Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Health Insurance?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick question - got a nasty surprise with my insurance renewal from quinn (adding almost 120 euros to the policy...) - so I wanted to cancel the policy. Rang them yesterday, got the runaround through various departments, then was told that a 'callback' was requested, and they'd ring me back asap. That was yesterday morning, and no phone call since.

Is this just a simple delaying tactic, hoping that I would give up and not cancel the policy?

I sent the cancellation off in writing today - can I assume that everything will be ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Do you pay by direct debit or cheque? You have phoned and written. While this should be enough in a normal world, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to push ahead on it. If you don't pay though they won't cover you. So cancel the direct debit if thats how you pay and you should be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Be careful. I canceled with quinn last year because I used to pay monthly, but from last year they considered this a loan and wanted to charge interest on the premium.

If you have had health insurance for a year you have served your waiting periods, make sure you have another service provider set up so you don't have to serve the waiting period again.

I switched to Vivis and they did most of the switching for me, straight swap my premium was the same as the original 1 I had with Quinn.

Research another provider 1st before you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Thanks for that!

I have arranged a new deal with VHI, so I'm covered - I just don't want the surprise of having two health insurance policies to pay for next year. Will cancel the direct debit now as well.

I assume though that even after I cancelled the policy I can still claim for this year's health costs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Yes, you you are covered for last years costs :)

I have heard that Quinn do not make it easy to claim (thats why I changed) but hopefully it will all be smooth for you.

Advertisement