etc (but dont use this for tightening the new ones)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was thinking I might need a spark plug socket alright. It would make it an easier job. Hopefully I can buy the socket seperately.
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    when you say you are turning anti clockwise, do you mean
    • the wrench has gripped the plug but its spinning in the threads and not coming out or
    • the wrench is just spinning but not turning the plug or
    • the wrench is gripping the plug, you are trying to turn it but its stuck?

The wrench is gripping the plug, I am trying to turn it but its stuck.

kbannon wrote: »
    Was the engine warm or cold when you were doing this? Let it cool right down and it may be easier!

The car was cold. Thanks for the replys guys always important to get the right tools for the job. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The T tool is great for putting the plug back in but taking it out I have never had any success, I always use a socket I bought which has a rubber casing inside that locks onto the spark plug so when you loosen it the plug holds as you take it out, dead handy, think it was about €7 or €8, bought it from a DIY shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

A little trick of the trade is to use a plug lead or ignition coil, whichever the case may be, to plug into a loose spark plug that is down an ackward plughole, if your removal tool doesn't have a rubber insert inside to grip the plug head...

I got a spark plug spanner today and I was all ready to do the job. When I tried to remove the plug it wouldn't budge. I read that forcing it can lead to the plug breaking and is an expensive fix. The dam thing won't budge. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I got a spark plug spanner today and I was all ready to do the job. When I tried to remove the plug it wouldn't budge. I read that forcing it can lead to the plug breaking and is an expensive fix. The dam thing won't budge. :(

You'd be better off buying a socket as mickdw suggested. The tool you bought is not going to do anything with a stiff plug as it doesn't have a long enough handle. You can buy a socket handle and square drive, an extension bar, and a plug socket with a rubber insert that grips the plug. The handle is large enough to give good purchase, and a length of tubing can extend it to get more. The danger of breaking a plug is if the wrench you are using slips sideways and breaks off the ceramic part, and the tool you bought can easily do that as the handle is not fixed horizontally. The steel part of a plug is very strong, and you'd be unlikely to break it with normal force.

• Advertisement

I called a mechanic I've used before and ask him what he would suggest. He said to give the car a run so the plugs will be hot, causing them to expand. Then give them a quarter turn and spray with wd40 which should loosen them.
    I reakon the safest approach would be to get the socket set as mentioned by a previous poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

if there not moving how do you plan on giving em a 1/4 turn to put the wd40 in. As ya said proper socket set and your laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Hi,

I had this problem. The T Spanner was useless. I got a socket set instead and it was sorted. It is reccommended to apply a little pressure and knock the socket wrench with the butt of your hand in a hammering fashion as opposed to one big push as you are less likely to damage threads when loosening the spark plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That second tool is no better to be honest. You have convinced yourself they are too tight but they most likely are normal. You will end up cracking the top of a plug by messing with that tool and then you will have to buy some right gear to get it out anyway.
    If you are the type who likes doing these bits of jobs yourself, you need to invest in a socket set anyway for the many other jobs you will do.

Advertisement