Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Burner - new pump question

Options
  • 04-12-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

i should first of say that i am no expert on home heating, the boiler and how it all works.

we have a grant euroflame 70 which is circa 10 years old which a couple of services seem to work very well.

we forgot to check the oil recently and having run out we have filled the tank and couldnt bleed it through. after a engineer visited today it seems we have a leak from the pump and he didn't hold out much hope of being able to find a replacement.

can anyone advise where i should be looking to try and find a replacement or worse case scenario how much i can expect to pay for a new burner unti

just what we need 3 weeks before christmas!!:(

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

give him this
    http://www.heatmerchants.ie/heat/index.html
    [URL="javascript:prdWin('497076');"]497076[/URL] RIELLO 3008654 PUMP133.55162.26
    http://www.grantuk.com/userfiles/download_29.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

I wonder what he did to make it leak.If you can get the model of pump I can give you the danfoss equivalent replacement.If you are buying a new burner check with Grants first to see if it will fit,as space can be tight.To give you an idea of prices I recently got a quote for a Riello 40 g3 burner for 215e +vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You are probably better off just buying the G3. If there was a Minor 1 burner with the grant - scrap it - it is from the early 90's anyway. If it was a Riello - you can't fit a Danfos pump - and the Riello pump costs almost half the price of a new burner.

Usually if you run out of oil, you bleed the pump and away it goes - I wonder what caused the leak. What make burner is it anyway ?
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

many thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

i have removed the unit and it is some sort of red yoke with a GE Grant logo and the outage details etc... (its 1993:eek:) and the pump (on the left below the red button) has a yellow front with the name delta on it. this of course means nothing to me.

i do have to stand by the engineer as i did watch him while he looked at it and he did not touch the pump. form what he said it could be that the seal inside the unit is worn

I think that is a Minor 1 - a new oil pump is a waste of time - scrap it and get a Riello G3b. This will have a mounting plate with it and will fit perfectly. If you have gas oil instead of kerosene, get the engineer to change the nozzle and re-adjust the burner.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

many thanks for the advice. can you point me in the right direction or will an engineer be able to source one?

thanks

matt cork wrote: »
    many thanks for the advice. can you point me in the right direction or will an engineer be able to source one?

thanks

Heatmerchants or any heating supplier. Grant use the Riello, so it is probably the best one to use. If you have kerosene, a Bentone would also work - not as good for gas oil. The Service engineer will know where to get one.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    Heatmerchants or any heating supplier. Grant use the Riello, so it is probably the best one to use. If you have kerosene, a Bentone would also work - not as good for gas oil. The Service engineer will know where to get one.
    Jim.

cheers for the advice. paid 267 inc vat for a g3 at heat merchants and a further 50 notes installation. a necessary, but unwanted, expense this time of yeat bu the house now has heat!!

cheers once again

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fair Play, you got a good price on the burner, considering your not in trade, and an even better price on the fitting of it.

Advertisement