Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbed by Garda (possible cospiracy!) - ***Reward***

Options
  • 04-12-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Got a fine of 40€ at the end of October for parking on the yellow lines, I sent my payment after 2 weeks (with Credit Card details) via mail to the Garda office in Co. Clare (as instructed in the fine) but I noticed that my Credit Card wasn't charged, and this afternoon I proactively call the Garda to enquiry about it and they say that they never received my payment.

I asked if I can then pay via phone now before the fine increases to 60€, and they say ok but the fine has already increased. I went ahead and paid (before they increase it more), but I would like to know if there is anything I can do about it?

I mean for what I know they have lost the fine on their side! They could be doing this deliberately to increase their profit. So as far as I am concerned the Garda could be committing a crime of fraud and I could be witnessing a conspiracy against innocent fine-payers! :mad:

I offer a reward of 15€* to whomever provides me useful information to get my 20€ difference back.

*Reward payable after I get my 20€ back - T&Cs apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Did you use registered post?

Is there any reason at all for someone processing the payments to want you to pay the €20 extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Is there any reason at all for someone processing the payments to want you to pay the €20 extra?
    +1

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Conspiracy, I tell you, we are after something big here! I feel followed these days! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

TripleAce wrote: »
    Got a fine of 40€ at the end of October for parking on the yellow lines, I sent my payment after 2 weeks (with Credit Card details) via mail to the Garda office in Co. Clare (as instructed in the fine) but I noticed that my Credit Card wasn't charged, and this afternoon I proactively call the Garda to enquiry about it and they say that they never received my payment.

I asked if I can then pay via phone now before the fine increases to 60€, and they say ok but the fine has already increased. I went ahead and paid (before they increase it more), but I would like to know if there is anything I can do about it?

I mean for what I know they have lost the fine on their side! They could be doing this deliberately to increase their profit. So as far as I am concerned the Garda could be committing a crime of fraud and I could be witnessing a conspiracy against innocent fine-payers! :mad:

I offer a reward of 15€* to whomever provides me useful information to get my 20€ difference back.

*Reward payable after I get my 20€ back - T&Cs apply.

Wait wait wait....maybe I'm reading this wrongly, but you sent your credit card details via post to them and are now wondering why it wasn't paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would never suggest sending any so important by regular post anyway especially not credit card details.

Anyhow, you should bear in mind unless you can prove they received the payment you havent a leg to stand on.

Considering you have already paid the €60 you are nearly over a barrell.

When I worked in an Isurance company people were convinced we were declining claims to make more money. I never received a penny extra so Im sure the Gardai have no incentive to do the same.

If you are extremely passionate about it you should contact the Sergeant and failing that you should contact the Garda Ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I am sorry to hear about your dillema, but where you said...
    I sent my payment after 2 weeks (with Credit Card details) via mail

... my face did this... :eek:

I have never been in your shoes, but if a member of the Gardai told me I could send them my credit card details via the post then I would probably take down as much detail about them as possible and report them (while of course taking care of the fine using more secure and suitable means ASAP).

Don't put sensitive data about yourself out in the open. The recipient or circumstances will not eliminate the risk of doing so.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Wait wait wait....maybe I'm reading this wrongly, but you sent your credit card details via post to them and are now wondering why it wasn't paid?

This was in the payment form they sent me...I just followed the procedure...

ve wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear about your dillema, but where you said...

... my face did this... :eek:

I have never been in your shoes, but if a member of the Gardai told me I could send them my credit card details via the post then I would probably take down as much detail about them as possible and report them (while of course taking care of the fine using more secure and suitable means ASAP).

Don't put sensitive data about yourself out in the open. The recipient or circumstances will not eliminate the risk of doing so.

Test it out....park in the yellow lines, and wait for the form you get sent at home ;)

I don't worry too much about credit card details.....I use my credit card about 15 times/month and never had major problems. People over-worry about it IMO. Also have payment protection on it of course.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got a parking fine before. An easier option was to just pay it in the post office I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I got a message under my windscreen wiper say "Parking Fine" once.
    I thought that was rather nice, I do try my best.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Jumpy wrote: »
    I got a message under my windscreen wiper say "Parking Fine" once.
    I thought that was rather nice, I do try my best.
    Ha very good. I wish I had a car so I could be complimented on such fine parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well did you register it??

Advertisement